• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: AnimeNEXT Staff Launch Investigation Into Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Former Con

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:37 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Vic had zero receipts and evidence against him, and thankfully after a few weeks from the initial accusations people noticed there still wasn't and public opinion started shifting back around in his favor. Nowadays he's getting convention invites left and right as new evidences pops up thanks to his lawsuit that shows he was vindicated all along.

Vic is seeking monetary damages for companies like Funimation firing him which he feels is not just....in other words his lawsuit regardless of how turns out (it'll likely be settled at best, dropped at worst) won't exonerate him of the allegations surrounding him as that's not what the case itself centers on. And as far as know it's still working it's way through the court.

Commander Cluck wrote:
But this accusation is boring. He asked legal-aged women out for drinks,

Hmmmm

Quote:

He described the complaints as.........inviting women under the age of 21 to drink in his room at night,
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:33 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

That seems like a very conspiratorial view of the situation. People quickly sided against ProJared because there were actual receipts and mountains of tangible evidence levied against him. A few people initially defended him, like his former co-creators, but after the evidence dropped they recanted and dropped him, and he quickly became the laughing stock of the internet. Vic had zero receipts and evidence against him, and thankfully after a few weeks from the initial accusations people noticed there still wasn't and public opinion started shifting back around in his favor. Nowadays he's getting convention invites left and right as new evidences pops up thanks to his lawsuit that shows he was vindicated all along.

But you are correct about this guy. He does not have the fanbase or popularity Vic does, so if this is another case of his career being ruined because of anonymous accusations and hearsay, he probably won't get the amount of support Vic did. But as far as this article mentions, he hasn't be fired yet, so it hasn't come to that yet. Of course, it's also possible some receipts of him doing sexual misconduct will appear as well, so we'll have to wait and see how this plays out.

You’re delusional if you think any of this is true. Vic is screwed. He can’t even get his fellow VAs on his side. He hasn't at all been vindicated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Where’s the evidence? I demand 4K video footage from several angles! I bet this is because a jelly bean!

Ow, it hurts to pretend to be that dumb.

You would think after the ProJared thing people wouldn't mock this idea that evidence is somehow hard to obtain when literally hours after Jared's accusation he had dozens of his private photos and conversation logs posted all over the internet. It's only hard to produce when it doesn't exist.

But this accusation is boring. He asked legal-aged women out for drinks, they said no, and he moved on? That's called hooking up, and it's quite common at conventions. I don't see how that's inappropriate at all.

That's an extreme example. Most people aren't stupid enough to have such records logged to begin with. Second, in cases like this you'd have to have had cameras with full audio running and close enough to take good images of the faces to be proper evidence. Odds of that happening are extremely low when two people are alone.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
As painful as these past few months have been, this kind of reckoning was long overdue and I'm glad it's continuing.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
As painful as these past few months have been, this kind of reckoning was long overdue and I'm glad it's continuing.

Honestly I can't say I agree. Since the start of the MeToo movement Due Process has been tossed out the window. I fear for the future of this country and society in general when you are guilty by default and judged by mob trial. This is resulting is regression of our society not Progress.

FYI @BadNewsBlues legal age of consent in the USA is 18. The article mentions at this point everyone was 18 or older.

Going back over the article, I see a charge of providing or attempting to provide alcohol under age.

Without more information anything else derived is just conjecture. If something illegal occurred then let the man serve his punishment via the courts.

Last edited by Stampeed Valkyrie on Thu May 23, 2019 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
But this accusation is boring. He asked legal-aged women out for drinks, they said no, and he moved on? That's called hooking up, and it's quite common at conventions. I don't see how that's inappropriate at all.
They weren't of legal drinking age. Setting aside the "illegal to provide alcohol to the underaged" issue, it's awfully predatory to invite young women who're probably less experienced with alcohol to drink at an isolated location. Especially when you're in a position of power over them, as this guy was. The article outlines plenty of other abuses of his authority, as well.

ranran-001 wrote:
Yeah and most organizers of conventions are not going to be a "celeb" like Vic. So what. If a convention draws a crowd of 5k every year, I would still think its worth reporting.
The numbers at AnimeCons indicate that they've been pulling around 12-13k for the past few years, so it's fairly significant in the grand scheme of things. Although maybe those numbers would make it more of a midsize con, relative to the high population density of the region.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Yikes, I love Animenext, it's probably my favorite con, but it sucks it took this long for action to be taken against a creeper. I'm still going next month, it's not the guest's and the lovely people who attend's fault, afterall. I'll have a great time.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Aresef wrote:

Honestly I can't say I agree. Since the start of the MeToo movement Due Process has been tossed out the window. I fear for the future of this country and society in general when you are guilty by default and judged by mob trial. This is resulting is regression of our society not Progress.

FYI @BadNewsBlues legal age of consent in the USA is 18. The article mentions at this point everyone was 18 or older.

Going back over the article, I see a charge of providing or attempting to provide alcohol under age.

Without more information anything else derived is just conjecture. If something illegal occurred then let the man serve his punishment via the courts.

Something doesn’t have to be illegal to be immoral. Something doesn’t have to be illegal to be distasteful, to be against policy. Many of the worst allegations leveled against Vic Mignogna are outside statutes of limitations. That means it’s up to us to decide, rightly, that he is no longer welcome at conventions, that he poses a danger to congoers and to his peers. And it was and remains up to the companies that did or will engage his services whether they will do so. And it’s up to us to hold those companies accountable on behalf of the voice actresses and others he hurt.

