• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can the episode review talkback threads get their own subforum?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:46 am Reply with quote
The Series Discussion subforum is pretty dead these days, with any actual discussion primarily in the episode review threads. Right now these threads are buried in the news talkback threads making them more difficult to find. Separating them would make things more convenient.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:45 pm Reply with quote
My suggestion is that we simply have "episode review" threads redirect into their respective "series discussion" threads. That way, each show can have a single thread that serves as episode review talkback while the show is still airing, and then becomes a place for series discussion after the show ends.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
My suggestion is that we simply have "episode review" threads redirect into their respective "series discussion" threads. That way, each show can have a single thread that serves as episode review talkback while the show is still airing, and then becomes a place for series discussion after the show ends.

Honestly that would be my vote as well. I've been places with sub-forums and after time they often get forgotten about. That is doubtful to happen here with episode reviews, but at the very least a sub-forum I think is adding extra steps. Having 2 threads for honestly the same thing is getting a bit pointless as well. Especially when most of the discussion is coming in the episode review threads. I think 1 section period for Anime Series discussion would suffice. The episode review threads can simply be the "official" thread for that show from here on out. Obviously we would want to keep the "Series Discussion" threads for those without episode reviews, past, present, or future. From my small experience on the technical sides of forums I would think it would be easier to use the existing Series Discussion area (as opposed to making a new one and merging/moving that many discussions) and just have episode review threads re-direct there.

Straight up BR, or other physical media, reviews would certainly stay in the Talkback section.

Just my 2 cents.

From a moderator stand point it also gets frustrating at times remembering which discussion thread, be it Talkback/episode review or series discussion, is having trouble. Or which thread particular users are acting up in. Having simply one official series thread would negate that issue.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Yes I agree that something like this would be a good idea. I definitely lament the effective death of the series discussion forum, which came about after the episode reviews were introduced, and would like to find some way to resurrect that general kind of thing, particularly to increase discussion of shows that have finished airing. Also, on other forums, when searching for information about some topic, I often find value in going back and reading old discussions, so I think it would be good if they were coherent and/or in one place on here.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Guess I should PM Dan to take a look here and see if it's even feasible or not.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:09 am Reply with quote
When the subforum was first created, and the weekly reviews started, I brought up this same thing. While splitting the discussion is bad, here's the problem with combining both into one: Where is the gap between discussing the review and discussing the show?

I, personally, don't read the episode reviews. Therefore, I don't go into the episode review threads. Those times that I have, because there's no discussion in the subforum, I've been completely lost, because the thread is all people discussing the review. Yet there's no other discussion going on.

If the review thread links were to be forwarded to the series discussion threads, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would feel pressured into reading the reviews or being left behind.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:29 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
When the subforum was first created, and the weekly reviews started, I brought up this same thing. While splitting the discussion is bad, here's the problem with combining both into one: Where is the gap between discussing the review and discussing the show?

I, personally, don't read the episode reviews. Therefore, I don't go into the episode review threads. Those times that I have, because there's no discussion in the subforum, I've been completely lost, because the thread is all people discussing the review. Yet there's no other discussion going on.

If the review thread links were to be forwarded to the series discussion threads, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would feel pressured into reading the reviews or being left behind.

I wonder whether you would consider a significant increase in discussion (say, 3 pages of discussion versus 15 pages of discussion) to be worth the price of, say, 50% of the posts in every series discussion thread containing references to episode reviews that some participants have no interest in reading? I feel as though that's where I am now concerning the dilemma you bring up.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

At the time, I agreed with this very strongly, and still do on a fundamental level. However, practically it turned out that in this new situation people did not end up discussing the show very much when compared to the review, and possibly combining it may be the only way to get that back, since I feel like the division itself is what killed it. I'm not sure if it will work, but I think it might be worth a try.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:16 am Reply with quote
This is definitely something worth considering.

On the plus side, it might revive the series discussion forum a bit. The episode review discussions are about 50% episode discussion and 50% review discussion. So the fact that there is that 50% episode discussion makes the series discussion forum a reasonable place to house the threads.

On the other hand,it would serve to push down recent series discussion thread that aren't super active. For example the discussion about Case Closed, which is still on the first page, but hasn't been discussed in over a month, would likely get pushed down to the 2nd or 3rd page.

I don't think we should merge the actual threads though. The nature of the episode review threads is very different from some of the series discussion threads. Merging would also have to be done manually, it wouldn't be possible to do it automatically.

The more I think about this, the more I think it's a good idea.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:34 am Reply with quote
When Rebecca was still writing reviews for GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018), that thread was relatively lively while the official series discussion thread was not. The review thread continues on, while the series discussion thread has largely become postings by a single member. I worried about what would happen when the reviews ended. Luckily we've managed to keep the review thread alive, but I wonder how long that will persist. Kitarou has another 40+ episodes to go this season.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3081089&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=195

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5121919#5121919
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:35 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
This is definitely something worth considering.

On the plus side, it might revive the series discussion forum a bit. The episode review discussions are about 50% episode discussion and 50% review discussion. So the fact that there is that 50% episode discussion makes the series discussion forum a reasonable place to house the threads.

On the other hand,it would serve to push down recent series discussion thread that aren't super active. For example the discussion about Case Closed, which is still on the first page, but hasn't been discussed in over a month, would likely get pushed down to the 2nd or 3rd page.

I don't think we should merge the actual threads though. The nature of the episode review threads is very different from some of the series discussion threads. Merging would also have to be done manually, it wouldn't be possible to do it automatically.

The more I think about this, the more I think it's a good idea.

When discussing the review it's still related to the show (the reviewer misinterpreting a plot point and such) and the comment being addressed is usually quoted. Nothing stopping some one who hasn't read the review from chiming in on it

As for pushing other threads, that's what the stickied index threads are for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1