• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake Game Debuts on September 20

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:16 pm Reply with quote
The idea of customized dungeons sounds pretty neat an a nice way to add more replay value to the game. Link's Awakening is one of my favorite Zelda games and the new graphics look great and I can't wait to play this remake.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Kinda looks like Zelda by way of South Park.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote
This demake is disgusting and everybody at Nintendo should be ashamed to dishonor such a beautiful game.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, those sure are some polarized reactions.

Somewhere in the middle for me, I think. The graphics look better this time around, dunno if that's just my brain adjusting to it or if there's actually something different about it compared to the first trailer. Original graphics were also pretty cartoonish, really, but nostalgia might make them feel more serious.

The custom dungeons thing is interesting, but I don't really see how there'd be any challenge in beating a dungeon you arranged yourself. Will have to see how that works out.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the middle too. Link's Awakening is one of my favourite games.
I don't mind the new visuals, but I'm not a fan either. I know that for a new audience you have to rejig the visuals, but it is a shame as the old ones had charm.

I am really excited though. Plus, getting newly done music will be so good; this game has such a great soundtrack. The wind fish's theme makes me tear up so a fully orchestrated version will be pretty moving.......

The dungeon maker feature looks cute. It looks like it's a time attack type thing.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
The art style reminds me a lot of Wind Waker which was also polarizing for fans when that first came out but now fans love Wind Waker's more cartooney style. I think it's a fun, colorful, and expressive style that works well for the game.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:42 am Reply with quote
Europe and Australia get this nice limited edition. Wasn't going to buy it on launch, but now I'm reconsidering.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:02 am Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
Europe and Australia get this nice limited edition. Wasn't going to buy it on launch, but now I'm reconsidering.

Oooh! I knew of the steelbook (which is super cute) but not the rest of the stuff.
If it has art linked to the old-school version as well as new stuff I'll have to get it...I want to see what's in the artbook.................
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:51 am Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
This demake is disgusting and everybody at Nintendo should be ashamed to dishonor such a beautiful game.

How do you make a demake of game that was originally 8 bit?

And let's be honest with ourselves the original game's graphics weren't all that good being they were dated by the time the game came out in 93 which was two years after "ALttP" came out.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:58 am Reply with quote
Worth noting that, if the special limited bundle remains only for Europe and Australia, Switch cartridges are not region-locked or language-locked so it should theoretically work for anyone. (I accidentally ended up with the EU edition of Mario Party but it works as normal in the US.)

...Though it looks like the US is getting a "dreamer edition" which appears to be the same bundle, just without the decorative metal gameboy box. That version's artbook has a completely different cover for some reason, but the contents are probably the same.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:05 am Reply with quote
It's a bit of a strange art direction they went to.

I feel that if they were going to maintain the shrunken SD artstyle, 2D may have been the better choice. It seems okay from the top-down perspective, but any shift creates a disconnect between the character and the voice for me. It's gonna feel weird playing Lego Luncas.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I actually think this artstyle looks cute, I'd love if Nintendo made a remake of all 3 Mother/Earthbound games in this style, and perhaps also the Oracle games as well.[/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1