• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fairy Tail: Final Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:22 am Reply with quote
I never heard of that happening to him. I mean that debacle wasn't like darling in the franxx bad that it forced him to changed course right???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
immblueversion

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
I never heard of that happening to him. I mean that debacle wasn't like darling in the franxx bad that it forced him to changed course right???

Maybe I'm misinterpreting it, filling in blanks I only think are there. I just know Mashima has said (particularly in this NYCC 2017 interview) he was committed not to letting characters die in this series, both because his previous work had a lot of character deaths, and because of popularity polls and fan reactions that could make or break a series--yet he still drew so many scenes where characters appeared to die anyway, only for it to later turn out they did not. spoiler[Makarov is the only character in this arc who not only actually died and was resurrected, but was done so purely for personal reasons (namely, he felt Mavis dying while Makarov lived was more fitting, according to Volume 62; that also kind of throws a wrench in the idea that Mavis and Zeref are actually alive again in the end, too).]

I also know Mashima was eager to move on to making a new series, and he didn't really want to be involved with Fairy Tail's sequel, as he's said in the afterwords of his works. But moreover was his repeated admission that he rarely, if ever, planned ahead with how Fairy Tail's story would play out, throwing in new ideas, characters, and resolutions as he went along.

So either he came up with those fake-outs as a shameless attempt at drawing attention, or he lost too much steam to fight against whatever fan outcries happened.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:46 pm Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting it, filling in blanks I only think are there. I just know Mashima has said (particularly in this NYCC 2017 interview) he was committed not to letting characters die in this series, both because his previous work had a lot of character deaths, and because of popularity polls and fan reactions that could make or break a series--yet he still drew so many scenes where characters appeared to die anyway, only for it to later turn out they did not. spoiler[Makarov is the only character in this arc who not only actually died and was resurrected, but was done so purely for personal reasons (namely, he felt Mavis dying while Makarov lived was more fitting, according to Volume 62; that also kind of throws a wrench in the idea that Mavis and Zeref are actually alive again in the end, too).]

I also know Mashima was eager to move on to making a new series, and he didn't really want to be involved with Fairy Tail's sequel, as he's said in the afterwords of his works. But moreover was his repeated admission that he rarely, if ever, planned ahead with how Fairy Tail's story would play out, throwing in new ideas, characters, and resolutions as he went along.

So either he came up with those fake-outs as a shameless attempt at drawing attention, or he lost too much steam to fight against whatever fan outcries happened.

thats more or less a contradiction considering that in the sirrius island arc , he allowed zeref to kill off hades instead of giving him a jelall type redemption arc like what he got in the oracion seis arc! and from the way how the internet was lighting up all over the place from fans that on the alvarez arc completely ruined the entire series and its more or less in the same level ala Bleach's 1000 yr blood war arc , i wouldnt even think he would even green light a sequel. especially after the massive flacking that fellow mangaka akamastu received for the MULTIPLE of bad decisions he did for UQ Holder! but yea, i definitely never heard anything like that at all to the point where he forced to change course ala franxx's second cour debacle!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
immblueversion

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Considering how Gray is a Devil Slayer--which Invel took the time to remind us always risk getting their hearts corrupted, and actively attempted to provoke by making him kill Juvia--I was thinking this review would take that into account. Under normal circumstances, Gray would never think of trying to kill Natsu, no matter how he may have tried to rationalize fighting him. It was definitely a shock for him, but he almost definitely would've held it together about as well as he did with Juvia's "death" if he wasn't already weighed down by it. That extra push was all it took to let the corruption worm its way into his head.

jr240483 wrote:
immblueversion wrote:

thats more or less a contradiction considering that in the sirrius island arc , he allowed zeref to kill off hades instead of giving him a jelall type redemption arc like what he got in the oracion seis arc! and from the way how the internet was lighting up all over the place from fans that on the alvarez arc completely ruined the entire series and its more or less in the same level ala Bleach's 1000 yr blood war arc , i wouldnt even think he would even green light a sequel. especially after the massive flacking that fellow mangaka akamastu received for the MULTIPLE of bad decisions he did for UQ Holder! but yea, i definitely never heard anything like that at all to the point where he forced to change course ala franxx's second cour debacle!!!

Hades most likely wasn't a very sympathetic character in Mashima's mind at the time, and he likely couldn't think of any contribution Hades could have for the rest of the story. Jellal, on the other hand, is practically Mashima's pet. He's a direct reference to one of the first characters ever drew for Rave Master, and spoiler[he was devastated after killing him off with no way to bring him back]. That's why he will always be involved in Mashima's works. That's why he's currently an interstellar military man on the prowl for the notorious space pirate Elsie Crimson.

