• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Strange Anime & Manga Spin-Offs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Isn't the anime/manga about the Fate MC literally cooking each episode a better example for the Fate franchise as an odd spin off. It literally a slice of life where each episode is about the MC cooking a new dish.

Also how about Magical Girl S or Pretty Sammy as spin offs to Tenchi?
Naiera

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:46 pm Reply with quote
KyoAni animating the Angelic Days manga, with at least some sort of supervision by Anno, is one of the things I want the most in the entire world. Almost up there with gaining financial freedom and marrying Lucy Hale or Maia Mitchell.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
It's a video game spin-off, but I think iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia deserves a mention. A series with a giant robot plot lifted from an April Fool's Day joke, albeit done with all the melodrama you wouldn't expect. I haven't seen it yet, but I want to just for its delightful weirdness.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Hah, I saw this list and immediately thought "hmm wonder if any of the Fate series are on here" and freaking Prisma Illya is the first thing listed haha. I'm not complaining since it's my favorite Fate series outside the original Visual Novel (Illya is best girl) but like someone mentioned there is a better suited spinoff within the franchise that should take the title "of strangest" spin-off, that being the Emiya cooking series. Prisma Illya may start out as an odd concept involving magical girls but magical girls exist in the canon of the original VNs (Ruby first appears in Hollow Ataraxia) and the tone of Prisma Illya itself literally becomes full on Fate with the signature dark storytelling once 3rei starts. Nasu himself basically said Prisma Illya has become the 4th route of the original Visual Novel with 3rei exploring many of the concepts that were supposed to be in the cut Illya route.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Now, I just naturally ASSUMED that the Gekiganger III episode of "Martian Successor Nadesico" would somehow be at the top of the list, and I wouldn't have to take the trouble to comment.

And "The Cat Returns" doesn't really come off as a "strange" spinoff, since the cat fantasy was pretty much all that the fans did remember from Whisper of the Heart, and still gets the most promotion on the poster--
Hoping to promote Whisper as more fantasy Ghibli-whimsy, and not an earthbound slice-of-life.

And while most shows get a cute-SD "School Spinoff" like Attack on Titan, Assassination Classroom and Overlord/Tanya did, have to admit, "Adventures of the Mini-Goddesses" was a bit strange, even if they did it first.
(And that's not even counting the pre-history of Gundam SD or Ten Little Gall Force/Scramble Wars.)
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Naiera wrote:
KyoAni animating the Angelic Days manga, with at least some sort of supervision by Anno, is one of the things I want the most in the entire world. Almost up there with gaining financial freedom and marrying Lucy Hale or Maia Mitchell.

I never imagined how much I wanted this until you mentioned it. But I dunno, it's either Angelic Days or the Shinji Raising Project.
Naiera

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure I'd be fine with either.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:47 pm Reply with quote
What, no Petit Eva: Evangelion@School ?
Twisted Evil
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:29 pm Reply with quote
To this day it's beyond me how Shinji Ikari Raising Project gets so much love, and yet Angelic Days got so much flak when it came out. Both series are an adaptation of that alternate world depicted in Evangelion's final episode, also revolving around the premise of a love triangle between Shinji, Asuka, and Rei. While the artwork of Angelic Days may be rough, beneath the surface is a meaningful story with a beginning, middle and end about growing up and facing changes, while providing a window showing what the characters are like in a non-messed up world while still feeling very true to who they essentially are (and Shinji's choice in the end made sense in my opinion). On the other hand, Shinji Ikari Raising Project has beautiful artwork--and literally no other substance to it. Whatever story there is is a meandering slog, while 95% of it really is just Shinji tripping and accidentally undressing the girls in insultingly improbably ways. I'm not kidding, it's such garbage that I wish someone would just license-rescue Angelic Days so people can give that another chance.

If that never happens, I'm more likely to recommend Legend of the Piko-Piko Middle School Students and Campus Apocalypse as better Eva alternatives--also looking forward to that upcoming intriguing-sounding Anima novel series where Shinji actually stops 3rd Impact from happening.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
This was a fun read and makes me want to check out some of these spin-offs even more.

On the subject of AU-EVA, I'd be so curious to see an anime adaptation of Campus Apocalypse.
Apashi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I never knew that about Betterman. Actually I didn't know much about it at all, but I want to see it. Good to know before going in. Since it's on the subject... Anyone else remember .hack//gift?
PS: Glad someone else mentioned the Pretty Sammy series. I always found Sasami: Magical Girls Club to be a strange spin-off of the Tenchi franchise.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:33 am Reply with quote
Actually,I liked both "The Shinji Ikari Raising Project" and "Angelic Days" a lot better than the original version of "EVA,"and there's a huge reason why. I found that "Neon Genesis Evangelion" was one of the darkest,gloomiest shows I've ever seen. I would have liked it better if it was a more hopeful show. It was just too dark for me and I really didn't like it very much.
That's why I liked manga like "Angelic Days" and "The Shinji Ikari Raising Project." It was a lot more lighthearted and fun than the much darker "NGE." What I've never been able to figure out is why "EVA's" so popular. It's a very depressing show and I've never been able to figure out why so many people seem to like it so much. It starts off fine but then gets so gloomy. I think I'll stick with stuff like "The Shinji Ikari Raising Project" and "Angelic Days." They,at least,were more enjoyable than "EVA" was.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:59 am Reply with quote
It's kind of like when Bleach the Soul Society arc ended and episode 64 showed the show turning into a stupid-high-schoolers-with-secret-magical-powers comedy shitstorm that I could just never go back to watching.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:30 am Reply with quote
Puny Puny Poemi is comedy gold, and it warms the cackles of my cold withered heart to see it listed.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Original: The SoulTaker, a dark and brooding horror/action series about a young man who tries to find the truth behind his mother's murder while battling two shadowy organizations with mutant powers.

Spinoff: Nurse Witch Komugi, a bright and colorful magical girl parody series starring a lackey of one of the bad guys from the original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2