• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
So there's only one demon in the entire world who can turn people...then pretty much immediately after learning who this one demon is when he could be literally anywhere, the protagonist just happens to run into him in basically the very first place he wasn't even really looking.

He's not the only demon that can turn people. He just might be the only one who knows how to turn demons back into people. And while he could be anywhere, he's got good reasons to be in Tokyo (family to hide behind, several million people to hide among...and eat). Don't forget that Tanjirou was sent there, so I'm thinking their meeting wasn't entirely a coincidence.

Dunno why he was out in the boonies killing Tanjirou's family, but we just met the guy, so hopefully that will be explained. Not that it will change your opinion even if they explain everything.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:02 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
To get a demon with a gimmick to up the ante/show that demons can just do whatever

And yet the way that Tanjiro deals with him is exactly the same as the one (1) other demon we've seen him fight at length. Make a couple mistakes, learn to swing his sword better. Is every battle just going to be, "Oh no I missed," "Calm down, me," "I'm mad about demon injustices!!!" "I learned nothing useful..."

Gina Szanboti wrote:
He's not the only demon that can turn people. He just might be the only one who knows how to turn demons back into people.

Maybe I read the subtitles wrong, but to my memory Sakonji explicitly stated that only Mukan's blood(?) can turn a human into a demon. Otherwise how would Sakonji deduce that Mukan was the one to attack Tanjiro's family?

Gina Szanboti wrote:
And while he could be anywhere, he's got good reasons to be in Tokyo (family to hide behind, several million people to hide among...and eat). Don't forget that Tanjirou was sent there, so I'm thinking their meeting wasn't entirely a coincidence.

Whether it's coincidence or "coincidence," that doesn't change the fact that it's pretty poor plotting from a show that feels decidedly directionless. What is this all leading towards? I have no sense of where the narrative goal posts have been set, because every episode is just another exercise in moving them. What exactly is Tanjiro's plan to get whatever information Mukan can offer to him? To torture it out of him? His journey made sense when the idea was that learning more about demons (in a general sense), and traveling with his sister in particular and deriving inferences about her unique qualities, would provide clues as to what makes demons the way they are and how the alterations could, perhaps, be reversed, mitigated, etc. Instead we have mumbo jumbo about mind control/hypnotism robbing Nezuko of whatever shreds of agency she had left and a bad guy that Tanjiro can't really do anything with at this stage.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Dunno why he was out in the boonies killing Tanjirou's family, but we just met the guy, so hopefully that will be explained. Not that it will change your opinion even if they explain everything.

The show doesn't need better explanations, it needs better premises. My opinion will change when the story is laid out better.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:41 am Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
And yet the way that Tanjiro deals with him is exactly the same as the one (1) other demon we've seen him fight at length. Make a couple mistakes, learn to swing his sword better. Is every battle just going to be, "Oh no I missed," "Calm down, me," "I'm mad about demon injustices!!!" "I learned nothing useful..."

He did do the special move that's only doable in the water/swamp thing, so I guess we can look forward to more gimmicks being countered by "haHA there's a special move exactly for this type of situation" that's just swinging his sword like he usually does.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:44 am Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
He's not the only demon that can turn people. He just might be the only one who knows how to turn demons back into people.

Maybe I read the subtitles wrong, but to my memory Sakonji explicitly stated that only Mukan's blood(?) can turn a human into a demon. Otherwise how would Sakonji deduce that Mukan was the one to attack Tanjiro's family?

Well, according to the latest episode, it looks like you're right, and I didn't remember the details of what Urokodaki had said on the matter (nor did I even notice Tanjirou's head bandage in that scene, which might have something to do with why his scar changed). I was going by what Giyuu said in episode 1: "Because her wounds were exposed to demon blood, she turned into a demon. That's how man-eating demons multiply." Guess no one bothered to fill him in on how it works. Smile

But we also got a hint this episode as to why he might've been out in the sticks attacking Tanjirou's family. So I'm trusting things will be filled in in due time and my patience will be rewarded. If you don't like how the story is laid out, I can't help you. That's a matter of taste, and they're doing fine by me so far.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:50 am Reply with quote
Does the show still have any reason for keeping Nezuko with the bamboo on her mouth? We've learned she's been hypnotized to see everyone as her family and there are other demons going around talking perfectly fine without eating people.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:30 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Does the show still have any reason for keeping Nezuko with the bamboo on her mouth?

