• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yamakan Shares His Reasoning for Leaving the Anime Industry

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:12 am Reply with quote
Potti wrote:
I respect his decision to leave the anime industry. Will definitely be a hard loss if he really leaves this time. The industry needs more hard-asses like him.

So the industry needs more racist sexist, victim blaming not-so-nice-people then?

Not sure i follow.
icelava

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:30 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Someone enlighten me.
What exactly is wrong with modern anime and in it's industry according to Yamakan? What are his criticisms after all?
And what exactly he did to save anime and change the industry?

My thoughts exactly reading the article. There's no expansion and clarification just exactly what he's dissatisfied with the current industry.

I have my own beefs with the industry, but I highly doubt my discontent align with this chap.
Actar

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:23 pm Reply with quote
This is someone who's never actually read a word of Nietzsche but thinks the title sounds cool.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm torn about this, on one side I really enjoyed his work and I think he has the skill to make decent enjoyable anime, but on the other side he seems like a person that's really troublesome to work with, someone that is really childish and can't control his emotions. He gets easily offended by small social things and I can only guess how much he messes up the teamwork with his personality while producing anime.
I just hope he will find something else, where he can piecefully work on his own stuff without having to deal with other people too much.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Someone enlighten me.
What exactly is wrong with modern anime and in it's industry according to Yamakan? What are his criticisms after all?
And what exactly he did to save anime and change the industry?

All I've managed to glean from his drama over the years is that he hates moe culture, but only wants to make moe anime.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I hope he truly finds something to love. I don't think he hates modern anime but that he hasn't had a huge success in anime. He's just angry at the world that things didn't go the way as planned.

I did enjoy Kannagi dearly. It's something that holds special in my heart. Just.... hope the best for him no matter what.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Seeing how obnoxious this guy is reminded me of a personal life experience that happened a month ago. Just leave already and never come back.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Guy's an asshole but I do hope he finally quits for real and finds something else to do with his life. Making anime seems to only be making himself and everyone around him miserable, and some of his antics and comments towards his detractors haven't just been insulting, but were genuinely disturbing. He needs to get out, for good, and find something, almost anything else, to do with his life.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:59 am Reply with quote
Over time, when stuff about what Yamakan says about anime, it has painted him in a negative light for me. Yamakan and anime are like a destructive couple...they love each other, but bring out the worst in each other, so should part ways and find love elsewhere.
partially

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
The only thing that I find strange from this is how he is still employed? It is fine to have reservations about something and discuss them in an intelligent manner, e.g. a "state of the industry" sort of thing. A civil discussion. By all appearances though, this man(?) just bitches publicly and blames everybody but himself. And apparently a private company deleting his account because of continuous harassment of their staff is backstabbing and censoring, go figure. There are auteurs and artists whose poor behaviour becomes permissible because of ability. (Which shouldn't happen anyway!) Yet this person has shown no such extraordinary ability (except in his own head). He is a competent director, but that is all. Who keeps giving this person money?!?

I would be interested in a translation of that talk show though, anyone know of one? I only flicked through but he does appear civil there, and it would be interesting to discover if there is any depth to the man and his complaints.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
The only thing that I find strange from this is how he is still employed?

He is Ordet's founder, he was his own boss.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:29 am Reply with quote
Ok, now I get it. He wants to go out in style, like doing an awesome project and then retiring after.
But since he only makes mediocre anime he always goes back on his word xD
Probably doesn't want to retire like a failure. So if Hakubo is a success he retires, if it bombs he goes back on his word again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2