• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fruits Basket

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Radrappy wrote:
That said, I think this remake is sorta weak in terms of direction, comedic timing, and general emotional execution of some key scenes. I don’t think it’s going to hurt any first time viewers because the source material is so dang good and these characters are lovable in any form they take. More than anything though, I’m excited to see this story finally finished in animated form.

This is how I feel, in summary. I'm really excited to see the story through, it's just that so far the direction of the show feels just kind of serviceable rather than evoking the elements of the story with added color and dimension. The story itself is as good as ever, but the look and feel of the episodes isn't grabbing me the way I would have hoped.

SnowWarren wrote:
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1130533875283894275
In this video, Caitlin Glass explains why Momiji has a German accent, but one thing to note is Caitlin explains that Momiji calling Hatori "Hari" is the type of nickname a Japanese person would never come up with. Only someone familiar with a Germanic language would use that type of nickname. By that logic, it's possible that the dub is still having Tohru refer to her friends as Uo-chan and Hana-chan because that is the type of nickname a Japanese person would come up with. It might be an attempt at getting into the characters heads more.

Interesting video. I'm glad we finally have a culturally intact version of Momiji for anime viewers to enjoy. That might make sense of the naming conventions for certain characters, but it it still doesn't explain why they retained "Miss Honda" instead of "Honda-san" for Yuki-- a change which I honestly prefer-- or why Tohru drops the "-kun" when she refers to Yuki and Kyo. Honestly though, none of that particularly bugs me, I just wish they wouldn't drop random Japanese terminology (like "senpais" *grinds teeth*) in where English phrasing will work more naturally.

JacobC wrote:
I prefer this change not only because it's odd that Tohru would be standing that close to the Head's domicile in such a giant family compound, but we also get a glimpse of a mysterious young man sitting next to Akito, who looks sort of like a cross between Shigure and Kyo. Hooray for more foreshadowing!

This is where Jacob and I definitely differ. I think all the added foreshadowing is gimmicky, and I prefer the sobering mood evoked from a chance (or maybe not so chance?) passing that leaves us with the same feelings of foreboding with which Tohru is left. FWIW I never assumed that Tohru saw Akito from the main house, but that Akito came to a house on or closer to the "outside" to get a look at Tohru. But more important than the literal why and how of it is the way that Tohru kind of senses Akito (as opposed to a CGI car driving up): the original framing draws a kind of thread between the two of them in that moment which feels less acutely depicted here. In many ways, this is Akito's first chapter, and thus represents Tohru's first brush with the essential nature of the Sohma curse, so asking us in that moment to split our attention between Tohru, Akito, and whoever else is in the car (even knowing who it is, I honestly thought it was just Hatori at first glance) lessens the impact of that emerging dynamic.
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Concerning episode 8:

Manga fans have long belabored how Shigure's sinister side is entirely absent in the original anime, but a certain scene in this episode (you know which one I mean if you've seen it) is the first time in this anime presentation that I felt it clearly shone through. I have to give this adaptation team credit for evoking more plot and characterization meaning in that one smile and line of internal dialogue than in probably any other scene in the anime so far, as it not only more strongly suggests that Shigure has ulterior motives but also what they might be and why.

Other than that scene, I found this episode a mixed bag compared to the first adaptation. This version has a consistent habit of dropping what should be key emotional peaks in the middle of episodes so that it can expand the story beyond them, and it did so again here. While that does flesh out the overall story more, it comes at a cost. This episode recovered better than what I call the "rice ball" episode and had a nice moment at the very end, actually seeing a little of the family life of Uo and Hana was neat, and there was the aforementioned scene with Shigure, but it still feels like the adaptation is only running at about 80% of where it could be. That it's still in my book one of the top 3-4 series of the season despite that is a testament to the source material, I guess.

Now a question for manga readers: We've seen a few new scenes added here and there, but overall this adaptation is exactly pacing/following the first one so far. When can us non-manga readers expect a total or near-total divergence? (An answer couched in terms of the first adaptation is preferable.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Now a question for manga readers: We've seen a few new scenes added here and there, but overall this adaptation is exactly pacing/following the first one so far. When can us non-manga readers expect a total or near-total divergence? (An answer couched in terms of the first adaptation is preferable.)

There isn't one! You can just expect the stories you remember from the first adaptation (especially the Valentine's Day episode and the Anniversary of Kyoko's Death episode) to have extra dramatic context and foreshadowing scenes in them that were originally removed. Then the story will just continue on from where the first adaptation ended spoiler[with the reveal of Kyo's true form], minus the anime-original ending where spoiler[Tohru asks to meet Akito].
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:35 am Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Then the story will just continue on from where the first adaptation ended spoiler[with the reveal of Kyo's true form], minus the anime-original ending where spoiler[Tohru asks to meet Akito].

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. I was always under the impression that more had been changed then just that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Finally watched episode 8 with my sister. I was visiting friends over the break, so we didn't get around to watching it together until today. Loved the episode. Loved how both Uo and Hana looked out for her... Hana getting the boys to go back wasn't anything new, but I like the scene where Uo called Tohru to check up on her, which the previous anime didn't have.

For anyone who is watching the English dub, there's a little Easter egg for anyone who watched the 2001 anime. When Tohru is washing the dishes while Kyo and Yuki are in the other room, she's humming the opening song "For Fruits Basket" from the previous anime. I had to rewind and listen to it again to confirm, but my sister and I are pretty sure that it's the opening theme she's humming. I'll need to listen to the Japanese dub to see if they did the same or if this was Laura adding a little bonus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:22 am Reply with quote
Crisha wrote:
For anyone who is watching the English dub, there's a little Easter egg for anyone who watched the 2001 anime. When Tohru is washing the dishes while Kyo and Yuki are in the other room, she's humming the opening song "For Fruits Basket" from the previous anime. I had to rewind and listen to it again to confirm, but my sister and I are pretty sure that it's the opening theme she's humming. I'll need to listen to the Japanese dub to see if they did the same or if this was Laura adding a little bonus.

