• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Adult Swim Join WarnerMedia's New HBO Max Streaming Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
At this time next year, Toonami will probably be on HBO Max and I can't even process this information...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:49 pm Reply with quote
This makes me wonder if this is why Sentai renewed all their shows with Hulu as they were all set to expire at the end of last month if Sentai thinks HBO Max could be a threat to VRV.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This makes me wonder if this is why Sentai renewed all their shows with Hulu as they were all set to expire at the end of last month if Sentai thinks HBO Max could be a threat to VRV.
I was actually thinking if it was too early to call the death of Hulu tbh. Disney owning 60% of it but starting Disney+, Warner AT&T selling their stake and now starting HBO Max, it might end up being only the smaller players showing stuff on it if they haven't already gone alone
squirrelmecha-2.0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:49 pm Reply with quote
This is good thing Right?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:45 pm Reply with quote
squirrelmecha-2.0 wrote:
This is good thing Right?

If you want to bundle DC Universe, HBO Now, and VRV into one super service and pay less, yes.

If you’re getting annoyed at streaming services tiering you and offering bundles like the cable companies did to avoid ala carte services, no.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
Admittedly, there is the convenience of making it easier to find most of the WarnerMedia catalogs under one service. However, many people would prefer individual services that cater to a specific audience. For example, I think TCM is the only really notable TV channel that really appeals to silent film fans and enthusiasts. Also, one would think that would be more profits by offering multiple individual services vs. a large bundled service. However, I will be using Disney over this because it is a lot cheaper. I honestly hope this plan tanks for WarnerMedia.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:00 am Reply with quote
Didn't see it stated but i wonder if this is just gonna be part of the HBO package by default now or not.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:07 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Update: Crunchyroll clarified with ANN on Wednesday that only select content from Crunchyroll will be available on HBO Max. Crunchyroll's own platform will remain as the only service to offer the company's full library.

The biggest news about this new HBO Max is that Friends will also be leaving Netflix in 2020.

So along with NBC taking back The Office out of Netflix in 2021 for its own streaming platform, that's the Top 2 series on Netflix.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:12 am Reply with quote
Since HBO doesn't censor f-bombs or bare breasts, I'm presuming this means an anime that normally would get edited for such things on Toonami would be unedited on this service? Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2