• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Get In The Robot, Shinji"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Great article, Zac! Now someone needs to make one over "Griffith did nothing wrong"
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much the "jeez, poor kid" vs. "ugh, whiny brat" reactions to Shinji correlate to whether people watched it in Japanese or with Spike Spencer's dub.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
I wonder how much the "jeez, poor kid" vs. "ugh, whiny brat" reactions to Shinji correlate to whether people watched it in Japanese or with Spike Spencer's dub.

The good news is Spike Spencer is not involved in the new dub, so that shouldn't be an issue with new viewers. The new dub voice for Shinji sounds a lot closer to Megumi Ogata's original performance.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Just get to work and finish 4.0 Anno...

octopodpie wrote:
Shinji's dad could stop the monsters from attacking at any point without involving his son.

spoiler[They're attacking in an attempt to retrieve Adam from within NERV to begin with, but Gendo needs Adam to fulfill is entirely selfish plan to reunite with his dead wife. So he keeps Adam in NERV underneath a city that's home to thousands of civilians and sends his kid into dangerous situations to defeat said monsters.]

Yeah, but that would just spoiler[trigger the 3rd Impact]. So it is still in Shinji's self-interest to get in the robot. Loving yourself ain't gonna change that.

Anyway, I hope Netflix popularity means local overseas theatrical screenings of 4.0 closer around the theatrical release in Japan.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Well I haven't seen the new dub yet, but the reviews on reddit are...well, more reddit than usual. Supposedly the script is more in tune with the original Japanese dialogue at the cost of the original English dub's raw performance. Eg. Shinji's is supposedly more bored sounding like Asuka's seems to be all over. Curious what this means but I'll have to see for myself.

Also, they replaced the Fly Me To the Moon ending theme. Although I understand the reason why (Married with Children had to give up Love and Marriage intro on their DVD's and the Drew Carey Show has only released their first season due to so many copyright issues), even still this feels like pure heresy moreso than any dub change.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Seems that it had to do with music licensing issues. But basically the ending theme for the credits has been replaced, and even the scenes in the series with the background theme are just silent.

"Neon Genesis Evangelion made its grand streaming debut on Netflix today, but as fans settled down to watch the seminal and influential anime series, they immediately noticed one thing was missing: Claire Littley’s cover of “Fly Me To the Moon.”

In the U.S. version of Netflix, fans noticed that Littley’s lilting cover of the classic song played over the credits — in a different version each episode — was missing, replaced instead by a segment of a theme for one of its characters, Rei Ayanami. But more than just missing sweet outro music for each episode, the instrumental versions of “Fly Me to the Moon” woven throughout the episodes during pivotal moments were also gone, replaced only by silence.

An individual with knowledge of the production told TheWrap that Netflix worked with the Japanese studio that made the original anime series when licensing the 26-episode show for a new English-language voice cast version. “Fly Me to the Moon” was among a “few select” assets the streaming service was unable to obtain for all regions, due to the way the song was priced for global rights."

https://www.slashfilm.com/neon-genesis-evangelion-music-netflix/
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:29 pm Reply with quote
So far I'm Reading a lot of negative feedback. Netflix was too cheap to get the rights for the ending theme, Fly Me to the Moon. amazing. A lot of bad new translation decisions. No translation of things like signs and what not - many of which are fairly important. The episode titles are now basically direct translations, when the old ones "Rei I, Rei II, Rei III for example) were supposedly chosen by Anno himself, so those should've been kept.

edit: I checked episode 19. The color issues still exist. Some scenes too blue, other scenes too yellow, and others too green at least. I'm in shock that Netflix spent all this extra time making the script inferior to the old one and what not but couldn't be bothered to make the messed up footage look more like the original broadcast when a random fan did so by himself years ago. I don't think I can link his article because it talks about piracy but he a had blog post with great detail about how he corrected the color to match the broadcast more. I really don't get why Netflix didn't do this, unless they were not allowed to. Such a big moment would've made perfect sense to do a proper "Remaster" that fixed such issues.

Lastly, they apparently censored Shinji and Kaworu's relationship. spoiler[ They changed Kaworu's "I love you" to "I like you". I hope it was just a simple mistake from a translator that had no context. ]
PMDR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've heard many people say, and I'd generally agree, that Gurren Lagann serves as something like Gainax's answer to Evangelion

But Gainax made both of them. How do they answer themselves? "Remake it again!" seems to be their actual answer to themselves.

Given Gainax's very shaky history with barely surviving even when they had a hit on their hands, I guess they can be forgiven for latching onto a real success and running it as long as they could.

Also, Hikari Shinji never needed to be told to get in his robot. But this kid shares almost the same name, unfortunately.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I’ve definitely known people who have seen Eva that still respond with this meme. We all do, because they are the same people whose biggest takeaway from Eva was “God, is Shinji annoying”.

