• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Wrestler Kenny Omega Makes Entrance in Sword Art Online Kirito's Outfit

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pedram

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Cosplaying as one of anime's worst character to offer? Godly taste.

You mean cosplaying as one of the most liked characters in japan, right ?

For example :
Kirito's ranking in one of most popular light novel yearly popularity ranking in japan.
2010 - Ranked 3rd.
2011 - Ranked 1st.
2012 - Ranked 1st.
2013 - Ranked 3rd.
2014 - Ranked 3rd.
2015 - Ranked 2nd.
2016 - Ranked 2nd.
2017 - Ranked 1st.
2018 - Ranked 3rd.
Source : here

Yeh, Kirito is VERY popular, and Omega is a SAO Fan ( his tweets from years ago also show it ) so for an entrance cosplay using a very popular character that you also like is a pretty solid move.
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Pedram wrote:
Afezeria wrote:

For example :
Kirito's ranking in one of most popular light novel yearly popularity ranking in japan.
2010 - Ranked 3rd.
2011 - Ranked 1st.
2012 - Ranked 1st.
2013 - Ranked 3rd.
2014 - Ranked 3rd.
2015 - Ranked 2nd.
2016 - Ranked 2nd.
2017 - Ranked 1st.
2018 - Ranked 3rd.

Yeh, Kirito is VERY popular, and Omega is a SAO Fan ( his tweets from years ago also show it ) so for an entrance cosplay using a very popular character that you also like is a pretty solid move.

Just because he's popular doesn't mean he's not bottom of the barrel when it comes to a character. That is by nature the problem with self insert power fantasy main characters. They have no real character so that they can appeal to the masses.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I hope everyone will forgive me for asking this but there was this Omega guy's tweet in Japanese in the article and since I and more than a few others can't read Japanese,I wonder what it said. I just would like to know that's all. I looked up Kenny Omega some time ago. It seems that he's originally from Canada but had gotten Japanese citizenship. And, I'll say this. It's not easy to get Japanese citizenship by any means.

I'd also like to respond to SquadmemberRitsu. I also did some checking on Hulk Hogan being a racist. I'm not really sure but what happened was that he was suing a website called "Gawker" for invasion of privacy. Long story short,"Gawker" decided to play dirty and release tapes of Hogan in a private conservation in which he used racial epithets. While I don't condone the epithets,this only occurred during a lawsuit against a website that was known as the internet's version of the tabloids you see in the supermarket. And,they're not exactly good sources of information.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Wed May 29, 2019 7:51 pm; edited 4 times in total
Pedram

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:26 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Pedram wrote:
Afezeria wrote:

For example :
2010 - Ranked 3rd.
2011 - Ranked 1st.
2012 - Ranked 1st.
2013 - Ranked 3rd.
2014 - Ranked 3rd.
2015 - Ranked 2nd.
2016 - Ranked 2nd.
2017 - Ranked 1st.
2018 - Ranked 3rd.

Just because he's popular doesn't mean he's not bottom of the barrel when it comes to a character. That is by nature the problem with self insert power fantasy main characters. They have no real character so that they can appeal to the masses.

if anyone ever think Kirito is the worse character anime has to offer, he obviously didn't see much anime lol

Plus Kirito isn't that bland or self insert, specially so in the novels.
plus he goes through so much shit compare to other MCs lol spoiler[lost of friends and best friend huge guilt almost to the point of suicide and traumas.]

I would rather self insert as Rimuru from Slime or even became a Skeleton like Ainz than go and become Kirito lol
Even Naofumi or Subaru (at least until where i read, I'm not up 2 date) might get a lot of pain and shit but spoiler[never had any irrecoverable lost or dead friends yet. they just had it rough.] specially Subaru with his cursed ability lol
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:50 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:

And yet Red from Pokemon is massively popular in the fanbase in spite of that same problem.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:28 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
TexZero wrote:

And yet Red from Pokemon is massively popular in the fanbase in spite of that same problem.

Ironically, both Red and Kirito were voice by the same guy at one point.
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:31 am Reply with quote
Pedram wrote:
TexZero wrote:

if anyone ever think Kirito is the worse character anime has to offer, he obviously didn't see much anime lol

I've seen enough to put him at the bottom and considering i've been doing this watching anime thing for roughly 20 years and watching things that were around that are "before my time" i can safely say he is one of the worst written characters.

If you can't see that or see that it's by design then that's on you. Sorry if that for some reason upsets you but he has virtually no developement in the anime outside of look at the generic asspulls i do to get the harem.
Pedram

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:47 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Pedram wrote:
TexZero wrote:

I've seen enough to put him at the bottom and considering i've been doing this watching anime thing for roughly 20 years and watching things that were around that are "before my time" i can safely say he is one of the worst written characters.

If you can't see that or see that it's by design then that's on you. Sorry if that for some reason upsets you but he has virtually no developement in the anime outside of look at the generic asspulls i do to get the harem.

He have a lot of development in season 1. he grow and change as a character so much.
He don't have much development in season 2 other than a bit getting over his own truama along with Sinon. the rest of season 2 is for Asuna's character.

He again have a lot of development in season 3 alicization and finally get over one of his biggest trauma since Aincrad days.

I agree that the anime is shit for showing his character and never include inner monologue, but there is still a lot of change and growth for him in the anime as well which is noticeable.

also, it's very easy to try to downplay someone's character and his development and grows in a story.
but if you name several other popular show's MC and try to give their good point... you will see kirito have many of them as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2