• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animalia555

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Was it just me or did the whole thing with the Red-Eyed Geese resemble the whole debacle with the Uchiha clan only with a happier ending?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:43 am Reply with quote
unfortunately this arc wont mean the ebd of the fillers!

it will be a while before the ball gets rolling on that babysitting arc and the kawaki arc!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:17 pm Reply with quote
So, My Roommate Is A Cat turned ninja?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:14 am Reply with quote
^ My Roommate Is a Mule. Wink

Quote:
His preferred serving method for powdered milk is particularly hilarious.

Aw, c'mon now, that was an accident. But it was funny.

I agree that it was odd that Sarada and Boruto didn't at least tell him not to carry the kitten around by the scruff all the time. But any episode featuring Mitsuki gets automatic bonus points from me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
While I agree with most of the criticisms (not sure why Amy thinks doing this immediately after the arc concluded would be preferable timing), I disagree with this:

Quote:
Many of these clips include observations of Mitsuki from the outside—rather than from his own eyes, as one would expect from a memory.

When I recall things I did, I don't see them from inside my head looking out, but from an external view with me in the picture, just like in these clips. In fact, I've always thought it odd that our clearest memories are of something we can't have observed in real time. Maybe it's different for different people, but those I've queried about it say they're in the scenes of their memories too, and not just looking at the scene through their own eyes.

Anyway, yeah, it was a clip show, but I can't get too much of Mitsuki, so I loved sitting through a Mistuki-the-good-parts-version episode. And I really appreciated that Orochimaru gave him a choice about wiping his memories. He's gotten soft in his older age...

The episode also raised the question for me of how Mitsuki's clone made it to adulthood, and how he's different from Mitsuki, besides being a mature adult. That was probably covered, but I don't recall the explanation.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:15 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
(not sure why Amy thinks doing this immediately after the arc concluded would be preferable timing)

I agree with the reviewer on this. I think that if the episode had served as a more timely epilogue to the arc it recapped, it would've at least felt like a post-game show, albeit an unnecessary one. I suppose it could be argued that Mitsuki needed more time to process recent events in order to make the episode's premise more believable, but the decision to summarize an arc that concluded three months ago felt kind of weird to me. However, if the fallout from the Fabrication incident becomes pertinent in the near future, I can see myself viewing the timing more favorably.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:53 am Reply with quote
Huh, ok. To me having something I have just seen be recapped would feel like a total waste of time (like recaps in the middle of a season), but since with my goldfish brain, 3 months might as well be 3 years, I appreciate the refresher.

And I just assumed they were recapping as a prelude for something coming up. Otherwise I think they'd just have done another throwaway filler ep.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
That's a definite possibility! And if the next big arc builds off the Fabrication arc, I'll rescind my criticism of this episode's timing.

My sense was that the staff wanted a break and thought Golden Week would be an opportune time to unload a clip show.
Flü

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Great start indeed, a Mirai-arc has been long overdue.
Easily one of the more interesting characters of the new generation, it's almost a crime how she got basically ignored by both anime and especially the manga so far (then again, with the manga's terrible artstyle that is a blessing...).

I hope this arc will take a while. I'm really not looking forward to the anime adapting the lame manga-plot with stock-edgelord Kawaki and the not-Akatsuki.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:25 am Reply with quote
Can't really say I like Mirai. Too self-centered and flighty. I hated last episode, but this one was actually very nice on several fronts. I liked the solution to the problem and Kakashi's little speech at the end a lot.

I didn't even remember Tamaki at all, nor how she looked as a child. At first I was confused because I thought they were talking about Tamari, but her hair was the wrong color and style, plus she's married to Shikamaru, so...

I really do hate the attitude the Naruto franchise has toward its female characters. If they're not written out completely, they mostly get to stay behind to tend the home fires and without an exception that I can recall, henpeck their men. It's such a regressive men-are-from-Mars-women-from-Venus view. Sakura gets to escape a little, allowed to show off her badass side for brief moments when the writers remember she exists, but then she turns right back into the long-suffering, loyal gf/wife waiting at home for her absentee bf/husband. Likewise Hinata, except she doesn't even get to be badass anymore.

I kinda hoped the next generation could break out of that, but doesn't look like it. I like Sarada, but most of the time she's still forced into the rules-bound class-rep type (i.e., the child-sized hen pecking the boys).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:47 am Reply with quote

So the girl who led them there said it was great, but then as soon as they get inside they find 18 people who've been waiting for days or weeks for the ceremony, and they never question how their guide apparently didn't have to wait at all?

