• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Demon Slayer Delivers Shonen Action with Seinen Gore

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Violet Park

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episodes and I ended reading a good chunk of the manga, it's just so good. So far the adaptation has been great, especially in the artistic side. I know people have complained about pacing and the lack of a main cast aside of the siblings, but I think both are fine. Still looking forward to Zenitsu and Inosuke (a.k.a Pikachu and Piggy).

My only complain is how Nezuko has been handled so far. The combo of feral/childlike behaviour + muteness + constant sleep + lack of POV has kept her kind of flat and it's a pity. She had Muzan Jackson show up, kill her entire family in front of her and turn her into a monster, her perspective would add a lot to the story. At least she is cute and a total badass.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I never realized it had "seinen gore". It's more gorey than Boruto but it never struck me like the creative team were going for some Gantz-esque the gore is a major part of the appeal of this type of show. It feels like Naruto/Bleach/Big Shonen levels of gore on average. I could be missing it though.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't know that it's that much more intense than DBZ was back in the day before even the Japanese version of Kai toned down the violence but I'm enjoying Demon Slayer a lot. It's definitely one of my top favorites of the season. The animation is always so gorgeous and the plot has more meat to it than I thought at first.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying the pace of the show. It certainly gets down to business. I hope it keeps that up. And of course the production is excellent, as expected of ufotable. And I'm loving the good balance between beauty, cartoony, gore and horror. Strikes just the right balance in every aspect from production to story.

Quote:
I will say on that note that my major disappointment so far is Nezuko's lack of proactivity. Having her nap for two straight years so Tanjiro could do things was a pretty shitty narrative choice.

It was like around 3 episodes? It's not like this went on for 2 seasons or something. What was she supposed to do? She's plenty active now that they're on the road. Tanjiro is ultimately responsible for her to the point that he must kill her if she becomes a danger. Nobody else would take the risk letting her run around. Tanjiro can't be considered capable of that unless he becomes adept at demon-slaying.

Violet Park wrote:
My only complain is how Nezuko has been handled so far. The combo of feral/childlike behaviour + muteness + constant sleep + lack of POV has kept her kind of flat and it's a pity. She had Muzan Jackson show up, kill her entire family in front of her and turn her into a monster, her perspective would add a lot to the story. At least she is cute and a total badass.

Kinda hard given she's a half-demon zombie of sorts. Otherwise she'd just be an outright demon or just a regular human, but with super strength, which is less interesting. But she's plenty expressive enough, and this limitation actually makes the interactions more fun. I believe once she's been 'cured' or if somehow she develops more consciousness in this state, that we'll get more development. It is perhaps that her consciousness is fighting the demon within her, and that results in a safe-mode state that runs like what we observe her as now; but within, the revelation will likely end up being that she'd been fighting internally all along.

She is also probably super powerful and would become more so if/when she regains her full cognitive capacity. So the state she is in is likely a handicap until the story progresses, and then the limiter will come off and there'll be a lot of ass kicking!
Sobe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Some of the episodes are inconsistent. First the MC is supposed to react within a split second and then other times he's sitting there like an idiot at the dumbest of times. The first few episodes were great and lead up to actual character progress at the test and then regressed to watching paint dry when he met the final boss and when the two minions attacked.

Shocked Can we seriously get some actual consistency, please?
Eddy564

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
Some of the episodes are inconsistent. First the MC is supposed to react within a split second and then other times he's sitting there like an idiot at the dumbest of times. The first few episodes were great and lead up to actual character progress at the test and then regressed to watching paint dry when he met the final boss and when the two minions attacked.

I wouldn’t say the entire show needs consistency simply because the protagonist acts like a typical shonen protagonist. I mean, visually at least, it’s one of the most consistent shows of the entire season. And the characters have a lot more meat to them than I originally thought. If you want consistency, I suggest being patient because introductory arcs are usually riddled with shoddy story telling since there’s so much exposition and info dumping. As of now, the world building is still very premature and opening up slowly but surely.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:

Which parts? It would make sense if he is caught of guard or startled by what he's seeing.

Some other scenes are just likely showing his thought process, wherein we might assume time is 'slowed down' for the viewer's benefit.
Hatsu95

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Seinen gore ? Are we watching the same show ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1