How did I not notice this..? Yeah, that's definitely the old ending theme she's humming. I'm still wondering if the original opening song will make a final appearance (as an instrumental or covered by another artist possibly) given how much the original author loved it. But hey, we've got a whole 63 episodes until we get to the end so that's going to be a while haha
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:14 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
But hey, we've got a whole 63 episodes until we get to the end so that's going to be a while haha

Is that hyperbole or did they actually release info about that? Both strike me as equally believable. Laughing
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:29 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
KitKat1721 wrote:
But hey, we've got a whole 63 episodes until we get to the end so that's going to be a while haha

Is that hyperbole or did they actually release info about that? Both strike me as equally believable. Laughing

No official info released (aside from assuming the first season is probably 2 cours given the blu-ray release schedule/number of episodes on each disc), but apparently one of the voice actors let it slip in an interview recently that it was 63 episodes long, which seems like a pretty specific number to just guess (so like around 5 cours worth I guess). I'd have to look though to find out who said it.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
JacobC wrote:
KitKat1721 wrote:

No official info released (aside from assuming the first season is probably 2 cours given the blu-ray release schedule/number of episodes on each disc), but apparently one of the voice actors let it slip in an interview recently that it was 63 episodes long, which seems like a pretty specific number to just guess (so like around 5 cours worth I guess). I'd have to look though to find out who said it.

That definitely seems like a fair number to adapt 136 chapters! Especially considering that decompression was more heavily employed as the manga went on.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 8 used that insert song I don't like and now I'm worried that's just what they're going to shove in any time something happens that's Tohru/Yuki/Kyo triad-related. Thankfully they used one of the gorgeous instrumental pieces they have at their disposal for the actual sunrise scene so that turned out excellent. Also they made up for it by giving Episode 9 the perfect title. I'm so happy that's coming. I'm so happy the Hatsuharu episode is happeninggg

I agree with Key that there's an absence of real emotional trajectory in these episodes though, and I think a lot of that comes down to a lack of clarity about what most of the added scenes are meant to evoke, combined with some confusing pacing choices that gives the impression of dramatic overreach at times. On principle, I love the scene where Yuki and Kyo rush back to see Tohru, and the use of flashbacks to convey the sense that they've grown through knowing her, but it didn't feel like this episode necessarily earned it as well as it could have. It's meant to resonate as a reflective moment in which the two of them elect to defy the dynamic that keeps them bound to their shared history of trauma for the sake of another, which has a reinforcing effect on their own healing processes, and which would seem to be kind of a big deal but with how it's aligned in terms of this episode's framing it's more like a sudden slathering of sharp cheese on top of a pretty ordinary, uneventful bagel. And the additional content after they arrive back at the house just feels like killing time; it's OK, but not particularly memorable, and even the call from Arisa (a character I always love to see, don't get me wrong) is just a little too trite and convenient. She calls to check in and then they have to find a reason to get her off the phone ASAP and it's just like...'kay then? Again, not a bad idea on principle, but when you're delaying the gratification of one of Furuba's most iconic and enduring scenes, maybe it would be worthwhile to find a more engaging framework for padding things out. It's not as though the sunrise scene is more cathartic for all that. It plays as another big manga moment the preceding material didn't so much build towards as it did wait it out.

I do love peak passive aggressive Shigure though, and his dynamic with Akito is everything it ought to be. That scene gives off a real sense of, "Let the games begin," and it's bone chilling. This is where the groundwork in this adaptation is strongest, and I'm so ready for it all to come together. Bring on the pain.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:20 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Crisha wrote:

How did I not notice this..? Yeah, that's definitely the old ending theme she's humming. I'm still wondering if the original opening song will make a final appearance (as an instrumental or covered by another artist possibly) given how much the original author loved it. But hey, we've got a whole 63 episodes until we get to the end so that's going to be a while haha

Oops, thanks for the correction, it is the ending theme. Should have double-checked on if it was the OP or ED.

Just listened to the Japanese dub, couldn't recognize any specific tune from her humming.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Hatsuharu's episode was so good! Everything was on point in terms of story flow, the jokes all landed (especially the running gag with Hana, actual goth queen of Furuba), and I it represents the best kind of chapter/episode in that it displays the story's penchant for lulling the audience into a sense of safe, light-hearted fun what with all the visual gags and colorful characters only to swerve suddenly into unanticipated *e m o t i o n* that makes sense of all the subtext that went previously unspoken. The scene with young Haru and Yuki was gorgeous.

I did notice that Crunchy's subs translated "Black" and White" Haru as "Dark" and "Light" respectively, and I wonder if that was reflected in the dub as well? I can infer why that was done as I've had my share of awkward moments watching the original series and wincing at the portrayal of "Black Haru" as an aggro dirt-talker, but I feel like the humorous context is pretty neatly thrown into relief with the reveal of his Zodiac spirit (and there's the issue of colorism to contend with...), so I just found it an interesting choice.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:33 pm Reply with quote
So what happened to coverage of Fruits Basket? It’s no longer listed under the New Anime tab for Daily Streaming reviews. Will we viewers get a status update? I’m looking forward to Jacob’s excellent reviews continuing. Hope that happens. I’m really enjoying the anime.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:08 pm Reply with quote
^^^
You had me curious, so I looked around.
This is on Jacob's Twitter today:

Quote:

㋐ Jacob Chapman ㋐
‏4 hours ago

Today is write about Fruits Basket all day Day
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Cool, thanks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 22