• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Wise Man's Grandchild Goes Off the Rails

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Honestly if the web site wants me as a subscriber they need to offer the option to remove certain content from the news feeds! Period! Also this has nothing to do with the opinions spouted I’m bubbles as it’s not real news nor necessary bonus. It simply detracts from the value of the sight. Having the ability to remove annoying things should be a option. Anime is subjective for the person viewing it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:42 pm Reply with quote
^They do have a filter button right at the top of the main page.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
Honestly if the web site wants me as a subscriber they need to offer the option to remove certain content from the news feeds! Period! Also this has nothing to do with the opinions spouted I’m bubbles as it’s not real news nor necessary bonus. It simply detracts from the value of the sight. Having the ability to remove annoying things should be a option. Anime is subjective for the person viewing it.

I mean its your choice to read the articles or read the website. This conversation really should be about peoples takes on the series being discussed and also discussing points brought up by the article.
Drifter24

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:52 am Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:

So instead of ignoring something you go out of your way to go towards that thing you don't like and comment on it? You are free to do so but you probably won't get much sympathy for it. You could also at least have chosen a better anime than just this generic isekai filler....
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:18 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
It's honestly baffling.

As an example of any of the genre it uses, it's just frustrating as none of them are competently executed. Mostly because the other genres keep getting in the way.

It's like the webnovel was a mess and when getting adapted to light novel, it did not get streamlined (though,. considering how they streamlined shield hero, I am not sure it was a bad idea).

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I think that the proliferation of Isekai shows is due to an increasing sense of powerlessness in people. Many of them are pure power fantasies, portraying how powerful Japanese people are when placed in another world. If so, then I doubt we'll be seeing a downswing in Isekai stories any time soon.

I tought the same too, but then they started using isekai as a setting while haivng more varied stories; this site has just added another new on kemonomichi, which is an isekai where the summoned guy just suplexes his sumoner, then sets up a shop and the series becomes a slice of life slapstick comedy.
Changeitup

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Wiseman's Grandchild will go down in history as one of those shows that no one really liked, but no one really hated either. So bog standard it offended absolutely no one.
milkyy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch the show if SOMEONE can tell me what the hell is going on with this guy's HAIRLINE ??? cdn.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/fit300x1000/cms/this-week-in-anime/148238/w35.jpg
Gink0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:37 am Reply with quote
After watching the first season of this show, I find it quite nice, good animation and light hearted development with some serious bits here and there. Only the cute teenager couples BS detracts from the anime, and it's still quite funny to watch some of it.

Somehow I stumbled into this review while trying to figure out if there's a second seasons, and O man, the dude who wrote this, come Ooooonnn man, I feel sad for you, you put so much energy and bad feeling into writing this Nonsensical piece you're making the whole site or forum, whatever this is, look bad.

I will happily watch any more seasons they release, and ignore the poopy mouths from this site, have fun with one another Anime hyper
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:34 am Reply with quote
Gink0 wrote:
Somehow I stumbled into this review while trying to figure out if there's a second seasons, and O man, the dude who wrote this, come Ooooonnn man, I feel sad for you, you put so much energy and bad feeling into writing this Nonsensical piece you're making the whole site or forum, whatever this is, look bad.
So you have no idea where you are or what you read, but you still spent the time registering an account to holler about it. Laughing

I dropped WMG about 8 episodes in. It was fun for a little while but the piece is correct, it's long gone completely off the rails.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Changeitup wrote:
Wiseman's Grandchild will go down in history as one of those shows that no one really liked, but no one really hated either. So bog standard it offended absolutely no one.

This pretty much sums up my opinion of it.

It started pretty well, but presented the main character with no real challenges.. everything was practically handed to him, including him stumbling into his relationship with Blue hair.
This series literally screemed generic at the top of its lungs, and then reveled in its mediocre plot.

I know this sounds harsh, but this this another forgettable title.
Drifter24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:56 pm Reply with quote
It looked great in the first couple episodes but then it became more obvious it was just for a easy cheap cash grab. That amateur or YouTube VA was the nail in the coffin for me....
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
A wise man once compared shows of this kind to meatloaf. Not all that thought provoking and filled with the things we've seen before, but satisfying enough to consume. It was ok, I've seen worse and I've seen better. Maria and August were fun characters. Shin was fun to watch in moments where he lacked common sense. I think the show had much more charm when it tried to be goofy. When it tried to do something serious it was just dull since Shin could wipeout any threat with his finger and the conflicts and the villains were uninteresting. At least the goofy parts were good for a few chuckles.
Drifter24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
A wise man once compared shows of this kind to meatloaf. Not all that thought provoking and filled with the things we've seen before, but satisfying enough to consume. It was ok, I've seen worse and I've seen better. Maria and August were fun characters. Shin was fun to watch in moments where he lacked common sense. I think the show had much more charm when it tried to be goofy. When it tried to do something serious it was just dull since Shin could wipeout any threat with his finger and the conflicts and the villains were uninteresting. At least the goofy parts were good for a few chuckles.

Frankly it was closer to a loaf of bread with some decent condiments like ketchup, but in the end its still a loaf of bread with ketchup. Will probably satiate your hunger but one hardly feels satisfied, unless a loaf of bread with ketchup is your thing then lucky you.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
Animenewsnetwork should pull this opinionated column of bubble BS. It’s not journalism or worthy of the site as a hole. It’s simply a waste of real resources and storage space!

I didn't know ANN stores there news articles on hard drives.

Catseyetiger wrote:
I am very glad I skip this type of content on this site

.....You skip it yet you apparently took the time to comment on it anyway?

Catseyetiger wrote:

and would love the option to not have to see it at all in my news feeds!

You can just stop visiting the site if you hate seeing these articles crop once to twice out of any given week among the smattering of news they cover on the site.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:13 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
It's fine when the main characters have chemistry and character like Chivalry of the Failed Knight but when it's just "she's cute" and "he's important" the series becomes obnoxious.

In terms of a romantic couple I would say that Amazing Stranger was better but I give Wise Man's Grandchild some credit since it did feel like the romance had actual progression and marriage was stated as a goal in the first season. That is rare for an isekai light novel where marriage is usually a far distant goal that might get discussed in the equivalent of the 4th or 5th season which never gets adapted into an anime. That is one noticeable difference with his show even if the romance subplot was not complex.

Animegomaniac wrote:
And the show's ultimate failing? It doesn't have a main point.... not even as a power fantasy. If it was a real power fantasy, it would have been a straight harem or at least a non committed one. Now that I think about it, it is odd that is has all the makings of a battle harem with all the power woman wizards running the spectrum of types and personalities then adds a bunch of generic males.... but then loses interest in the guys but has an "official couple" while still focusing on the women. It's honestly baffling.

The vast majority of the audience are guys so the author wanted a cast with a lot of women while also keeping it PG by having a normal romantic couple. Wise Man's Grandchild was way to tame to compete in the harem genre but I think that was because the author was mostly viewing it as a magic high school story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2