• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Files Response to Vic Mignogna's Lawsuit

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh baby
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation also claimed that Mignogna is "libel-proof."

In other words, his reputation is so terrible, it's impossible to libel him, as he can be believed to have done any horrible thing.

It's a total burn from Funimation. And I hope they eviscerate that creep in court.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

In other words, his reputation is so terrible, it's impossible to libel him, as he can be believed to have done any horrible thing.

It's a total burn from Funimation. And I hope they eviscerate that creep in court.

Amen. He had his chance to better himself and took it for granted. Dude has detonated every bridge that exists
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't he have some kind of hack lawyer off of YT? He might want to look into getting actual legal counsel.

I used to be a huge fan of him years, and years ago when I was a teenager but then I started hearing all the shit around the time I stopped going to AWA. Not sure if I'm surprised.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
Doesn't he have some kind of hack lawyer off of YT? He might want to look into getting actual legal counsel.

No, you're thinking of his hack lawyer's hack lawyer friend on YouTube. That guy's just the propaganda minister.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
If Vic had attempted to apologize to Monica Rial, Jamie Marchi and anybody else he wronged, including Funimation, he might have been able to salvage his career. Any character he has voiced previously will be recast, and I'm guessing that includes Broly for any future DragonBall SUPER appearances.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:16 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
AntiKuro wrote:

No, you're thinking of his hack lawyer's hack lawyer friend on YouTube. That guy's just the propaganda minister.

Look that whole thing sounds like such a Trainwreck that I hope someone secretly livestreams his lawyer trying to defend him in court.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote
No sympathies to Mignogna.

For once in his damn life, he's going to learn the meaning of karma and how it can seriously bite you in the ass down the road.

For the record, I've dealt with Mignogna's ego first-hand at C4 2012 in Winnipeg after asking for his opinion on the state of the anime industry only to have him say that he needed to make a phone call to which he left the table to which then his agent informed me that I can only be there to buy an autograph and nothing more.

So yeah, no sympathies.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Another Vic article eh ? *Grabs Popcorn*

But seriously though Funimation is not playing around. I'm interested to see how this will turn out.
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
as usual, if you are going to read a court doc and report on it, please consult a legal professional in the article and cite this person.

that is what separates a personal blog from actual journalism
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Innocent until proven guilty.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by MarthKoopa on Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lizuka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
He has enough people scrambling to excuse what he did that honestly he probably could have salvaged something from all this if he'd just made an apology but no, of course not.

Granted I'd rather he didn't manage to salvage it. Screw this creep.
unready

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:56 pm Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:
Innocent until proven guilty.

This is a civil suit, not a criminal trial.

Jennifer Sherman wrote:
... Funimation also listed 14 affirmative defenses ....

It varies by state, but usually an affirmative defense means that the burden of proof shifts to the defendant (Funimation in this case) to prove that it's not at fault, instead of the plaintiff (Mignogna in this case) having to prove that the defendant is at fault. 14 affirmative defenses is a lot. Funimation's lawyers must be overwhelmingly confident things will go their way.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
I thought the tables flipped and everyone was going to Mignogna's defense?

Now everyone hates him again?

Nah. Basically the guy on YouTube (Nick) has been covering it since the beginning of February. For 5 months he was pretty much the only person with legal expertise covering it, so all KickVic could do was grunt and snidely remark about stuff on Twitter but had no real way to oppose him because nobody else were lawyer. Then about a week ago one of RoosterTeeth's VA said he called in a lawyer friend to try to get Legal Twitter involved, so a lawyer guy name Greg stepped up and started weighing in, and basically all of KickVic rallied behind him and have been worshipping everything he says as gospel. Y'know, basically what they've been accusing people of doing for Nick this entire time only now it's okay because it's their side doing it.

So.. basically right now its a "my internet lawyer is better than your internet lawyer" slap fight and a lot of pointless ramblings on Twitter until people wait for court stuff to happen. So it's not really 'everyone hates him again' so much as 'KickVic finally has some sort of semi authortive voice to counter the huge narrative that ISWV has had for the past 5 months'

Last edited by Commander Cluck on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13