• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: RADWIMPS Band's Yojiro Noda Causes Online Stir with Anti-JSDF Tweet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:10 am Reply with quote
It's a fair point, and that language in the constitution and how it's interpreted is a hot topic in Japanese politics. It's reasonable for him to wonder why Japan is spending all this money on fighter jets for a force that can't wage war. Japan subsidizes the American presence there, and while the nations have a mutual interest in counteracting the influence of China*, it's fair to suggest that Japan doesn't also need to hand Lockheed a pile of cash.

*America furthermore has an interest under the Taiwan Relations Act in defending Taiwan, particularly following provocative statements by Xi.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Japan renouncing war since forever? Japan is infamous for some horrendous war crimes and imperialistic efforts; The Sino-Japanese War, The Rape of Nanking, Unit 731, etc. I get where Yojiro is coming from. He sees the illusion that the Japanese government sets up.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I am sorry.....but what

"China has been aggressive claiming territory against literally every single nation it borders", excuse me, what about Russia, Kyrgyzstan, North Korea, Laos, Myanmar.......etc.

When it's not claiming the entire Sinosphere, it claims Outer Manchuria in Russia because its rule from the Qing Dynasty, and the Korean peninsula from its rule during the Yuan Dynasty. Conversely, South Korea looking beyond Korean unification, has claimed Jiandao/Gando, and even Manchuria in it's entirety (although that's unrealistic). For all intents and purposes, North Korea is a Chinese puppet state, and Mongolia is a buffer state between Russia to minimize conflict since the Sino-Soviet Split.

Quote:
Also please free to verify yourself, even before Xi(who I have very bad impression of), China has NEVER recognizes Taiwan's sovereignty(and USA stop recognizing Taiwan's sovereignty as an independent state after 1979), even in 1950s , when it was a weakling country that literally all of its surrounding neighbors try to take its advantage, funny how time change huh.

Of course not, but China didn't constantly threaten Taiwan at the level it has over the past several years, or deploy ships to waters it no jurisdiction over by maritime law.

Quote:
If that is how you view most Chinese would do to Japan, then as a American (just turn to citizen years ago) who has Chinese and Japanese blood, this truly saddens me.

Which era are we in.....in this global era where one major economic power's fall could spell the doom for entire world, who in the right mind would start a war for that stupid and childish reason. Yes, it would be a sin for China to formally forgetting its disgraceful and sorrowful memories in WW2, but it does not mean the whole country is stupid enough to launch a payback especially in this modern age.

Given how closely the two countries associate themselves culturally and economically now days, I am so glad most Chinese aren't that stupid and close-minded to do something like that.

From someone who has seen what American soldiers did in Okinawa firsthand when I was briefly living in Japan (you are free to do some research), I can tell you America and Japan's relationship is never an equal ally. Are we protecting Japan in the name of freedom or use them as containment and safe measure against Russia (now China), I think you have some idea.

One last thing, what western media depicts is NOT what China is all about, and Chinese media is also guilty of exaggeration on its depiction of real American society. I am lucky to have both to know which of their source is free of stereotyping and generalization, and what are they trying to hide.

Okinawa is another ballgame of controversy in U.S.-Japan relations. Japan wants American protection, but the Ryukyuans (native Okinawans), many of whom don't view themselves as Japanese the same way the Northern Irish, have been against it. Okinawa wasn't returned to Japan until the 1970s, and even then it was controversial over Japan's actions during the Battle of Okinawa, as well as rule and Japanization policy as a vassal state and ultimately annexation under the Empire of Japan.[/quote]
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:21 am Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:
Japan renouncing war since forever? Japan is infamous for some horrendous war crimes and imperialistic efforts; The Sino-Japanese War, The Rape of Nanking, Unit 731, etc. I get where Yojiro is coming from. He sees the illusion that the Japanese government sets up.

While Japan could more clearly apologize for wartime atrocities, Japan’s postwar constitution says the nation will “forever renounce war” and will never maintain land, sea or air forces. The entire article seems to leave little wiggle room for JSDF to buy jets.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:53 am Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Some day the Japanese are going to have to take care of themselves on their own.

Don't know how that would work given Japan presently doesn't have an economy to support a capable military that could potentially stand against China.

Heishi wrote:
Is it wrong to say that maybe that money could have gone to social services for Japanese instead of military?

Considering it's a problem that even the U.S. made all the more ironic be how terrible injured, traumatized, or healthy veterans are treated by the VA no.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:51 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
While Japan could more clearly apologize for wartime atrocities, Japan’s postwar constitution says the nation will “forever renounce war” and will never maintain land, sea or air forces. The entire article seems to leave little wiggle room for JSDF to buy jets.

No offense, but cherry picking three words out of seventy seven is not a good way to makes one's point. (And rarely are such documents meant to be interpreted in literal or simple minded ways.) Not to mention the political history is... complex.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2