• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Punch Man Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhat

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:31 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
When will OPM fans realize Madhouse didn't even make S1 LOL

It was literally one director and all his reclusive freelance animators. Give me one Madhouse anime from the last 4 years since OPM ended that has any matching credits for animation with OPM. You'll find absolutely no one.

If OPM S1 was a success, Madhouse wasn't the reason. It was by sheer luck that the guy who was tasked with OPM S1 knew and convinced a bunch of God-like recluses to hop on the program. Animators who are usually hopping between studios, countries or even disappearing from the animation world entirely. The Garbagehouse meme needs to end. They're not a good studio, they've made trash product before and after OPM mainly consisting of speedlines and a general LACK of animation.

Badhouse is not the reason S1 looked good, but it is the meme "fans" will be shouting from the bruised concaves of their throats til the end of time. I hate S1 anyway for setting an unrealistic bar that of course an S2 could never get away with replicating. S2 looks PHENOMENAL by modern anime standards all on its own, with a priority placed on CONSISTENCY. Not like e-celeb worshiping Madhouse shills would ever know a thing about animation that didn't come from someone else's mouth.

Hivemind at its absolute worst. Think for yourself, don't let someone else think for you.

I find this pretty interesting thanks for the write up.
brammerhammer23

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I watched the 1st episode and thought is was good. I caught back up by watching episodes 2-6 together and they flowed pretty well and I enjoyed what I watched. I think this show is better binging than watching weekly. I'll probably wait the season ends to watch the rest of the episodes. I think its a good adaption so far and by itself its a solid 8 so far.
Thaumana

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:53 am Reply with quote
Felt that I have to express my liking towards this series here since I got the impression that the second season got a kinda unfair treatment of the anime community since the point back then when the new studio has been announced. At any rate, "mediocre" or "bad" are terms that would've never cross my mind while watching the animation even though I admit that this one lacks of eye-candy sakuga potential. It still causes headache every time when I see how people on twitter are comparing their ripped HD Blu-ray screenshots and gifs with the dialogue scenes from season 2.

I have my manga tankoubons here and always reread the chapters after the respective anime episodes for fun. Didn't like the tournament arc at the beginning since so many events were occuring at the same time and I was more concerned about the invasion than those participants. But with the finals and the heat up conflicts I got more and more invested as I was back then during the seaking arc. Metal Bat's appearance and fight against the centipedes and Garou were handled pretty solid in my eyes... Also I like Metal Bat as a character. Somehow I always have a heart for the delinquent type. Friends who don't know the manga and also watching the series are also enjoying the episodes so far - and they think that Metal Bat is actually one of the more interesting characters from the hero roster.

So, yeah, even with my fresh memories of season 1 in mind I can say that I have a good time with season 2 so far.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
then he gets unceremoniously thrashed offscreen to hype up some new elite monster. It's such an afterthought and such a weird way to treat one of your main characters.

Is this your first shounen anime or OPM episode mate? Genos getting smashed to hype up a dude is basically a running gag. Yeah it probably could've been placed in episode 7 which also shows said monster, but hey they wanted to hit their Genos smashed quota.

I dunno, just seemed like a weird criticism of all things to me.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Either way, with one of its biggest subplots concluded, the end of this mess of an arc should hopefully be in sight.

Heh, about that...
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 6-7 have been paced a little too fast. They don't take their time with the fights and rush through many important manga beats, but that being said; Saitama vs. Suiryu in the later part of this episode was really well done and you can tell they visually upped their game for that one. Arrow
Thaumana

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
The most fights and participants weren't that important so I understand why they speed it up. I didn't like that arc first when I read the remake back then in particular because of the tournament which appeared like a distraction to me. I was more concerned about the occuring monster incidents over the whole city.
Then there were the finals and Suiryu's explanation of his own motivations. That's where it became interesting once again for me. It emphasized the contrast of Saitama's personal view of an embodiment of a hero in comparison to other notorious heros. That's when the more interesting part of the arc begins. Still enjoyed the comedy nontheless so far. It was hilarious how everyone including the annotator misinterpreted Saitama's action.
Woody__alien

