• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vinland Saga Anime's New Promo Video Previews Aimer's Ending Song

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:44 am Reply with quote
Why did this show have to be stuck on Amazon where it will have a harder time getting an audience?
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:54 am Reply with quote
This looks absolutely spectacular. Can't freaking wait!
Ajc228

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
This looks absolutely spectacular. Can't freaking wait!

They always show the best cuts of animation in the promos. I’m concerned that they won’t be able to maintain this level of quality throughout. The director has primarily done CG productions, so I’m a little concerned that there is gonna be a lot of awkward looking CG Vikings. Studio Wit productions are usually somewhat inconsistent. The first several episodes look great because they have enough time but production problems happen and it seems to snowball afterwards. Kabaneri of the Iron fortress looked great for the first 6-8 episodes and then it kind of slipped in terms of consistency. I realize every production is different and it has more to do with the staff involved and the various director's ability to effectively manage time but I can’t help but worry because studio Wit is a bit spotty with quality control.
Scoot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Why did this show have to be stuck on Amazon where it will have a harder time getting an audience?

Dororo is on amazon prime video and its one of the most popular Anime thus far.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
It's sort of ironic Amazon gets this when, as I recall, some of the blame for the Vinland Saga manga's sales over here was put on Amazon cancelling their initial pre-order listing for volume 1 (which people didn't necessarily all go back and redo).
EiMs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I think it is a problem just outside Japan, because their Amazon prime is very cheap compare to Netflix or other streaming sites + other benefits. Besides Amazon has world wide license so everyone at least has a chances to watch legally. You need to realize that just US gets mostly everything on CR most countries, because of licence bs, even don't get a possibility to watch their desired shows legally at all. Sure they can pirate but it is a different topic.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Scoot wrote:

I don't know how representative of the fandom as a whole AniTrendz is but according to their latest poll, Dororo isn't even in the top ten right now.
https://twitter.com/AniTrendz/status/1140204872685576193
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Scoot wrote:

I don't know how representative of the fandom as a whole AniTrendz is but according to their latest poll, Dororo isn't even in the top ten right now.
I checked the voting page and Dororo was not on there, so they must just have shows that are new to that season.

Maybe when Anime Strike was a thing, Anime on Amazon would get less attention, but now you only need to have a subscription to watch them. I hear the complaint of "I do not want to get a Prime subscription to watch a handful of shows", which fails to account for the people who have Amazon Prime for other reasons, not just to watch Anime.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Considering Kono Oto Tomare and Senryuu Girl are the top 2, and that Kono Oto Tomare was first the previous week, I suspect that it isn’t very representative, based on how the shows have done on other sites (for example, of non long running shows currently airing, only One Punch Man and Shield Hero have more members than Dororo). One person responding to the linked tweet was surprised by the outcome, as they hadn’t seen anyone talking about the two shows, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there were more. Without viewer numbers, I don’t know that we can resolve this, but going by the performance of some other Amazon shows, even during the Strike era, I’d say the supposed negative effects of being on Amazon are overstated.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Scoot wrote:

AniTrend only covers show in the season they started airing so ongoing shows like Jojo, Shield hero and Dororo won't appear anymore.
I do agree that being amazon exclusive has limited Dororo's popularity a bit but ultimatley it depends on the show so wether Vinland is more or less popular will depend on the quality of the adaptation
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Glad that we don't appear to be getting terrible one-note anime only characters for this one. Yukimura's work is finally getting respected by a director so hope it ends up well.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:56 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Better than Netflix jail!

When is Carole and Tuesday coming out? I think they still haven’t set a date!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1