• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (TV 2/2019).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acrylic6

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:17 am Reply with quote
Love it. Cannot wait for the Otakon.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18

Crying or Very sad This episode was so good, it made me cry. I loved the addition of Kisa. Can't think of such a strong anime bullied arc since the one in March comes in like a lion. It did have an interesting turn from what you often hear about needing to learn to love yourself when you are depressed, literally something the awful letter from the had in it, where as especially as a kid you cannot hope to improve unless someone is there to support you. The worst part of that letter was pretty much putting the blame on Kisa for being bullied by not being able to love herself, when it seems obvious that the little shits had grounded down Kisa's self-confidence. She was literally unable to convince herself that she had good traits, bar except just becoming cynical to others in general.

Maybe it is one point why it plays well into the last two episode arc, how Arisa had pretty much given up on her own life of being anything other than a delinquent, picking fights and pushing people away. Before Tohru and her mum, that people won't just run away from her, or give up, and she has the power to be loved, which although they lost Kyoko, Arisa did manage to get a healthier relationship with her father.

Have not really been talking here, but this has continued to be my first experience with the series, and I have really been enjoying it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19

So, is Ritsu transgender? Ritsu did seem to say that they were more comfortable in female clothing, and clearly goes to the whole presentation thing. I can see reason that just because the family think of Ritsu as a boy, that it is their sex and thus transforms them like the other boys, Ritsu might just up and say it. But if they are trans, it seems kind of gross that one of them would outright say it to a new female friend that they just made.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:30 am Reply with quote
First episode I stopped watching midway through. What a disappointment after the past few installments.
Mew1Mokuba-Akari

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Why did they change it from Leeks to Chives? Is there some reason they decided to change it?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 20

Looks like the main thing to mention would be the bratty kid (lamb), Hiro, who acts the exact way that many people cannot stand kids.

My main focus though, was on a revelation that the Akito guy, who apparently has already been stated as all kinds of awful. apparently beat Kisa so bad that it took her two weeks to recover, and all for something Hiro said. Akito is officially on the irredeemable list, or at least would have to go a long way to be redeemed for doing such a thing to her. Any forgiveness would itself be the problem.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 25 (finale)

So this is the last episode of the first season of the remake series. After focusing on specifics of Kyo’s situation, there hints of more, and most of the Somas introduced so far come back for a party or whatnot. Specifically this end of season introduced that Kyo does not just turn into a cute cat, but also a monster. Do wonder what forgiveness says in Kyo hurting Tohru, apparently just a bandage, but he kind of sent her flying. But I guess we sympathise more because we learned the strangeness of his being raised.

I liked the show, coming in mostly blind I found it pretty enjoyable, but specific episodes were stronger than the plot as a whole in regards to different themes, except maybe things like connecting the transformation thing to how it might logically affect their parents. Other than that, specific episodes like the bullying or being an ex-delinquent were cooler. It is good showing that these types of shows can indeed live up to their reputation.

I don’t have a lot of fancy things to say, but I do look forward to continuing with the next season, next year. I give it a rating of Good (7/10), worth seeing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:25 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 25

Wait, are we meant to be surprised that Akito's sex is female? For some reason I had found them confusing enough that I was thinking they were something like a trans man. Kind of feels like this does not have the same impact that it might have meant to have had when it was made, since one's sex does should not dictate their gender. I will assume that it is not Akito's choice to present male though? This series is kind weird in aspects of gender, such as back when Ritsu, who seems like an obvious trans woman but is given other explanations. And Momiji dresses not quite in a gender nonconforming way and with character that I would not be surprised to learn that Momiji is non-binary.

Going by memory, my favourite part of the season would probably be more of the end, when they were doing the school play, that felt like the part with the most fun signs of character growth, personality quirks, and generally entertaining. I like how our heroine, Tohru, was forced into the role of evil stepsister, and how they had to work around that. But I also really liked Yuki's whole storyline as the student president, connecting with the rest of the council, becoming more sure of himself, and I guess him even finding that romance with Tohru was something he was not actually that interested in.

I don't like most of the stuff of Akito when they are involved. I will be using "they" until the show says Akito identifies as a girl. Akito is just so toxic, that I don't want them interacting with the rest of the cast, and I certainly don't want an explanation to make me feel bad for and explain their behaviour.

My rating is Decent (6/10), I was kind of losing interest for some stretches, but I did not lose my time, especially for some of the parts I liked.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:22 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Wait, are we meant to be surprised that Akito's sex is female? For some reason I had found them confusing enough that I was thinking they were something like a trans man.
Never even occurred to me to think of Akito as anything other than a cis man until I noticed manga readers using the pronoun "they" to talk about them. Might have even first come across that in one of Lauren's episode reviews..
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:37 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Never even occurred to me to think of Akito as anything other than a cis man until I noticed manga readers using the pronoun "they" to talk about them. Might have even first come across that in one of Lauren's episode reviews..

Akito's body just looked kind of feminine in a way that just made me think of a female body with short hair to look more masculine, and either flat or wearing a binder.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:35 am Reply with quote
Season 3 (The final), Episode 13 (finale)

Took me a bit to actually find this topic, as it wasn't in the series index. Anyway, everything ended happy, with Akito being able to get over her issue by letting things go and accept the bad things she did, and not everyone is going to forgive her, but its okay. Lots of characters were paired off, and to show how Tohru and Kyo were the series finished with them apparently still love birds with a grandchild.

Going to again bring up my thoughts with this series in regards to gender, I kind of expected I would have thoughts for when it eventually ended. Everyone finds out that Akito is a girl, and good for her that that she gets to openly identify as the gender she is most comfortable as, which is with the provision that regardless it wasn't just decided for her. But she looked good. And on that, I didn't even recognise Ritsu at first in this episode, not until someone actually said their name, because Ritsu's hair was cut and was wearing male coded clothing, which is just weird. I never bought the explanation given of Ritsu that they dressed like a girl to avoid male expectations, it sounds ridiculous. And on an extra bit, I think that this season also saw Momiji go through a growth spurt and suddenly be all masculine, which turned him from a favourite androgynous character into something like a mr steal yo girl. Is it just me, or it kind of feels like this series was doing something like saying characters were better versions of themselves after they acted like their assigned gender, which might be fine with one character, but with three main characters makes me a bit uncomfortable.

The season had some rather dramatic parts, and I will fully admit did make me care about Akito after she had in general come across as so irredeemable that any aspect of her made me less interested. Akito wanting to be friends with Tohru was a great moment. And then you had everything with Kyo, in how he felt guilty for the past, as well as showing us the internal monologue of Tohru's mother's last moments, which was heart breaking. My rating is going to be Decent (6/10), and that is going to be made up of parts that were actually pretty fantastic, with other parts that were actually a bit painful. I didn't lose my time with this series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2