• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: We Never Learn: BOKUBEN

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:08 am Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Episode 3: Where we learn the science girl is a poor girl from a poor family

Ogata's not poor, she just helps out with her family's Udon shop.

Fair enough; After checking out the details of the manga, I'll amend it to "working class" versus "upper class".
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who finds it strange that high school boys and girls don’t have separate physical education sessions?

Co-Ed basketball just feels...grating.
zenbud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Reading those reviews are quite a hurdle when you are more than 100 chapters above it. It just feels that the criticism is unwarranted knowing what happens in the future and that the anime never will reach it as it obviously won't have other season.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:08 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Am I the only one who finds it strange that high school boys and girls don’t have separate physical education sessions?

Co-Ed basketball just feels...grating.

It's pretty common in high school for PE classes to be both. Only when things get competitive will they split up. But normal exhibition or fun games, are often co-ed. Some sports outside of school also have co-ed settings. Again typically they aren't the ultra competitive level. But even in hockey, the leagues that are outside the high school competitive ones are co-ed. It's very common to have at least one girl on a team.

Granted, refs are extra hard on players who play any degree of rough against them and the girls can often times exploit that to help their team win.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11 and from the review, the dislike is strong in this one. I thought it was great. A few episodes ago, I figured out that Kirisu is designed to always look constipated, particularly when her bulging eyes get a single underline.... and another way to say that is she's got a stick stuck up her butt. She really needs to learn to relax.

My only disappointment was that the Hiking club didn't get a retort like "Why are they even here?!" from Kirisu.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:32 am Reply with quote
The Article wrote:
I appreciate We Never Learn attempting to find more for Kirisu to do, but the results weren't so compelling unless you're specifically here to see the teacher in fetish outfits.

Well I'm not not here for that...
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:51 am Reply with quote
The latest review mentions how the 'childhood best friend' character pretty much never ends up with the protagonist in the end and I am drawing a blank on if it has ever happened in any anime/manga ever except for 2 bad examples.

Nisekoi - which just makes EVERY girl a childhood friend yet still manages to pair the protagonist with the single most abusive girl in the show - even more so than the assassin who showed up for the very purpose of killing him.

And To Love Ru, which has it's own problems when you realize who the childhood friend love interest is actually based on.

Which leads me to ask the question - is there one that actually pulls that type of ending off without it being marred by some kind of ick factor?

Added difficulty levels - First, there must actually be more than one love interest who all have an actual chance, so Winry Rockbell doesn't count. And second, harem endings don't count either.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 confirms what I felt about Nariyuki and Uruka since the start: he just doesn't see her that one. That middle school flashback where Nariyuki was more interested in his flash cards that Uruka in her swimsuit... that was Uruka in 7th grade? Let's just attribute it to "artistic license" and move along but then the flashback has a flashback of her 6th grade body and let's just walk away slowly now...

I'm sorry but there's nothing in that scene I find believable except for the fact that Nariyuki is just not interested in Uruka physically. His body reacts to her in the abstract "male to female" but when it comes to what he considers Uruka, he just likes her as a friend.

Quote:
Which leads me to ask the question - is there one that actually pulls that type of ending off without it being marred by some kind of ick factor?

Kanon where it was obvious Yuichi loved the girl from childhood, something that was told to him directly by another childhood friend/cousin.

True Tears to the detriment of the show itself.
Just Because to the detriment of the show itself.

Both of these shows had to do some serious convolution to get the childhood romance going. In True Tears, the elementary school friendship was advanced when the girl the mc knew from middle school gave him a love confession while he was dating a girl he meet in high school. Yeah, I swear that's what happened so the guy broke up with the girl he was dating and said no to the third one.... just because...

And in Just Because... I'll just say that was just because of writer's meddling as the two characters who had the most chemistry together just stopped "just because"... I don't know, there was ten great episodes then it became a confusing mess. spoiler[The main character's stated view to the girl a year below him at the end of the show: "I'm supporting your interest in photography... but I'm not your friend and this is the last time we'll talk together."
So why go see the photo contest gallery in person... Maybe he was serious and he would have said yes to her if her photo of him won first place but that calls into question how genuine his feelings were for either girl?
Just Because gets further complicated because the girl his own age, the former SC president, had her own childhood crush, the best friend of the first guy. Seeing how the show was about "Primary schools" and "safety school", that I wanted to see the girl who spent all her time studying and trying to get into her primary school fail to get both her "primary" guy and her "safety" guy. Nope, she ended up in safety school with her safety guy and the more interesting, less entitled girl ended up crying alone]
Nice. This show still hurts me in a number of ways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2