• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2 Anime's Sub Delayed to Wednesdays Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:32 am Reply with quote
Sucks that they couldn't handle the leaks in a timely manner.

I think the leaks are a big deal but the show moving from Sunday to Wednesday seems ultimately minor. Some people will turn to rush jobs by speedsubbers or piracy but I think the overwhelming masses of online viewers will simply be like, "ah man, guess I watch it Wednesday now" rather than some mass revolt.
JMmelegrito

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:33 am Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
Wouldn't the better solution have been to delay the subs for the sublicensees that were leaking the episode early? I am sure that the videos are watermarked so Funimation knows exactly which companies were leaking the episodes. Of course it would only make a difference if Funimation had something in their licensing contracts about leaking episodes and it is possible they overlooked that possibility.

Sherris wrote:
Names, please! Which sublicensees?

Since Funimation wasn't willing to name them in the press release they probably aren't going to release that information.

It could be that the delay is on the JP end, not Funi, meaning it is out of their control.

Aniplus Asia, the broadcaster and licensor of Attack on Titan in Southeast Asia, has announced that the show will air on television every Mondays as scheduled.

Yey for us, I guess.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:53 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
On a general note, though, the cynic in me wonders if this is a ploy to undermine Funimation. Since the relationship between Funi and Crunchy Roll has gone from friendly to rivals due to corporate buyout, given this is something licensed under the old deal this could be used as a ploy for future negotiations.

AOT as a series was licensed well before the Funiroll deal happened. CR is a sublicensee of Funi for AOT
I wasn't meaning specifically for AOT, I was meaning when dealing with the licenenser/studio in the future. If leaks happen too many times it would look bad for Funi and hurt them when going for future titles.
hsbeta

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Wakanim will show it on the same date like before. It's just Funimation who f*cked up again.
nDroae

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Friki del Mal wrote:
Sherris wrote:

Selecta Visión in Spain and STARZ Play in the Middle East.

hsbeta wrote:
It's just Funimation who f*cked up again.

How? By sublicensing the show at all? Is that your reasoning?
pengin senshi
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Funimation gave an update saying they’re back to Sunday release, though at a later time:

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1132058747646500865?s=20
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
juusee wrote:
Will this affect the Animelab simulcasts? Madman gets some of their shows from Funimation but I don't know about this one.

I actually messaged them over on Facebook to see, but I've yet to hear back from them.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:43 am Reply with quote
Nuoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:37 am Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
Friki del Mal wrote:
Sherris wrote:

Selecta Visión in Spain and STARZ Play in the Middle East.

hsbeta wrote:
It's just Funimation who f*cked up again.

How? By sublicensing the show at all? Is that your reasoning?

It's very simple:

Sublicensing to reputable companies who won't leak the product... good idea.
Sublicensing to non-reputable companies who will leak the product... bad idea.

You say it like Funi has no say in who they sub license continue to. They should pick better partners. Funi probably isn't the only company that competed for AoT. I'm sure at some point they gave the people in charge the impression that their competencies and ability to leverage their partners is one of the many reasons they should go with Funi rather than someone else. Now those amazing partners turn out to either be scumbag leakers or "technical" people without the competency to effectively store a file on a server circa 2019.

Unless the right to sublicense AoT was forced on Funi against their will and they were mandated to license or be punished, that's all under Funi's purview imo. At some point you gotta take more into account than who will shove the most dollars into your pockets. If they'll pay you well but then leak the product and get you in trouble with people you report to, maybe make a note of that and remember it the next time you're looking for reliable partners in that area (because they're not someone to consider).
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
lol what a stupid decision... I don't care, I have a schedule Sunday night is, Bungou, Kono Oto, Shingeki, Bokutachi Benkyou and Kimetsu no Yaiba
nDroae

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:29 pm Reply with quote
company#2969

Founded 1984. Counting multiple entries in series, over 300 anime titles licensed.

What are your criteria for "reputable"? How do you know that there were signs of danger before this? What are safer options in Spain and the Middle East?

What I most want to know is, how is is that both companies messed up on the same episodes? And what exactly did they do, mistakenly put the episodes up on their streaming platforms too early? Because a lot of commenters seem to be under the impression that some intern took a copy home and uploaded it.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:27 am Reply with quote
Guys check the more recent article. It's now only a few hours later.
nDroae

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I read pengin senshi's post above.

I still haven't watched last week's episode. I'm interested in this as a curiosity rather than as a frustration.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3