• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maria-sama ga Miteru 4th Season Confirmed for TV

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone else excited about this? I know I am. Very Happy
Kyjin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Anime smile I can't wait for this! Also,I find it amusing that two of my favorite shows are sponsored by Pizza Hut! (The other being Code Geass.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm not so excited about this. When Yumi and Sachiko will kiss each other? I started to watch this anime 4 years ago and I don't know what Yumi feels for Sachiko. I'll be excited when the plot has an important twist, I don't want to watch filler, I want to watch a real change.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
The 13-episode second season of Maria-sama ga Miteru, Maria-sama ga Miteru ~Haru~, which originally aired on TV Tokyo in the Kantou region of Japan (Tokyo, Yokohama, Kawasaki, Saitama, Chiba, etc.), Sunday mornings, July 4, 2004 - September 26, 2004, 7:30 AM - 8:00 AM, was a total ratings disaster. It barely averaged one percent, if that. Mainstream audiences (e.g., children) avoided Yumi & Co. like they were the plague.

This may help explain why the third season of Maria-sama ga Miteru was available in Japan on home video only and not on television.

But the Maria-sama ga Miteru series has been an above average seller on DVD in Japan. Targeting its niche audiences on late night TV, UHF TV, satellite TV, etc., in Japan may be the way to go for the television broadcasting of the fourth season of Maria-sama ga Miteru.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
This news article is relevant to my interests. Anime hyper

Still, I have mixed feelings about the fourth season being a TV series. The bright side being that we won't have to wait a month per episode; the not-so-bright side being that the overall animation quality may edge closer to the average side. Okay, okay, admittedly, the OVA episode 4 (Lady/Ready Go!) had atrocious animation compared to the rest of that season (especially episode 1).

On the second seasons ratings fiasco: well, there is that. As I recall, the first season WAS given a late-night timeslot, and it did well enough to get an early morning timeslot. It seems that moving it earlier ended up as a mistake. Still, I never really liked the latter half of that season, spoiler[since everyone had a severely crippling case of can not spit it out, leading to a massive, easily-avoided misunderstanding]. Bleh. I loved Drill-chan, though.

I declare that the fourth season needs the following to be awesome: more Tsutako, more newspaper club action, more Drill-chan, and more Sei. A lot more Sei. And remember: Pizza Hut supports lesbian schoolgirls. Laughing
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
My year has been made. I didn't think I could fall in love with a show so early in my anime fandom and still love it as much as a body of work more than just nostalgia. The OVA was far and wide my favorite. I expect season 4 to be even more up my alley.

kizzmequik_74 wrote:
Still, I have mixed feelings about the fourth season being a TV series. The bright side being that we won't have to wait a month per episode; the not-so-bright side being that the overall animation quality may edge closer to the average side. Okay, okay, admittedly, the OVA episode 4 (Lady/Ready Go!) had atrocious animation compared to the rest of that season (especially episode 1).

To be honest, I never felt the animation in the TV series was that bad. There's not a lot in Marimite that requires fluid animation, and poor animation is overlookable (definitely not a word...) so long as the artwork remains consistent throughout.
Crawly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:41 am Reply with quote
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
I'm not so excited about this. When Yumi and Sachiko will kiss each other? I started to watch this anime 4 years ago and I don't know what Yumi feels for Sachiko. I'll be excited when the plot has an important twist, I don't want to watch filler, I want to watch a real change.

Are you familiar at all with the manga and novels? It may have been 4 years, but in that time we've only gotten 32 episodes. There's a lot more material to cover, and since it seems like you think a lot of what you've seen so far is filler that's exactly what you're going to continue to get. Personally, I see it as character and story development for a slow paced, relaxed, completely character driven series. Besides, there are some "important twists" in this I'm not looking forward to...

BTW, having not gotten even close to the end of the available reading for this series, do Yumi and Sachiko ever kiss? I've honestly never thought that would happen in the series. Just seems too blatant for these guys.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:

BTW, having not gotten even close to the end of the available reading for this series, do Yumi and Sachiko ever kiss? I've honestly never thought that would happen in the series. Just seems too blatant for these guys.

I don't think there will be anything explicit like that in MariMite. I know there hasn't been any of it in the novels, and the anime so far has only covered about half of them, I believe. So even if someday the author did have Yumi and Sachiko kiss, it will be a long time (if ever) that we ever saw it. MariMite likes to stick with the ambiguous "It's there if you want it to be and are looking for it" variety of yuri. Well, other than Sei.
GreatTeacherKen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
^^ yes, that ambiguity is the reason why I always questioned the shoujo-ai label the show often gets. The relationships are so subdued that it feels more like really close platonic friendships rather than actual romance.
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
This made my day! People were saying a few months back that it will most likely become an OVA because the ratings were horrible for the previous season that aired on TV.

I can't wait for this.
mimirudesu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:14 am Reply with quote
jetz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
OMG! I knew about this for some time now, but I forgot all about it. Laughing I can't wait!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1