• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Licenses Shinkai's Weathering With You Film for Early 2020 Screening

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j_plex

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:30 am Reply with quote
Why do so many summer anime film promos feature fiying middle or high school girls? Patema Inverted. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Castle in the Sky. Mirai no Mirai. Now this. Then again if the alternative is stuff like the Strike Witches and Kemono Friends promos never mind.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:39 am Reply with quote
I just hope this film is closer in spirit to a Your Name than many of his previous films, if GKIDS is going to give it that prestige, awards season push. They will easily be able to get it in more Academy conversations than Funimation ever could at that time.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:40 am Reply with quote
huh..GKIDS and not Funimation? that's a surprise to me. hopefully I'll be healthy enough to watch it in theaters.... Shinkai films deserve seeing in the best quality possible
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:12 am Reply with quote
My gosh, so GKids is gonna make the US wait 6+ months just like Funimation did with Your Name? That really irritates me. Watch the UK and other countries get wide releases this fall... Rolling Eyes
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:08 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
My gosh, so GKids is gonna make the US wait 6+ months just like Funimation did with Your Name? That really irritates me. Watch the UK and other countries get wide releases this fall... Rolling Eyes

They can't do anything about that.
The owners of the film have deals in place with multiple companies and it's ALWAYS been like this for film distribution and home video releases where they're dealing with multiple territories.
The release schedules are done this way to allow for things like dubbing and selling video on market without having to worry about bootlegging and reverse importation in some cases.
The reason they can do European releases ahead of the US is the region/territory lockout on the European discs. Euro discs are Region B for Blu ray, Region /PAL standard for DVD. You can get region-free players to play European discs but they're NOT fool-proof. They've found ways to encode Blu ray discs to check players and lock them out if they discover those players have been modded. That's the difference between Blu ray and DVD. DVD lockout is based on a fixed hardware standard which has been cracked for many years. Blu ray is an evolving software-based lockout standard which is why it's critical to have Internet access to be able to update your player's firmware IF they change keys (software) for the security standards of Blu ray.
For Japan and the US, that's not an option for Blu ray for the most part since Japan and US share the same region code on Blu ray (A). On DVD, it's a different story BUT the majority of hardcore collectors are buying their anime on Blu ray anyway!
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
@GeorgeC, my comment had nothing to do with disc releases and everything to do with theatrical. The US seems to get anime home video before Europe most of the time anyways, but that is besides the point. I don't see how the US having region A blu-rays forces us to have a theatrical wide release months after the UK gets one like Your Name and A Silent Voice. Not to mention we got Your Name on home video like 24 hours before the UK, but their theatrical premiere was months before ours.
Coldcherrii

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:29 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
@GeorgeC, my comment had nothing to do with disc releases and everything to do with theatrical. The US seems to get anime home video before Europe most of the time anyways, but that is besides the point. I don't see how the US having region A blu-rays forces us to have a theatrical wide release months after the UK gets one like Your Name and A Silent Voice. Not to mention we got Your Name on home video like 24 hours before the UK, but their theatrical premiere was months before ours.
I believe it was because the UK (Anime Limited I think it was the company name) commissioned the dub for Your Name, with Funimation and NYAV Post producing the dub.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! I was really hoping GKids would get the license for this!!
Xe4

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Somebody wants an Oscar nom.

All kidding aside, this is a great get for GKIDS. Even though a small part of me wants this and the Millenium Actress grab by Eleven Arts swapped, I'm just happy we're getting both I suppose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1