Gag fetish?

I liked that the udon seller actually addressed it this week (and scolded Tanjirou for wasting his food because that's what hurt me the most last ep... Crying or Very sad ).

With the arrival of the "demon doctor" and her assistant(?), i'm also looking forward to learning more about demons now.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:15 am Reply with quote
Did Manjiro ever pay for those bowls of udon?
Kharthasus

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:02 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Does the show still have any reason for keeping Nezuko with the bamboo on her mouth?

Well, accidents can happen. It's like you wearing a mask when you have a flu, even though you will never sneeze into people on purpose. And unlike the two demons introduced in this episode, Nezuko still hasn't fully regained her human self yet.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I was going by what Giyuu said in episode 1: "Because her wounds were exposed to demon blood, she turned into a demon. That's how man-eating demons multiply." Guess no one bothered to fill him in on how it works. Smile

That would have made more sense though, that in the rare case anyone survives they become a demon (like a werewolf) and that would be why you would need a secret demon hunting squad all over the country (or world?). Making it only able to be done by one person (presuming he can't share the ability) makes you wonder how this organization hasn't been able to wipe out the demons yet, not to mention how he gets around so much to constantly create more demons all over (though I guess that could be because he goes to remote places to feed away from prying eyes...)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:06 am Reply with quote
^ Considering how easily he can make new demons, I have no trouble believing he could make enough to keep the Demon Slayers busy. Also, from this episode, he seems to have been specifically looking for Tanjirou's family, and has been for a long time, hence his far-flung travels. I suspect (but do not know) spoiler[that he left Nezuko alive and demonic to finish off Tanjirou whenever he came home. He just miscalculated the strength of their bonds. Which was probably why he was extra pissed-off to run into Tanjurou in Tokyo.]

But it could well be that some of his minions can also turn people - it could be as simple as carrying around little vials of his blood to do just that, making what Giyuu said still correct.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:32 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Does the show still have any reason for keeping Nezuko with the bamboo on her mouth? We've learned she's been hypnotized to see everyone as her family and there are other demons going around talking perfectly fine without eating people.

It's a necessary precaution. They can't just assume the hypnotism will always work, or can't be undone by some demon, or that big bro will always be around to keep her in check.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^ Considering how easily he can make new demons, I have no trouble believing he could make enough to keep the Demon Slayers busy. Also, from this episode, he seems to have been specifically looking for Tanjirou's family, and has been for a long time, hence his far-flung travels. I suspect (but do not know) spoiler[that he left Nezuko alive and demonic to finish off Tanjirou whenever he came home. He just miscalculated the strength of their bonds. Which was probably why he was extra pissed-off to run into Tanjurou in Tokyo.]

But it could well be that some of his minions can also turn people - it could be as simple as carrying around little vials of his blood to do just that, making what Giyuu said still correct.
You and me are on the same wavelength here. I think he was targeting them. I have no knowledge of the manga, but that would be a logical reason why this family is victimized far away from everyone else.

This show is great btw. Easily my favorite this year thus far. It's a solid premise with a strong emotional performance. Very stylized anime, so that helps a lot. I know it's good when for me I look at the number of episodes and think...I want this to be 52 episodes long. We haven't even met all of these various people in the opening, and I want to know all about them as well.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:
To get a demon with a gimmick to up the ante/show that demons can just do whatever

It's best to think of this show like My Hero Academia: It doesn't reinvent the wheel, it's just a really cool wheel.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:46 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
It's best to think of this show like My Hero Academia: It doesn't reinvent the wheel, it just a really cool wheel.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. I also agree with James' take on the most recent episode. At least partly because of the animation, it just takes the normal shonen beats and does them better.

Right now this is, at worst, one of my top three shows of the season, up there with Fruits Basket and Isekai Quartet (probably my #1 unless it stumbles, as it's working its concept to perfection).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
skull-worm things

You mean blood vessels? We all got body-worm things crawling all through our meatbags under the skin... Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 20