• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix Reveals Final Fantasy VIII Remastered Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tianchris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:10 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:

Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Castlevania, etc. The ports go on and on and now the ever content low denomination consumer is clamoring for even more ports on the Switch, the ultimate port machine. It's absolutely pathetic. Ports are a blight on the video game industry and I'm more than happy to hear that the PS5 is backwards compatible so that they'll lose the excuse, stop wasting time and money and put it towards new games instead.

Wow i never knew that people bought switch because it's the ultimate port machine. I always thought it's all about zelda, mario, etc. I mean considering PC is where the port usually end up. But is it really bad that they port a game that 2 decades old? There would be a lot of people who never play this game and won't play the original because the graphic is bad. But i guess since you don't like it it means the game developer is wrong to do this. Wonder how old are you?

On another note this is my first rpg i've ever play and i've been hoping for the remake since ff7 and ffix already got one.
D-Rock

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:10 am Reply with quote
I had heard they lost the source code for FFVIII and that's why they weren't (or couldn't) remake it. Was this just a baseless rumor, or a bold-faced lie?
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:36 am Reply with quote
D-Rock wrote:
I had heard they lost the source code for FFVIII and that's why they weren't (or couldn't) remake it. Was this just a baseless rumor, or a bold-faced lie?

I have a hard time believing you're ever going to get official word as to why it took longer, but if you like rumors...apparently, Squaresoft were really bad at keeping any of their original code. 7's remaster was reverse-engineered from the PC port. If all this is true, they had to do all that additional work making 8's remaster from its crappy PC port.
Chaotic-Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:07 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

You do know this is also on the Xbox One & Switch two platforms that are made by companies that made previous systems that never had any version Final Fantasy 8 right?

Love how you completely sidestep my Switch comment. That was epic.

The points made were still valid. Just because you owned those consoles and had the chance to buy, doesn't mean everybody did. I didn't own a PS3, I was too busy with Microsoft for that generation, so I had no chance to play Final Fantasy VIII. Even if it's not something for you, as multiple people have pointed out, it takes basically no time and basically no resources. It's just to help the studio... And to give the fans what they've been asking for. But the fact that you sidestep every other bit of valid reasoning, to argue against the fact that the other response sidestepped your Switch comment, it basically confirms you won't accept this and you'll still hate on it anyway.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:55 am Reply with quote
lol Square you sly dogs saying there was no way to remaster or re-release it cause you lost the original code. You trolls got me good!

Can't wait to buy it I've been wanting to play it again for years if its the same game just upgraded grahpics then my old strategy guide will come in handy

Hope the trophies will not be impossible to obtain like IX or X. Like some of those are sadistically difficult.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:20 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
There is a huge difference. The more these lazy companies push all their R&D on digital ports that have been available for 10+ years on PS3 the less original games I get This entire generation has been littered and flooded with ports.

Ports are an excuse not to create original games.

We've had literally hundreds of PS1 ports already released on the PS3's stores ready to buy at low prices. In 2013 Sony Corporation announces that the PS4 will not be backwards compatible with any PS3 games, even digital ports from older consoles. What happens? They release them again on the PS4. Wasting valuable R&D reporting everything all over again and using it as an excuse to either take this entire 2010's decade to release a legitimate new entry in a dying series, or not at all. (Let alone develop new IP's)

Ports legitimately killed this entire generation. The PS4 was a complete and utter waste of time. The PS3 had the excuse that it was the first time those games were being ported on a digital platform and by all means they should have transferred over to the PS4 for pre-existing owners or new buyers, but instead valuable R&D was wasted on porting old games all over again for the rest of the generation. That means that since 2006, video game developers have been porting the exact same games from a decade prior twice (again starting from 2013). No wonder kids today are playing rated M games like Fortnite and GTA, all the once prevalent childhood franchises are MIA because their IP owners are too busy making ports.

Kingdom Hearts HD was already available on PS3 and ported again to PS4. Then we get even more KH ports of the spinoff titles. THEN we get KH3 in 2019.

Mega Man 1-10 all available on the PS3 store, again ported into the Legacy Collection. THEN we get Mega Man 11 in 2018.

Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Castlevania, etc. The ports go on and on and now the ever content low denomination consumer is clamoring for even more ports on the Switch, the ultimate port machine. It's absolutely pathetic. Ports are a blight on the video game industry and I'm more than happy to hear that the PS5 is backwards compatible so that they'll lose the excuse, stop wasting time and money and put it towards new games instead.

You must really enjoy your sense of entitlement from Square-Enix.

Dude, grow up. People have been clamoring to S-E for years on their Facebook page to do an HD remake of FF VIII just like IX and X and X-2 got. Just because it doesn't fit your sense of business standards doesn't mean this re-release is a complete and abysmal failure.
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
To make sure we get some positivity and some actual appreciation, I'm very much looking forward to this game coming to Switch.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
Love how you completely sidestep my Switch comment. That was epic.

Much like how I love how you apparently had nothing to say about all my other points.

In particular I'm still stuck on how you actually said Fornite was an M-Rated game while also ignoring how GTAV was a port. While attempting to insist the current generation of gamers are playing these games due to the prevalence of ports which of course is not the reason.

varmintx wrote:

I have a hard time believing you're ever going to get official word as to why it took longer, but if you like rumors...apparently, Squaresoft were really bad at keeping any of their original code.

Shit are they trying to offer up competition to Sega?
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:53 pm Reply with quote
D-Rock wrote:

No. It just makes things more complicated. And therefore more difficult.

It is true that back in the early days of game dev, especially in Japan, it was routine to just dump all the source code and not preserve things, because nobody could've predicted how big video games would grow as a market, and so when the game was completed, it was just considered one & done.

Porting older titles is usually accomplished via emulation, which is why people note many PSOne or PS2 classics on PSN seem to be basic iso files of from the original disc run via emulation and some patchwork to take care of bugs.

This becomes harder to do when dealing with remasters. For example, many cite the terrible HD Collection Konami did of Silent Hill 2 & 3, which is littered with bugs and issues etc. because they didn't have the final source code.

But even then, the same is true for many other titles, and it depends on how much work the team is willing to put into it. For example, Bluepoint, which did ports of the Metal Gear Solid series as well as ICO/Shadow of the Colossus said they would just take the PS2 disc data and then reverse engineer it. Then go in and make the improvements. Which is significant work that can be complicated. Especially when the publisher prefers to port titles on a smaller budget.

So a lot of classic titles from the past are hard to get right as remasters. Many prefer just straight emulation. But if one wants to go in there and clean up textures and redo assets and sound and music, then it gets more complex.

Thankfully, nowadays, since the PS3 era, developers have seen that ports and HD remasters are in demand, and hence now take more measures for game preservation with their code, so it will be less of a problem moving forward.

More info, specifically about FF8:
https://www.vg247.com/2018/09/14/isnt-ps4-xbox-switch-port-final-fantasy-8-preservation-may-answer/

As the article explains, they had a lot of trouble with FF7. Lost a lot of source code, and had to do some regigging using what they had, and taking recourse to what was on the final PSOne discs. And FF8 was a more complex game than FF7, so it understandably had more complications.

Ironically, it would be more straightforward to give FF8 the FF7 Remake treatment than for the poor guys to go in there and sort through the mess of code, but naturally a Remake would also be far more expensive.

Hell, if FF7 Remake does good, I can see Square Enix Remaking FF8 next. Though I think an FFXVI will come first.
Nicholas Cervenka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:26 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
It's been available on the PS3 digital store for 10 years. Cut it out with the goddamn ports.

Yeah, all those silly Switch, PS4, Xbox One and steam owners can just just buy a PS3 and download it from the store.
Nicholas Cervenka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:28 am Reply with quote
I'll buy it if they include cheats like they did FFIX. Having to stand around and draw every single spell and junction them and then not use those spells was a pain in the ass.
russ869

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:50 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Hell, if FF7 Remake does good, I can see Square Enix Remaking FF8 next.

If that ever does happen (even if it takes decades) I will die happy. Although it doesn't seem likely, since FFVIII was never as well received as FFVII. Not that I understand the reason why, since FFVIII is by far my favorite of the series.

Square Enix has been pumping money into FFVII spinoffs for so many years that it was predictable they would eventually remake the original game. The only other entries that got sequels/spinoffs would be FFX and FFXIII, and those are new enough that they don't really need to be remade...
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Another version for me to get I guess.

This is probably my favourite FF game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2