• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Director Goro Taniguchi on TV Anime Trends: 'I Wouldn't Be Allowed to Make Something Like

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Finding Never Land, Abyss, all those shows like Mahou Shoujo etc, anything from Gen Urobochi, Goblin Slayer, etc. As far as depressing and or tragedy works, there are a lot more of these now, then there ever were.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Funny, yet Sunrise approved Gundam the Origin despite its overthetop dark scenario and some scenes involving violence
DurangaVoe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:57 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Finding Never Land, Abyss, all those shows like Mahou Shoujo etc, anything from Gen Urobochi, Goblin Slayer, etc. As far as depressing and or tragedy works, there are a lot more of these now, then there ever were.

Code Geass is, unlike most of the shows you mentioned, an original anime. Adaptations are way safer to adapt even when they're dark and depressing as they already have big enough audience.
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to call an industry professional ignorant about the industry, but surely anyone could make the case that there's a demand for "depressing" elements given all the series getting greenlit, adaptions or otherwise.

This would've been true during 2008-2016 when everything was "safe" slice-of-life to tank through the recession, but in the years since there has been a marked uptick in this kind of content.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:07 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
He must mean that he, Goro Taniguchi, is not allowed to do anything like Code Geass again.
Changeman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:21 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
He must mean that he, Goro Taniguchi, is not allowed to do anything like Code Geass again.

I think this phrase refers to the development of original anime, since it is not known if they may or may not be a hit, not because of something like censorship. Since we currently have hits like Attack of the Titans or Kimetsu no Yaba that has quite depressive development.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

I think it more about original anime that doesn't have a Manga or Light Novel. Most original anime nowadays are a slice of life
Changeman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

I think it more about original anime that doesn't have a Manga or Light Novel. Most original anime nowadays are a slice of life

Fact, it's pretty hard to know if something original is going to be a success or not, and fun things are more likely to happen than depressing things, see the example of Marvel Studios.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"I get told, 'Don't put depressing elements in.' The production committee is separated from the fans, and they don't know what will or won't be a hit."

I think this depends on creators and their ability to avoid those restrictions. Just look at Sarazanmai which has A LOT MORE bold decisions in story (the whole Toi story for example).
Wtv

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:35 pm Reply with quote
DurangaVoe wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

Code Geass is, unlike most of the shows you mentioned, an original anime. Adaptations are way safer to adapt even when they're dark and depressing as they already have big enough audience.

Princess Principal, that has another Code Geass writer, is pretty depressing and it was a success. Considering the same writer, Kabaneri is depressing either.
Haven't watched Franxx, but I know there's a lot of deaths. Including the two main. I doubt their deaths were happy.
SoraYori has a pretty depressing story or at least depressing themes as did Violet Evergarden.
And let's not forget the Ikuhara show this same season.

I guess the problem here is how vague he is. What did he mean by depressing themes? Maybe he just wants to kill all the characters for shock value and everyone know how this doesn't make good writing? Who knows. I know depressing themes in original anime are still being done.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:38 pm Reply with quote
While that's disheartening news, and seems like a step backwards. I enjoy the serious stuff more than the slice of fluff shows. In fact 3 of Goro Taniguchi's so called "depressing" works are some of my top rated titles.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind depressing stuff.
Casshern Sins being my favorite.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Still love Psycho Pass even though the subject matter can be depressing. Would love to see more original depressing works.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to wonder if Netflix would still let something like Code Geass get made today? I can't imagine Stranger Things getting made any other way (and the creators tried literally everywhere else), and some of their other cartoons have had depressing elements and been long running. And yeah, Devilman Crybaby was an adaptation as well, but I still can't imagine anyone else letting something with that much violence, gore, sex, and depressing elements air on a regular channel either. It seems like Netflix could be the saving grace for shows like Code Geass in the future.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Just from reading the title, I was hoping Taniguchi would talk about Code Geass' haphazard narrative structure... "Let's end season one on a cliffhanger?' "How will we get out of it?" "I don't know. So, literally, the cast will not know.".... as something that wouldn't be allowed but the depressing elements?

Code Geass wasn't depressing, at least not in the way he thought it was. Season 2 depressed me in the "oh no, this person is turning against Zero because reasons, because plot and because we have to fill 26 episodes with about five that have things happen" way it was. I thought the character deaths were hilarious especially the one where the dying person thought Lelouch was supposed to care and Lelouch... was Lelouch?

It probably wasn't a good idea to combine a slice of life high school series with a "serious" revolution against a foreign power plot. Geuss which characters died! If you said "the revolutionaries" you'd be on the side of history, but not on the side of Code Geass.

He thinks he made a classic show. Good for him. He had the makings of a classic show but he failed... well, he just failed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3