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:23 am Reply with quote
I don't think that OPM season 2 is horrible as many says it is, however I don't think it's all that good either.
Besides the inevitable drop in visual quality, the tournament arc is not interesting or engaging at all (being more like a bog-standard shonen), and for the rest there are so many overlapping events and heroes/monsters/villains running around that each one is given very little time to shine, and thus it's hard to care about their problems.
Also one of the funniest things about season 1 was the constant "married couple" bickering between Genos and Saitama, which here is almost not present at all: Genos is too soldier-like and Saitama is too careless and apathetic. I know that it is part of the gag, but if the MC is given nothing interesting to do, it becomes just boring instead of comedic. King and his case of mistaken identity were hilarious, but again it seems just yet another plot point that makes the story even more jumbled than it is.

I dunno, everything from the comedy to the fights to the OP and ED seems just nice but ultimately unremarkable to me; I will see this to the end but without expecting anything special. Hey, now I know how Saitama must feel!
anddo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Read the manga.
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I noticed alot of odd eyes and head shapes this episode. Especially at the start.
The fight with sonic had some briefly good moments but it seemed to also feature alot of stills with wipe lines to indicate speed instead of animation.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I have mostly come to terms with the animation (and lack there of) this season. But damn it, don't end on a cliff hanger with Saitama finally showing up looking ready to punch a monster, make us wait 2 freaking weeks for the next episode, and then show him punching absolutely nothing. If you're not going to really animate it, fine. Just put it at the end of the episode instead of a cliff hanger building up anticipation which won't be delivered upon.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
^ Gotta agree with that. It was a pretty cheap move to avoid animating anything.

Quote:
Suiryu's complete 180 of an arc over the past couple episodes is great, but rather than continue to explore that, OPM cuts it off with a joke about Saitama refusing to take him on as another apprentice.

I'm not sure what else you wanted them to explore about a secondary (tertiary, actually) character this late in the season (or at any time, really). Unless you want a spin-off series about his new path as a hero or something, they seem to be done with him, and that's fine. And the joke was funny, which has often not been the case this season.

So glad Sonic cooked the monster cell. Very Happy
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:58 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I feel like I have mostly come to terms with the animation (and lack there of) this season. But damn it, don't end on a cliff hanger with Saitama finally showing up looking ready to punch a monster, make us wait 2 freaking weeks for the next episode, and then show him punching absolutely nothing. If you're not going to really animate it, fine. Just put it at the end of the episode instead of a cliff hanger building up anticipation which won't be delivered upon.

.....Really.
A two-week delay due to the French Open-what with Naomi Osaka's match.
"not going to animate it"...The scene comes straight out of the manga (chapter 121). And why should have the manga & anime-nvm point of the "fight" was Suiryu's realizations/redemption,not Saitama one-punching back to back peons.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
.....Really.
A two-week delay due to the French Open-what with Naomi Osaka's match.
"not going to animate it"...The scene comes straight out of the manga (chapter 121). And why should have the manga & anime-nvm point of the "fight" was Suiryu's realizations/redemption,not Saitama one-punching back to back peons.

Having a legitimate reason for the delay is irrelevant. The bottom line is that they left on a cliff hanger, and didn't bother showing us the delivery.

Also, we must be watching different shows. The entirety of the amazing season 1 was about setting up villains for Saitama to come in and one punch. Blah blah Suiryu blah blah redemption. I call BS. The entire fight here as well was built up so that the audience is waiting for our hero to come in at the end and do his usual one punch thing. They put the cliff hanger in at that exact moment because they knew the audience was waiting for what comes next.

I'm not even blaming them for failing on the animation part. I'm blaming them for pacing it so that we ended on that cliff hanger for 2 weeks which won't have a good feeling follow through. They teased, we waited, and then we got Saitama's body conveniently in the way of the camera. Maybe they don't have the creative talent to fix that last part, but they sure as hell could have fixed the first part.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Kinda funny how Saitama keeps beating up the hero hunter without knowing who he actually is.

Still thinking about the porcupine monster with the free hugs sign.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7