• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Children of the Sea Anime Film Opens at #5 in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:14 am Reply with quote
At #5 that's sounds not good for Children of the Sea, flopped right? Sad.
Changeman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:52 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
At #5 that's sounds not good for Children of the Sea, flopped right? Sad.

Not necessarily. First we do not know how much the film cost to produce, but anime is cheap, so it should not have cost even 1 billion yen. Take the Code Geass movie case, it also debuted in 5th place and grossed more than 1 billion yen and was considered a success (mainly due to its premiere in only 120 theaters, Doraemon debuted in more than 300 theaters)). Also look in Promare, which debuted in 8th place, a lot of people thought it would be a flop, and the series is being held in the mouth-to-mouth and has already raised more than 350 million yen. And according to twitter official, the series is a success.

Children of the Sea premiered in 164 cinemas and in 5th place, for those who know the industry, this is not bad, especially if you take into account that during exhibition of the film the production committee usually sells several products that also influence success.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:52 am Reply with quote
Debuting at only 80 million yen is not good for Children of the Sea. Unless it has strong word of mouth and a long tail I can't see it being considered successful.
Changeman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:32 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Debuting at only 80 million yen is not good for Children of the Sea. Unless it has strong word of mouth and a long tail I can't see it being considered successful.

Promare had a smaller start (according to ANN), though, and on twitter itself are thanking for the success of the movie. Just like In This Corner of the World or Bungo Stray Dog had a a subtle initial collection and were called success after. Well, the rest is as I said, there are several variables to consider, but I think it's too early to get so pessimistic.

On this site you follow the update on buying tickets in Japanese theaters and get a sense of how the movie is going: https://mimorin2014.blog.fc2.com/

the position changes all the time, but currently Promare, that was considered a flop in the first week, is among the top 4 most sought-after movies on Tuesday, and Children of the Sea comes right behind it.

If Promare, which is an original film managed to escape this desperate situation, I do not see why Children of the Sea could not, it is not unusual in this industrial such twists. At least not until the next two or three weeks.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:44 am Reply with quote
I don't know how popular the manga is in Japan, but i would guess that it's far from being a mainstream success, so #5 doesn't sound so bad to me?
Changeman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Film grossed over than 110 million: https://pixiin.com/ranking-japan-boxoffice2019/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1