And they didn't wonder why only girls wanted to see dead loved ones? Or why all the men had their faces covered? I assume that's what the other path is for - sending men away from the ritual cave, but they don't know that. It just never even crossed their minds. Mirai's not all that observant for a ninja...

And even if all this was on the up and up, don't tell me there wouldn't be a near riot when the newcomers get ushered right in, while those who've been waiting all that time are sent to the back of the line. Smile

This episode was more interesting than the previous ones, but it's still falling far short.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:03 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Can't really say I like Mirai. Too self-centered and flighty. I hated last episode, but this one was actually very nice on several fronts. I liked the solution to the problem and Kakashi's little speech at the end a lot.

I didn't even remember Tamaki at all, nor how she looked as a child. At first I was confused because I thought they were talking about Tamari, but her hair was the wrong color and style, plus she's married to Shikamaru, so...

I really do hate the attitude the Naruto franchise has toward its female characters. If they're not written out completely, they mostly get to stay behind to tend the home fires and without an exception that I can recall, henpeck their men. It's such a regressive men-are-from-Mars-women-from-Venus view. Sakura gets to escape a little, allowed to show off her badass side for brief moments when the writers remember she exists, but then she turns right back into the long-suffering, loyal gf/wife waiting at home for her absentee bf/husband. Likewise Hinata, except she doesn't even get to be badass anymore.

I kinda hoped the next generation could break out of that, but doesn't look like it. I like Sarada, but most of the time she's still forced into the rules-bound class-rep type (i.e., the child-sized hen pecking the boys).

you REALLY cant be surprised by hinata's disposition! she was never like that personality wise. while you do have a point about sakura and the other ladies, i highly doubt their gonna let sarada be like that all the time. that would more or less be massive problem especially if like her mom also develops feelings for that idiot!

Quote:
When the girls reach their destination—a well-hidden cave—they find 18 other young women (presumably the missing girls mentioned in passing in the previous episode), all of whom wish to speak with deceased loved ones and were brought here by disciples of Jashin

from what this ep have been laying out, does this REALLY mean that we'll be seeing the return of that psycho bastard hidan or probably one of his descendants!? (I hope not!) cause in the original series , the only time we have heard the term "Jashin" was the of the religious cult that hidan worshiped and he believed that it gave him those curse like justu that killed asuma.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This realization helps her realize that the “King” refers to the shinobi who protects the future.

That's backwards. "King" refers to the future the shinobi must protect.

That was a decent ending I guess. I take it that was supposed to be Asuma's ghost backing her up, rather than her form reminding them of his. They didn't seem quite awed enough for the former though.
db999

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I actually quite liked this episode and enjoyed it a lot more than the last clip show episode. However I'm really confused about the ending. Did Sarada really not get promoted to chuunin? Because when they decide to promote Shikadai they talk about how both him and Sarada proved during the Hidden Stone arc that they were perfectly suited to be promoted to team captains. They never state that Sarada didn't become a chuunin and they make a point everytime a candidate gets disqualified to show their picture getting discarded but that never happens with Sarada. Shikadai's picture is placed right next to hers and it seems like they're both getting promoted. But then the final scene and episode preview only show Shikadai getting promoted and Sarada isn't mentioned again. Did she get promoted or didn't she? I wish the episode was fully clear on that point. The reviewer seems to think that only Shikadai got promoted and if that's true I agree it's really stupid. One of the biggest complaints people have had on this series is that the child characters are too similar to their parents and out of the entire cast they promoted the one character that is most similar to their parent. Shikadai is a carbon copy of Shikamaru with almost no differences between their personalities other than that Shikadai complains less. I hope that Sarada was also promoted because that would help lessen the annoyance.
Bioshocker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:09 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while sicne I've seen someone being so upset about a recap episode (yay, this bodes well for the production of future episodes) and that Boruto decided to go with the part 1 rule of one chuunin elected per exam instead of Shippūden rule where multiple could be elected. It's a new rule for the new era, because there isn't really a demand for ninjas. They live in peace. No need for multiple new chuunin commanders being promoted at once unless something big was happening. Iirc in Kakashi Chronicles they said that Kakashi was prematurely promoted to Jounin because of war.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 31