• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dororo

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Something I've been meaning to ask from early on and kept forgetting, but does anyone know what's the significance of the herd of white Dullahan horses in the sky over Dororo in the first OP? They're really beautiful, but I don't recall seeing them in any episodes and now they're gone.

I think we finally got our answer Wink
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Was it ever confirmed that one of the brothers is actually a girl? I read somewhere that, I think it to be Mutsu, was indeed a girl, but played more a Mulan type role here, pretending to be a guy to even help Tahoumaru. And when I saw the episode, he had his chest bound/covered with the bandages, so I wasn't sure if that was confirming it or not.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:12 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

Indeed. Though not why they're headless. Smile

I had thought that Mutsu and Hyogo were just pulled from families serving Daigo's household. But this indicates that Daigo was committing atrocities for years, even after the demons "blessed" his lands with prosperity.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:06 am Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Was it ever confirmed that one of the brothers is actually a girl? I read somewhere that, I think it to be Mutsu, was indeed a girl, but played more a Mulan type role here, pretending to be a guy to even help Tahoumaru. And when I saw the episode, he had his chest bound/covered with the bandages, so I wasn't sure if that was confirming it or not.

........He has caught the plague and lost an arm.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:10 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Indeed. Though not why they're headless. Smile

I had thought that Mutsu and Hyogo were just pulled from families serving Daigo's household. But this indicates that Daigo was committing atrocities for years, even after the demons "blessed" his lands with prosperity.

Horse turns into a demon...right next to a postal demon killer. Smile
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:18 am Reply with quote
Sadly this adaption did not break new ground and actually follow the author's intention of Dororo being the main protagonist.

Also-my two-cents- little bro should've been killed off by now-this false moral equivalency has been going on far too long.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:47 am Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:

Mutsu is dressing like a man??? In disguise??? I just assumed she was a woman based on voice / looks / mannerisms the whole time.
Vikkio92

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, am I the only one who feels like there is no grey area here?

I can understand why Tahoumaru and Daigo would want to stop Hyakkimaru, but I don't see any valid reason why Hyakkimaru shouldn't try and take back his own body.

These two parties have opposing interests so it is natural that they would be in conflict with each other, but that doesn't mean that one of them is naturally 'right'.

Dororo's speech about Hyakkimaru becoming someone else simply because he wants to take back what is rightfully is and was unjustly taken away from him was ridiculous.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Vikkio92 wrote:
Seriously, am I the only one who feels like there is no grey area here?

I can understand why Tahoumaru and Daigo would want to stop Hyakkimaru, but I don't see any valid reason why Hyakkimaru shouldn't try and take back his own body.

These two parties have opposing interests so it is natural that they would be in conflict with each other, but that doesn't mean that one of them is naturally 'right'.

Dororo's speech about Hyakkimaru becoming someone else simply because he wants to take back what is rightfully is and was unjustly taken away from him was ridiculous.

Agreed
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Vikkio92 wrote:

No, not simply because he wants his body back. Dororo totally gets that. The problem is the way Hyakkimaru intends go about it, and what that will do to the person Dororo knows. The ends don't always justify the means, to be cliche about it. But in this case, the means may be changing Hyakkimaru into someone just as ruthless and self-centered as his father. If he can't find a less destructive path to his goal he may gain his body and lose his heart. And to Dororo's dismay, he's not even looking for another way.

And for someone who has the capacity to be kind and gentle and caring, how will he feel when he gets his body back after killing so many people to get it? When he can see with his own eyes and feel with all his senses the misery he's caused in pursuit of it?
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:13 am Reply with quote
I don't think anyone's questioning that Hyakkimaru has the right to take his body back or that what his father did to him was wrong, but the deed is done and reversing it will have consequences and innocent people are going to suffer. for it

Personally i think the show has been doing a great job of showing this ambiguity so far.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Is there not a point of no return when it comes to Hyakkimaru getting his body back, and if there is it has definitely been passed. Enough of it has been returned that damage to the domain is being caused, so retrieving these last few parts is hardly going to make any difference, and on the other end nothing has been hinted out that they can just return these retried body parts back to the demons.

What illness did Mutso have, was it Scarlet Fever?
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:54 am Reply with quote
The thing is, I never bought the concept that Daigo’s land gained prosperity *because* he sacrificed Hyakkimaru to demons. I think the prosperity was *in spite* of the demon deal (probably due to Nui’s prayer to the goddess of mercy). Problem is, Daigo convinced Tahomaru & company of his version of events, and that’s what’s leading to this very bloody showdown. It’s hard for me to see Tahomaru and Hyakkimaru as equally gray: Tahomaru bought his father’s B.S after a mostly charmed, privileged life of leisure, while Hyakkimaru fought tooth and nail for the right to exist with all but two allies/found family members after being abandoned and scorned by his family of origin. Tahomaru never once tried to see his brother as human and deserving of life. He’s completely in the wrong, regardless of how his dad-tainted views justifies his world view, like a religious fanatic going after non-believers because they think they bring bad karma to the world and can’t be convinced otherwise.

Also: I love the demon horse! Hell has no fury like a momma scorned! I hope she sees her foal is okay and has a peaceful send off. Mother/child love should play a big role in the next episode and I’m looking forwards to it!

I think Mutsu has smallpox, it would explain the red marks and quarantine.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it's more important than ever to reflect on why the show is named after Dororo" "Tezuka's original Dororo manga never truly concluded,"

(you've answered your own question Smile )

Had the manga not been abruptly canceled,Dororo would've emerged as the main character. Leading a peasant revolt to overthrow the Samurai- her father's plan paving the way....

At it's core,the live action movie was more faithful to Tezuka's work than this current version. My thoughts-this show jumped the proverbial shark.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I suspect there's a Buddhist interpretation to be made for this scene, but since I only studied western philosophy, to me it smacks of utilitarianism

I think the anime has stronger leanings into Buddhist philosophy, as illustrated in the conversation.

Buddhism teaches that human desires and cravings cause suffering not only to others, but for our spirit too. The ideal is to liberate ourselves of desire to reach enlightenment, but desire is what makes us human; not many are prepared to take that path. Thus, the practical actualization of Buddhist salvation is by being mindful of our actions, to be aware of the price paid for our actions/survival/etc.
Your mindfulness allows you to not identify with the impulses of your strong emotions or directly act from them; to not hold on onto everything that affects you in any way, to collect yourself and seek a more ideal way of conduct.

Both Hyakki and Thaoumaru are extreme examples of a lack of mindfulness, wholly embroiled in their respective desires at the expense of others. By not taking a step back to assess the situation, they are now in this mess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13