• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Strange Anime Cuisines: The 2nd Dish

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Kiviak and Hongeohoe were funny situations in Moyashimon, but they were nothing compared to the king of stink: Surströmming!!!
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:28 am Reply with quote
Not sure what Mio's sister's problem is, but I would not have anything to do with such a jerk sibling...
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:39 am Reply with quote
A few inaccuracies in the citatap section. First, the screenshot doesn't show citatap, but just the squirrel's brain (which is also eaten, but wasn't part of the citatap in that particular scene). Second, it's "Asirpa", not "Aspira". And third, the citatap in the scene it was introduced in was made from a squirrel, but later episodes reveal that it doesn't necessarily have to be squirrel, in fact in season 2 it's stated that the default version of the dish is made of salmon (which is only available during the spawning season).
K.o.R

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:16 am Reply with quote
The first one actually sounds pretty normal; I'm sure my local Chinese place would make squid in satay sauce if I asked them nicely. I wouldn't, because I don't like squid, but hey Razz
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Kiviak and Hongeohoe were funny situations in Moyashimon, but they were nothing compared to the king of stink: Surströmming!!!

Funny you should mention that, because earlier today, I watched the second and, more importantly, the third episode of Strike Witches: 501st JOINT FIGHTER WING Take Off!, where spoiler[the girls, in a bid of discouraging Mina to cook for them during the absence of all the good cooks in the unit, break out a can of what they consider to be the stinkiest food product known to man.]
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
The first one actually sounds pretty normal; I'm sure my local Chinese place would make squid in satay sauce if I asked them nicely. I wouldn't, because I don't like squid, but hey Razz

Personally, I would (and have) devoured it - squid is my favourite seafood. Though normally I'll go for satay beef by preference.

I don't get why people are so squeamish about offal. Sure - I don't personally like some offal like brain or tripe, but that's due to the texture and flavour, rather than the origin. But then again, I did grow up on a hobby farm where we killed and butchered sheep, cattle and chickens for the freezer ...

I'm actually a really selective eater - there's a lot of flavours I don't like that the rest of my family does. For example, I've never liked having butter or margarine on bread; I'm averse to a wide variety of herbs and spices; I hate any kind of dressing on salads; I can't stand olive oil (actually olives, but they're easier to avoid than olive oil); and I have almost never added extra salt to my meals unless completely bland (my maximum salt tolerance is similar to others, but I prefer less salt). And then we get into the produce that I find distasteful ...
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:24 pm Reply with quote
If I had to pick one to eat, it'd be the peanut butter calamari.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Having been through a variety of harsh-element-survival training courses: Eating Unusual Things is something I long-ago crossed off my "to-do" list....

And none of the stuff listed in the article holds a candle to the infamous _Iron Chef_ episode featuring "Codfish Soft Roe Ice Cream" -- to borrow a meme, "OH IRON CHEF NO".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1