And in some ways it’s sadly fitting. If Shinji is the embodiment of a depressed teenager, then all those people are only reacting to him the same way most of society reacts to actual depressed teenagers - “suck it up, you’re piloting a giant robot. That’s way cooler than anything I ever got to do, what could you possibly be depressed about?”
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
This is a really well-written article and I definitely understand the point Zac is making here, but I have a fundamentally-different reaction to the series. Right after I first saw Eva during its [adult swim] airing, I was quick to defend the series as a whole and Shinji in particular against the usual litany of complaints from most of my friends. However, with the passage of time, I can't really bring myself to stand up for him anymore. I also suffered from clinical depression and anxiety in my past, but I don't recognize a kindred spirit in Shinji. At my lowest points, I would have LONGED for someone to tell me to "get in the [expletive] robot," because it would have given me a goal, a purpose, anything to hang my hat on, an escape for the drifting feeling of worthlessness and inadequacy. My overwhelming desire was to be able to do something that no one else could, to be a hero to someone, and the fact that I couldn't was a large part of what kept me in despair. Even though I'm in a much better place now, those lingering desires still bounce around in my head from time to time. So to a see a character given that chance to step into that role, even if it's the result of heinous manipulations, but continually and repeatedly shy away from it at every opportunity, is something I fundamentally can't identify with.

I've heard many people say, and I'd generally agree, that Gurren Lagann serves as something like Gainax's answer to Evangelion, with Simon as Shinji's antithesis. I can't help but think of the middle arc of that series, when Simon is at his lowest point of all, and how he escapes it not through some grand heroics or inner mind theater, but by the simple act of recalling just what it is that he CAN do, and then going ahead and doing that one small thing. It's a far more life-affirming and encouraging sentiment to me than anything that Evangelion ever delivered. But hell, maybe that's because Shinji really needed a Kamina in his life but never had that blessing. One of the things I found most appealing about the Rebuild movies is that in 2.22, Shinji was allowed to be far more proactive than in the series proper, especially in its triumphant climactic moments. I haven't seen 3.33 yet, but from what I've heard, it seems like Anno chose to once again step back from that, which is definitely frustrating.

So I guess my rambling point here is that it's possible for someone to understand what Anno was going for with Shinji, and to have empathy for the idea of him as a character, but still not really identify with him in any way. At this point I find Eva much more interesting as a case study of what sort of creative endeavors a person under extreme stress and suffering from severe mental illness can produce, instead of as a piece of entertainment in its own right. Most of its cast feel more like archetypes ripped from a psychology textbook than living, breathing people, and while I'm long overdue for a rewatch, I don't expect to come back around on Shinji.

I don't have rebuttal or anything I just appreciate how you articulated your own experience because it felt very relatable to me, so thank you for sharing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

I don't have rebuttal or anything I just appreciate how you articulated your own experience because it felt very relatable to me, so thank you for sharing.

Yeah, I waffled on saying anything at first because just posting "^^^this" is not exactly a useful contribution, but I agree! I think that's a really salient take on Shinji that's critical of the character's portrayal without defaulting to edgelord "stop whining!" criticisms that are entirely unfair. I relate to your perspective on the guy heavily, especially that last paragraph is almost word-for-word how I feel as someone who still finds Shinji's arc weirdly uncomfortable, (though that impression is a decade old, so it might change on a rewatch this time, who knows).
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Saying that Shinji avoids stepping up to the role at every opportunity is a big simplification, though.

There are several occasions where Shinji refuses to get out of the robot, or goes overboard in a battle (showing that that isn't a healthy choice for him either). There are also times where Shinji pilots it explicitly to save the people he cares about. The entire "get in the robot" routine mostly applies only to episode 1; yes, Shinji has several moments where he gives up over the rest of the series, but saying he never tries at all is factually incorrect. One of the big points early on is that he did try, he did do what was told of him - and it still wasn't enough for his father to acknowledge him in the slightest, so it breaks him down, and then later almost killing Toji breaks him down again, and then killing Kowaru breaks him down again. Every single one of these? Was a result of him getting in the robot. He did step up to be the hero, to fulfill his directive, and progressively awfuller things kept happening because of it! In fact, "doing something because it's a purpose you're given to fill your void" is already part of his character. "Why do you pilot the Eva?" "Because I was told to." "That's your only reason?" (paraphrasing here)

Having said that, though, I agree that Shinji is definitely a flawed person, but so does End of Evangelion (I know at least one fan who dislikes EoE specifically because of this), so I don't think that's particularly contrary to everything else.
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
So far I'm Reading a lot of negative feedback. Netflix was too cheap to get the rights for the ending theme, Fly Me to the Moon. amazing. A lot of bad new translation decisions. No translation of things like signs and what not - many of which are fairly important. The episode titles are now basically direct translations, when the old ones "Rei I, Rei II, Rei III for example) were supposedly chosen by Anno himself, so those should've been kept.

It's not a bad translation at all, it's just more faithful to the original Japanese version. The 90s translation was pretty loose at best and flat out wrong at worst, but people grew up with it so they're complaining. The Kaworu stuff is just fujoshi tears and a complete non-issue
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:

The good news is Spike Spencer is not involved in the new dub, so that shouldn't be an issue with new viewers. The new dub voice for Shinji sounds a lot closer to Megumi Ogata's original performance.

Not to mention they're a genderqueer (I'm totally new to these LGBTQ pronouns, so please correct me if I'm using the wrong pronoun). Yet, you wouldn't recognize that. To me, the voice still sounds very accurate for how a 14-year-old boy would still sound.
ballinamon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Now I feel bad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6