Had Funimation continued to do business with him, I would have voted with my dollars. Were conventions I frequent to invite him, I’d stop going to said conventions for good.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

Honestly I can't say I agree. Since the start of the MeToo movement Due Process has been tossed out the window.

Sexual harassment is not a crime punishable by jail time and prosecution some of the allegations that have cropped up fall under that, so due process hasn't been thrown out where those incidents are concerned. Secondly the law in the U.S. (and others) is such that due process is almost non existent when you have cases that are heavily weighted against individuals (especially poorer income and non white individuals) to the point most people are convicted of crimes they didn't commit.

Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

In most U.S. states (and because of some weird laws that was made decades ago), you have to be 21 or older to purchase or consume alcohol which was why I cited the part of the story I cited.
King Pickle the Wise

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
They weren't of legal drinking age. Setting aside the "illegal to provide alcohol to the underaged" issue, it's awfully predatory to invite young women who're probably less experienced with alcohol to drink at an isolated location. Especially when you're in a position of power over them, as this guy was. The article outlines plenty of other abuses of his authority, as well.

It's very common for underage people to drink or smoke, especially at conventions. So long as both adults are consenting, I say let them do what they want in their own privacy. Let's not act as if we didn't do similar things at conventions or never went to a college party before. It seems no one who actually accepted his offer is speaking out against him at this time, only the couple of people who said no.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:51 pm Reply with quote
So..

Let them do what they want as long as they don't get caught?

Yikes.

You know when things like this happen a lot of sponsors won't want anything to do with it, right? Or did anyone forget what happened with Anime Boston?

If you're advocating it, I really doubt it is something that you would do yourself.
King Pickle the Wise

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:29 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
So..

Let them do what they want as long as they don't get caught?

Yikes.

You know when things like this happen a lot of sponsors won't want anything to do with it, right? Or did anyone forget what happened with Anime Boston?

If you're advocating it, I really doubt it is something that you would do yourself.

Getting caught implies they're doing something wrong Razz I've "done it" myself if we're talking about asking a girl out and us having a few drinks despite only being around 20 at the time, but otherwise I'm not sure what you mean.

I've never heard anything about Anime Boston. Googling it shows CrunchyRoll sponsored it this year which seems like a big sponsorship deal. Is there something more than that?
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Something doesn’t have to be illegal to be immoral. Something doesn’t have to be illegal to be distasteful, to be against policy. Many of the worst allegations leveled against Vic Mignogna are outside statutes of limitations. That means it’s up to us to decide, rightly, that he is no longer welcome at conventions, that he poses a danger to congoers and to his peers. And it was and remains up to the companies that did or will engage his services whether they will do so. And it’s up to us to hold those companies accountable on behalf of the voice actresses and others he hurt.

Had Funimation continued to do business with him, I would have voted with my dollars. Were conventions I frequent to invite him, I’d stop going to said conventions for good.

Morality has been a tool used by people to crusade against certain practices or ideals for centuries. Depending on your political, social, and religious leanings, your idea of immoral is going to differ from the person next to you. On the topic of consumer vigilantism, Vic is currently scheduled for more conventions for the rest of 2019 than any of his accuser are. Apparently "we" decided the accusations were insubstantial, and he actually is welcome at conventions and not a danger to anyone.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:54 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
On the topic of consumer vigilantism, Vic is currently scheduled for more conventions for the rest of 2019 than any of his accuser are. Apparently "we" decided the accusations were insubstantial, and he actually is welcome at conventions and not a danger to anyone.

Depending on how one defines accuser and convention, here are the scheduled appearances announced for Vic Mignogna:

The Neutral Zone Fan Appreciation Weekend
Anime Matsuri
Savannah Mega Comic Con
Bubba Fest

Here are the scheduled appearances announced for Chris Sabat:

Phoenix Fan Fusion
Florida Supercon
GalaxyCon Raleigh (Raleigh Supercon)
Alias Entertainment Expo
GalaxyCon Minneapolis
GalaxyCon Louisville (Louisville Supercon)

Any conventions missing here?

[Edit: Removed Colossalcon from Mignogna's list, as ranran-001 noted.]

Last edited by Egan Loo on Fri May 24, 2019 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:02 am Reply with quote
Let's not talk out of the side of our mouths here. If the article was read to completion, the complaints, as described by the former HR head were not solely "inviting consenting adults to drink in his room" and acting like they were is disingenuous.

Quote:
He described the complaints as inappropriate speech, unwanted touching, inviting women under the age of 21 to drink in his room at night, or generally making women feel uncomfortable. The women involved were predominately Asian.

The allegations are making sexual comments to female staff members and touching them in a way that would not be appropriate in the workplace, as well as inviting them to drink in his room. There isn't any suggestion that he invited 19-year-olds to a con party, it was described as drinking solo. Some people may interpret that as friendly but it is by no means a stretch of the imagination for a woman to presume if you're inviting her to drink in your room alone after hours that it's a precursor to sex.

The allegations were, again according to the HR staff member who took the reports, close to a dozen. This isn't a guy who tried to make a move and was simply shot down and now is being dragged, if the HR person's statement is accurate.

This isn't the same as two 20 year olds drinking in a room together or that doing so makes you a red-alert level criminal. But if you're 18-20, your boss is in his 40s, he touches you in a suggestive manner, says something blatantly sexual to you, and tries to get you come up to his hotel room, that's breaking even the most lenient of workplace policies and no one would bat an eye if you reported it to HR. Which multiple women did in this case.

The result was the boss got a promotion. The same weekend the reports were taken by staff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3