• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Punch Man Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ethe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel wrote:
Still thinking about the porcupine monster with the free hugs sign.

Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Also, we must be watching different shows. The entirety of the amazing season 1 was about setting up villains for Saitama to come in and one punch. Blah blah Suiryu blah blah redemption. I call BS. The entire fight here as well was built up so that the audience is waiting for our hero to come in at the end and do his usual one punch thing. They put the cliff hanger in at that exact moment because they knew the audience was waiting for what comes next.

I'm not even blaming them for failing on the animation part. I'm blaming them for pacing it so that we ended on that cliff hanger for 2 weeks which won't have a good feeling follow through. They teased, we waited, and then we got Saitama's body conveniently in the way of the camera. Maybe they don't have the creative talent to fix that last part, but they sure as hell could have fixed the first part.

Friend those scenes were pulled directly from the manga-even the artstyle...
This "cliffhangar" you're on about,again it's exactly how the scenes goes down in the manga....

You're missing the meta of the story.
Number 6

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Steve Jones said:

Quote:
As much as I would have liked more focus on these monster-human politics, the sudden appearance of Blackluster threw me for a loop. Last week I briefly remarked that ONE's characters sometimes fall into offensive stereotypes, as with Puri Puri Prisoner, but I wasn't prepared for a character design straight-up lifted from racist caricature. The history of animation can unfortunately be pretty bigoted, and it's disappointing to see that ugly legacy carry through to the modern day, but that's the world we live in. Regardless of ONE's intentions, it's not acceptable to keep raising the specter of blackface in a world where racism still haunts and hurts people. We should demand better from our artists.

Superalloy Darkshine, that's his name, get it right, is a character that first appeared on episode 10 of season 1 of One Punch Man, doing also a cameo on episode 2 of that season. Being surprised at this point is a bit late. It's not up to you to say what's acceptable for an artist to do or not, regardless of history. If every snowflake supporting every cause draws the limits on what people can do, people will not be able to do anything. Spend less time being offended at characters and pictures and pay more attention to the anime. This is me, one person, demanding better from our reviewers.
anddo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Darkshine is my favorite character. I love him and I'm glad ONE and Murata keep using him.
uchuu_kenshi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Number 6 wrote:

Superalloy Darkshine, that's his name, get it right

His called Superalloy Blackluster both in the viz manga, crunchyroll's subtitles and on the anime web site though...
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote
I don't know how the timeline works but I am pretty sure he is a jab at terraformars.

Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel wrote:
Kinda funny how Saitama keeps beating up the hero hunter without knowing who he actually is.

It's worse because the manga made a point of saitama being very excited over the idea of fighting garo.

Quote:
And if I'm being honest, I'd love to get an entire episode that's nothing but the two of them hanging out in King's apartment, with no idea what's going on outside.

id' rather get a bunch of epsiodes of saitama, king, genos and fubuki hanging in saitama's apartment... IIRC that happens quite often in the manga but they skipped that for the anime.
Bexarath

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:23 am Reply with quote
On episode 11:

I could not disagree with the reviewer more on the opening fight. It felt extremely cheap to me, like all the teamwork the heroes displayed in the previous episode, the poison, and Garou's injuries no longer meant anything because the plot said so. The previously so professional heroes decided to spend time talking instead of disabling him immediately. Gatling just stood there for most of the fight despite being able to shoot at him at basically any time. It just felt like the writer wrote himself into a corner and needed Garou to get out of it no matter what.

I will concede though that the animation in this episode was a good improvement, and the writing picked up in the second half, but the beginning ticked me off to no end.
Ethe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:27 am Reply with quote
Saitama is welcome to stay in the sidelines more often as long as Garou holds the spotlight.
megazero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 feels like Saitama is getting DNP's most of the time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ethe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I know that animation problems were inevitable this season, but I find it sad how they didn't even try to improve on the plot of the source material, which was a complete mess in terms of structure. Then again, they probably didn't even have time to do that.

Either way, we ended S2 is quite an awkward place, didn't we. I didn't like how early in the episode Garou was taken out of the picture, and I agree with the reviewer that once he was gone it was hard to care for the fight against Centichoro. Ironically, that wasn't a problem in the manga, since when fights lack emotional weight, Murata makes up for it in pure and absolute spectacle. But Season 2 cannot pull that off, so we ended up with a kind of mediocre fight scene. Oh well.

Looking forward to S3 and more Garou (and hopefully an improvement in animation)
Kirki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:28 am Reply with quote
The only good thing this season had was Garou. And even if I like Garou, I still don't think I would recommend this continuation to anyone, it was just that messy. Sticking with the first season is enough to experience about 80% of what OPM had to offer narratively, so I don't really see much point of someone going through this just to see Garou. It seems like this would be continued in a third season, but I don't think the problems this season had could be resolved easily...
Kirki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:30 am Reply with quote
The only good thing this season had was Garou. And even if I like Garou, I still don't think I would recommend this continuation to anyone, it was just that messy. Sticking with the first season is enough to experience about 80% of what OPM had to offer narratively, so I don't really see much point of someone going through this just to see Garou. It seems like this would be continued in a third season, but I don't think the problems this season had could be resolved easily...
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:21 am Reply with quote
I can't seem to like Garou as much as most people. It is hard for me to not think his "fighting for the little guy" schtick is more than a little hypocritical given that he is a literal superhuman who still took the time to repeatedly slam Mumen Rider's face into the ground, and he is just a normal dude on a bike, who also happens to be one of the sweetest people imaginable.

The thing about OPM is that it is heavily critical of the beurocracy behind the heroes (and society at large I imagine) and while there are some heroes who are cold or even pretty vile, the individual heroes themselves are mostly stand-up people. Even Snek who was introduced as a rookie hunter will stand up against a monster he knows he can't beat to give a guy who humiliated him a chance to escape. Garou isn't actually doing anything against the system of injustice he hates, he is just hurting good people working within that flawed system.

Overall I still quite like this season, the obvious drop in animation quality didn't bother me nearly as much as the out-of-control pacing, but there was still a good story at the core and more than a few genuine showstoppers. I hope we get more.
faboo95

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:25 am Reply with quote
The fact that I didn't realize that I just watched the season finale until seeing this review speaks volumes of the quality of the episode and the season as a whole. Yes part of the issue is simply the point at where they decided to end the season, but almost nothing about it screamed "last episode" to me. What, did they expect me to think that after the major dip in quality that they can trick us with a decently animated one as the high quality finale?
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:51 am Reply with quote
Count me in on the (few) folks who don't care much about Garou. His backstory is not really that original and his OP-ness is second only to Saitama which makes it hard to really consider him the underdog...gimme more Saitama/King SOL instead!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7