And even if it isn't true, bringing characters back would've been easy for him, because like I said, he never had any sort of story solidly plotted out. In retrospect, they don't really do anything significant after coming back beyond adding more fuel to the ships and solidifying Mashima's relentless determination to make sure his story wouldn't dip too deeply into the same dark and bittersweet territory of Rave Master, at the expense of all reasonable tension this story arc would've otherwise had.

spoiler[Sorry, fans who appreciate Makarov's death for being an exception. If you want this story to have this variety of consequence for our heroes, my only hopes are that the writers either keep Mavis from bringing him back to life (handing his scant contributions to the plot after this to another character, as this season has been so keen to do whenever they have to budget their actors), or that your interpretation of Mavis and Zeref appearing in the end after their apparent deaths doesn't automatically default to "they're alive again for no clear reason, and not just part of Lucy's drunk dream". But with such a committed lack of commitment from the author, I wouldn't blame you.]
immblueversion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
The overlong flashback for setting up merely 30 seconds of character interaction, especially when it was summed up in a single panel within the manga, had to be the studio's effort to save on animation and make this episode move somewhat better than it has been.

On the bright side, the next two episodes from now should be more focused, if my predictions are right, followed by another episode where the end of the fight segues into the next plot point.
Rokk3000

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca made some good points, BUT: Sting and Rogue have been working together well for a long time and have probably done combo attacks, so it's not like Rogue hasn't tried using shadow and light together before. Throwing Kagura into the mix was different, I'll grant, but once you've adapted two contrasting powers, adding a third complementary one isn't that difficult for someone at Rogue's level.

I would have thought the Exceeds, especially Frosch, would succumb to Larcade's power more easily.

I agree it would be nice if instead of splitting time between Natsu (from inside and out), Sting-Rogue-Kagura vs Larcade, and Erza-Wendy vs Irene they would focus on one or two for an episode. On the other hand, they just did that for an extended run of One Piece, and did that get tired. Not even a glimpse of what's been happening on Wano for months. That, we don't want. And it's not like it's unusual for a series or a book to jump between several places and times within an episode or chapter. The key is doing it well.

Did we need to draw out Rogue vs Larcade to be an episode or two by itself? I'm not sure if that would really have been much more effective.

At any rate, I'm enjoying most of the story. I had read a few scattered manga chapters but not all of it, so I had seen only glimpses of the storyline. That makes the anime fresh for me.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:01 am Reply with quote
Well, it's only downhill (maybe with the exception of spoiler[the conclusion of Mavis' and Zeref's character arcs in the very end]) with this arc from this point on unfortunately.

At least it's kinda entertaining to watch still, I remember just getting angry with each new chapter in the manga instead.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
"so their use of the magic stemming from childhood may have combatted the issues Irene and her contemporaries faced. "

Actually, that was already explained at the end of the Tartarus Arc: the first generation Dragon Slayers got resistance to the side effects of using DS Magic by having their teachers enter their bodies and reside inside them for some years.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:38 am Reply with quote
That cliff keeps getting steeper...
immblueversion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I'll give the anime this: it managed to make the conclusion to Natsu's dilemma feel just slightly more poignant, like he actually put thought into it. In the manga, the scene wasn't just anti-climactic, it was stupidly anti-climactic. So much so, it makes me physically ill just knowing it all happens in the span of three panels on a single page:

"Am I a dragon? Or a demon?"
"Choose wisely, Natsu. This is a decision that will impact you for the rest of your--"
"Nah, I'm human."

Of course, that's not what was said exactly, but that's what it felt like in the manga: a punchline to a joke people didn't realize wasn't supposed to be taken seriously and boom, subplot done. By putting in the flashbacks, the anime gives viewers the time for Natsu's decision to sink in before he makes it, and it softens the blow for anyone expecting anything different, regardless of whether or not it actually could or should have gone that way. I wouldn't be surprised if Mashima planned it to be how the anime made it, but had to cut it due to page constraints, seeing how this has happened so often before.

I'll also say that it improved Erza and Irene's battle to a degree. I've seen commenters who hated the outcome to the battle in the manga, but the elements provided by the anime--its voice acting, music, and presentation--helped them get into it a little more, and I can certainly say the same. Things went too fast in the manga, and this week's episode helped things play out just enough to leave more of a positive impact. These are the things the anime gives that the final season was sorely lacking, and as small as they are, I'll gladly take any improvement it makes over the manga.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:29 pm Reply with quote
For a moment, I was thrown off when you mentioned Zeref having an "emotional death", but then I realized you were talking about "the death of his emotions".

Carry on. :3
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:26 am Reply with quote
oh how the mighty have fallen!?
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:56 pm Reply with quote
There's still 100 years quest so calling it series' end is not quite right
immblueversion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Kuroi Ren wrote:

Like Dragon Ball or Naruto, both had anime series with "final" episodes but were continued in the form of sequels. This is just the end of the story as told by the original Fairy Tail manga.
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:19 pm Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
Kuroi Ren wrote:

Like Dragon Ball or Naruto, both had anime series with "final" episodes but were continued in the form of sequels. This is just the end of the story as told by the original Fairy Tail manga.

Fair enough
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6