• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III Gets 1st CG Anime Film by Stand By Me Doraemon's Takashi Yamazaki

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:24 pm Reply with quote
designs look pretty good. they somehow managed to pull off the lupin style in 3d. the animation seems alright. i don't mind a lupin 3d movie if it looks like this, but i feel it will always be best in 2d.
catbot158

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I...really like this animation, and I thought I wouldn't. Kinda reminds me of the test footage for that Popeye movie Genndy Tartakovsky was gonna make; still cartoony and stylish, while balancing a more natural look. Brilliant. Just hope the story and characters hold up.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:38 pm Reply with quote
That looks...far better than I would have expected. It's very fluid and cartooney, which is just what you'd want for rendering Lupin in 3D.
Coldcherrii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Reminder that a few years ago, there was a "tech demo" (or whatever the film equivalent is of that) of CG Lupin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZXBU3bURWc

This looks really great and I hope Discotek licenses it and releases it when they can.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
The animation is fluid and cartoony and that pleasantly surprised me, but those character designs are really uncanny valley.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I can tell a bunch of the people here grew up during the CG era AFTER Disney shut down its traditional (hand-drawn) animation dept.
I question whether a bunch of you have seen a lot of Lupin III anime if your reaction to this CG trailer is what it is.

These designs look too Disney/Pixar to me.
Fujiko looks cute. Sorry, she's NOT supposed to look cute. She's sexy and dangerous.

There's a reason the TMS producers would want to push this --
They believe CG is significantly cheaper than hand-drawn animation.
It really isn't.
And they already aren't paying people living wages.
They also believe if they emulate what's worked with Disney and Pixar, the international audiences will be bigger for their movies.
But they'll lose a lot of what made these films unique from Western movies in the process.
If you become so concerned about the international market and turn out a mediocre product or dumb down the stories chasing that overseas money, you WILL lose your domestic market.
If this film is successful with this "new look," they're going to do the SAME STUPID THINGS the Western studios did.

These producers could KILL at least theatrical hand-drawn animation in the next decade or two. The last vestiges of hand-drawn theatrical animation are in Japan. They've pretty much given up on the art form in the West because the Western film producers believe the Pixar formula and look is the way to go.
I'll calling it right now.
And whether you guys are aware of this or not, you'll be helping these producers get exactly what they want.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote
What's next? CG Detective Conan?

In all seriousness, this actually looks pretty cool. The Lupin cast and style seems to adapt well to CGI even if some of the designs look a little "off," but not necessarily in a bad way. The male cast honestly looks more attractive, while Fujiko is Fujiko (obviously), which is kind of funny.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh crap... as a huge Lupin sucker, this hypes me over 9000. Cool
SolHerald

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:22 pm Reply with quote
@GeorgeC Not having hand drawn animation in the West is terrible, but I don't mind TMS trying new things, there is nothing wrong with a CG film. Let's not freak out that this movie will kill 2d animation in Japan. (*knocks on wood* Wink )

Also these highly-detailed CG movies never look "Japanese"; Advent Children, Harlock 2013, Dragon Quest all look very Western.

Lastly, Fujiko looks cute in quite a bit of the anime, and she doesn't really look out of place here.

Last edited by SolHerald on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:50 pm; edited 10 times in total
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:22 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty sick. Almost Disney/Pixar-like. Will definitely give a go.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Alright but "Lupin The Third The First" is a terrible title
rtil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I can tell a bunch of the people here grew up during the CG era AFTER Disney shut down its traditional (hand-drawn) animation dept.
I question whether a bunch of you have seen a lot of Lupin III anime if your reaction to this CG trailer is what it is.

Fujiko looks cute. Sorry, she's NOT supposed to look cute. She's sexy and dangerous.

It really isn't.
They also believe if they emulate what's worked with Disney and Pixar, the international audiences will be bigger for their movies.
But they'll lose a lot of what made these films unique from Western movies in the process.
If you become so concerned about the international market and turn out a mediocre product or dumb down the stories chasing that overseas money, you WILL lose your domestic market.
If this film is successful with this "new look," they're going to do the SAME STUPID THINGS the Western studios did.

These producers could KILL at least theatrical hand-drawn animation in the next decade or two. The last vestiges of hand-drawn theatrical animation are in Japan. They've pretty much given up on the art form in the West because the Western film producers believe the Pixar formula and look is the way to go.
And whether you guys are aware of this or not, you'll be helping these producers get exactly what they want.

while i agree with you on some level i don't think there's any need to be so condescending.

the death of 2d is greatly exaggerated. eisner tried to kill it and it didn't work. the art won't die so long as there is someone left to teach it.

in any case, theatrical productions in japan have been doing 3d films for a while now, and many of them are a lot more 'disney-fied' than this. look at the recent doraemon film for example.

tv is a different story. and it hasn't been received as well, nor has it shown any significant cost-saving measures or profit margins to warrant replacing 2d.

the only major advent in tv production already happened and that was the transition from traditional genga/cel to digipaint. while there will be more hybridized 2d/3d i don't see 3d completely replacing 2d in japan any time in the near future, nor do i think a film like this is a threat to the entire industry, especially since it's not a series.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

It really isn't.

Dude, feels like you're overreaching too much on the subject without seeing the end result yet. Let's see how this turns out first instead of panicking and making assumptions.

Other than that, this movie looks LIT.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Now this is the kind of CG I want to see from Japan - quality stuff!

I don't believe this will threaten the 2D stuff. That aesthetic has its own established charm.

The only thing that would kill it off is a lack of talent, as likely younger generations are picking up CG more than they are 2D for many obvious reasons. The fact being that skills are transferable and you can work in animation, games and even VFX for live-action film, commercials etc.

CG does have a better chance at grabbing international audiences, though, Europe itself loves 2D more than North American, and France has obviously been co-funding regular 2D Lupin.

I can see 2D maintaining its foothold for television. But for theaterical films, assuming the studio wants to make money overseas, then they'd go with CG.

But the thing people are missing is that the kind of CG films in North America that Disney/Pixar put out are still aimed at family audiences.

So very few anime franchises will fit that bill. Lupin could do it, but anything more adult oriented or even PG-13 level likely won't get in, unless they are aiming strictly for streaming on Netflix.

So there's no danger of most anime going CG aside from either all-ages stuff or a tentpole franchise.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:46 pm Reply with quote
This looks so much better than the newest Pokemon movie and that's funny to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3