• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Isekai Quartet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm not sure about the "top button" joke either, but my guess is that it has to do with giving the top button of your school uniform to your girlfriend (not much of a talent). Since his uniform style doesn't precisely have a top button, he apparently was going for the next best thing, the top button of his trousers. There may be other puns at work there though, or something altogether different.

Someone on reddit said:

Quote:
One of the tropes of the impromptu Japanese talent show is the guy who strips off his shirt, draws a face on his belly, and then dances to cause it to do stupid stuff.

No idea if that's true.

Also apparently Grantz and Subaru are voiced by the same VA which makes Darkness' talent showing a bit funnier.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:43 pm Reply with quote
^ I know what they're talking about, and they could very well be right, but I don't quite see what "top button" would have to do with it, even if it refers to a belly button, since that's not exactly the top of the "face." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
JWagnesh8

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I certainly wasn't expecting Ainz's "snow show" after Megumin's piece de brisance. Darkness, though--holy crap, I fully sympathize with Kazuma. Even among complete strangers not from your world, shield maiden? Really? Reaaaaally? If everyone else only knew . . . .
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:46 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^ I know what they're talking about, and they could very well be right, but I don't quite see what "top button" would have to do with it, even if it refers to a belly button, since that's not exactly the top of the "face." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Listening to the voice acting very close I think he is saying hajimemasu right before Tanya hits him with the spell (I can't make out what else he says because of interference from Tanya's spell chant (heh)). I think that means he is about to start something (striptease?). I dunno what the face means, but maybe removing the button is simply the first step to getting some clothes off. When he gets hit by Tanya's spell, he has taken his jacket off and unbuttoned his shirt.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
So I guess they just live in a place similiar to their own home?

Quote:
Ains bringing this up in private wouldn't cause any story problems either. It will be interesting to see whether or not this has any consequences down the line in Isekai Quartet.

That definitely would be an interesting conversation to see play out, but I'd be surprised to see it as it seems like too serious of a conversation to have in this comedy spin-off
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:30 am Reply with quote
As someone who hasn't seen Overlord, does Hamsuke find cursed people extra tasty or something or is Subaru just born to suffer?
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Since Subaru is unable to tell anyone about this, that makes Ains the first person to learn this dark truth about Subaru, and while we don't see any sign of him using analysis magic, I have to wonder if he didn't at least get the gist by looking at it.

spoiler[I am pretty certain that it was alluded to in the series that Roswall knows about Subaru's RBD, not that any of this matters for Isekai Quartet.] I'm pretty sure that this series wouldn't be considered canon any way.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:51 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
As someone who hasn't seen Overlord, does Hamsuke find cursed people extra tasty or something or is Subaru just born to suffer?

She [Hamsuke] doesn't chew on folks in Overlord,so...a nod to Subaru's fans.
(Edit: She does hug/cuddle her Death Knight friend alot though.)
Rob49152

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:47 am Reply with quote
Man I am loving this show more than I thought I would. Having watched all 4 shows featured in this series makes it seem very comfortable to watch. I get a kick out of watching all the interactions of the characters. But Darkness is a little over the top I feel.
I'd love full 25 minute episodes!!
michizure

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, Episode 8 gave us back-to-back lines from Emilia and Megumin, but not what I would call interaction. Still waiting...

I have to say, I found the translation disappointing this time. It felt like there was a lot going on that the subtitles didn't even try to capture. In an anime with more mainstream appeal I could understand not wanting to get into tsukkomi and gap moe, but just who do they think is the audience for this series?
catbot158

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Note to Editor on Episode 8 Review:

Is "Aura" supposed to be Aqua? There's also a character named Aura in the Overlord crew, so I got a little confused.

Thanks for a fun review this week!
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(On an unrelated note, also watch for another cameo of the weapon-smith from Re:Zero at the end.)

This guy's from Konosuba actually, and as far as I know he's just another adventurer. The man from Re:Zero you were probably thinking of is actually an apple vendor. Or, excuse me, an "appa" vendor.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
^
Ugh, that's what I get for trying to do that from memory.

Anyway, that at the Aura/Aqua mistake have been corrected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:01 pm Reply with quote
^ Heh, you missed a couple. Next to last paragraph and the first footnote.

The speedo shopping was indeed a spit-take moment, what with the pelvis printed right on the suit. I'd so love to see Ains in swimwear, but I'm pretty sure we're not going to get that. It would be hilarious though.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:55 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The speedo shopping was indeed a spit-take moment, what with the pelvis printed right on the suit.

OH, I didn't even notice that. That actually makes that scene a lot funnier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6