• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Arifureta Author May Have Prompted Anime's Staff Change

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
...And after all that, what we get is still THIS?!
JMulli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:01 pm Reply with quote
(deleted a hot take lol)

Last edited by JMulli on Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
D.E.D.E

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote
JMulli wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

The staff change made things worse actually. The author's picky and obviously overly-protective behavior towards his work made things impossible for the staff. They were pretty damn far into production initially when the author made them scrap everything and replace the staff entirely. This meant that they had to cut pre-production time even farther and had to try and find staff on a lower budget since they already used a lot of their allocated funds on the first set of episodes. This led to the staff consisting of bad animators and overall not enough staff for everything. And despite the fact that his behavior led to this, he's still complaining about it. He is literally the reason this production died so quick. It's disgusting that studios and the staff involved are held to this impossible standard.

What impossible standard? Did you even SEE what they presented last time? An author absolutely has a right to protect his property, rather than sit back and watch it become a dumpster fire. Sure the anime change didn't help things, but let's not shift the blame here. This was a poorly mismanaged production from the get go and the author himself, shouldn't have to step in because the production committee literally didn't know what they were doing. And given the original director was the guy behind the Kingdom anime, i doubt it would have been any good either, given how badly he managed to screw up that simple adaption, adding to the pile of 'great mangas, completely screwed over by a shitty anime adaptations' like Berserk. This whole thing is a mess and the production committee is completely at fault for it, not the author lmao.
Nick4x

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
#810704 wrote:
JMulli wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

The staff change made things worse actually. The author's picky and obviously overly-protective behavior towards his work made things impossible for the staff. They were pretty damn far into production initially when the author made them scrap everything and replace the staff entirely. This meant that they had to cut pre-production time even farther and had to try and find staff on a lower budget since they already used a lot of their allocated funds on the first set of episodes. This led to the staff consisting of bad animators and overall not enough staff for everything. And despite the fact that his behavior led to this, he's still complaining about it. He is literally the reason this production died so quick. It's disgusting that studios and the staff involved are held to this impossible standard.

What impossible standard? Did you even SEE what they presented last time? An author absolutely has a right to protect his property, rather than sit back and watch it become a dumpster fire. Sure the anime change didn't help things, but let's not shift the blame here. This was a poorly mismanaged production from the get go and the author himself, shouldn't have to step in because the production committee literally didn't know what they were doing. And given the original director was the guy behind the Kingdom anime, i doubt it would have been any good either, given how badly he managed to screw up that simple adaption, adding to the pile of 'great mangas, completely screwed over by a shitty anime adaptations' like Berserk. This whole thing is a mess and the production committee is completely at fault for it, not the author lmao.

How do you know this was a poorly-managed production from the get go? I'm not saying you're wrong, as I haven't looked into it myself, but aside from the creator, were there any other signs that things were going poorly before he stepped in and said he was unhappy with the work? Again, I don't know whether this is the case or not. If it is, then your statement is right, but if it's not, then you're no more in the right to say it would have been a dumpster fire than the previous poster is right to say the creator had impossible standards.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Is this what happens when the last part of Shirobako ended up on a bad note?
JMulli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
#810704 wrote:
JMulli wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

A couple of things. Jun Kamiya and Kazuyuki Fudeyasu are fairly decent as things go. Considering the likely episode directors, they would've been very appropriate for this adaptation. The initial character designs were very poor, but the decision on scrapping essentially the entirety of the core team was irrational in every way shape and form. Not to mention, the fact that production was already started by they scrapped it means that the author wasn't involved during pre-production and thus didn't actually give the team any reason to stop. No matter what, the author's decision to scrap it was made at the worst time possible, and was done in the worst way possible. If the author doesn't properly supervise the work before letting it go free, then problems are bound to happen. If he truly wanted to protect his own work, then he would've done it far sooner. After all, he would've had the full right to.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:30 pm Reply with quote
JMulli wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
The author's picky and obviously overly-protective behavior towards his work made things impossible for the staff.

Picky and overprotective? The first key visual was a flaming pile.
JMulli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:51 pm Reply with quote
(deleted)

Last edited by JMulli on Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Is this what happens when the last part of Shirobako ended up on a bad note?

More accurately, this is pretty much what happens during Girlish Number's first half (just with less open authorial annoyance). If you want to spare yourself the pain of seeing the train-wreck unfold, maybe check that show out for a darkly humorous insight as to how this type of fiasco even occurs in the first place. Author, Wataru Watari (the Teen Rom-Com SNAFU writer) was obviously channeling his experiences with disastrous multimedia anime projects when he wrote the script.
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
The new staff is still TRASH, especially the director, so....
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:16 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
JMulli wrote:
The author's picky and obviously overly-protective behavior towards his work made things impossible for the staff.

Picky and overprotective? The first key visual was a flaming pile.

Yeah, I remember the first key visual was heavily criticized so I am guessing that a lot of stuff happened behind the scenes during the first production attempt that caused the author to reject it. I am starting to think that the issues with the Arifureta anime might be someone at Kadokawa giving the author a bit of payback. I mean even ignoring the decision to skip the first 80 pages of the light novel the first episode had some budget issues which was odd for an adaptation of a fairly successful light novel series.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the staff change was necessary.

It was obvious the art was bad, and that the staff allowed it to be so instead of fixing the problem.

So they had to go.

It is sorry that, apparently, this didn't help the anime much. But just like Hollywood, when a show or movie has production and staff issues they still have issues even with a change of staff. As someone above said, there is only so much they can do with the money they have left.
dcmc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Yes, the staff change was necessary.

It was obvious the art was bad, and that the staff allowed it to be so instead of fixing the problem.

So they had to go.

It is sorry that, apparently, this didn't help the anime much. But just like Hollywood, when a show or movie has production and staff issues they still have issues even with a change of staff. As someone above said, there is only so much they can do with the money they have left.

I dont gets why anyone gone nuts over early/first visual,theres many case where the 2nd,3rd or more visual were different than the first&it doesnt need any change of staff
,especially changed to director whose mainly doing ecchi anime....unless that what they/the author wanted arifureta to be viewed as,an ecchi title.

Last edited by dcmc on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Yeah, this was on LN series I was going to try if I liked the anime. Seems like I shouldn't even bother, and just move onto something else instead. Laughing
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:52 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

Yeah, this was on LN series I was going to try if I liked the anime. Seems like I shouldn't even bother, and just move onto something else instead. Laughing

Or you could forget that the anime even existed and just try reading the first volume to see if it's your liking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2