• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Line Cinema Hires Greg Russo to Write Proposed Space Invaders Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:30 am Reply with quote
Uggggggggghhhhh.

We’re really developing a movie based on a game WITH NO PLOT. Just do a movie on the Armada novel instead.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:48 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
We’re really developing a movie based on a game WITH NO PLOT.

If there's no plot, then you can't screw it up. So it might end up being one of the best video game movie adaptations by default!

Unless they somehow screw it up by not having it be an alien invasion movie... which is very much possible with Hollywood... but still really hard to screw up...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:53 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Uggggggggghhhhh.

We’re really developing a movie based on a game WITH NO PLOT. Just do a movie on the Armada novel instead.

At least no plot beats a hilariously awful one.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:31 am Reply with quote
Didn't Futurama do this ages back when it was still good?

I hear Scarlett Johansson is due to be playing second building on the left.
geepee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:09 am Reply with quote
it still makes more sense than a Tetris movie(is that still being made?)
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:10 am Reply with quote
Seriously? I remember when Taito made a game called Space Riders, which was a sequel to Space Invaders but with a plot and it was widely panned, I can't imagine a movie being much better.
Sidenote, what happened to that Galaga animated series which was announced a year ago or so?
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:13 am Reply with quote
Wow. That's a terrible idea.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
I can't possibly see this ending well. The whole appeal to this game is its difficulty progression and nostalgia. Rolling Eyes
gridsleep

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Those who do not remember the past (Hasbro) are doomed to relive it.

Silver Kirin wrote:
Seriously? I remember when Taito made a game called Space Riders, which was a sequel to Space Invaders but with a plot and it was widely panned, I can't imagine a movie being much better.
Sidenote, what happened to that Galaga animated series which was announced a year ago or so?

Remember when arcade games were fun? There's a pizza place I used to visit (which I must seek out to see if it's still there) that had a Donkey Kong game completely in Japanese. The cabinet, game, everything, it was a Japanese game that had been imported and just set up in an American pizza place. In the intro screen, a flying saucer came down to hover in the air near the Empire State Building. Donkey Kong dropped out of the saucer, lurched over to the Empire State Building, leaned back, and proceeded to spray a huge arc of bright yellow pee from his crotch onto the building, all the while laughing ape style. Tell me when you have ever seen that in an Americanized game? I think the pizza shop owner had that game precisely because that howlingly funny sight was only available in non-English language consoles intended only for Asian deployment. I really need to see if that game is still there.

Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I can't possibly see this ending well. The whole appeal to this game is its difficulty progression and nostalgia. Rolling Eyes

Isn't there a whole series based on that concept? Neon Geneva something I think it was called.

[Do not double-post. Use the "Edit" button instead. ~Zalis]
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I really got to memorize the first names of the Russo brothers. I saw this "Greg Russo" and "Resident Evil reboot" mentioned and got excited (hopefully the movies can now be about the actual RE characters), but after checking I now see it's some new guy (who could be good, but the actual Russo brothers have a solid track record established).
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I wonder whether this will have even less to do with the original game than the Battleship movie did.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Space Invaders from 1990 is pretty much the closest thing to an actual Space Invaders movie Wink
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Uggggggggghhhhh.

A classic arcade game having no plot outside of stopping invading aliens could actually work for a movie. That is because such a simplistic set-up may allow for the movie version to have more of a plot than the game itself. For the laser cannon and the aliens, keep the movie versions of them the same color and basic shape of the original arcade version. However, there is leeway with making the alien shaped more detailed in the movie. In addition, you could give them more of a personality in the movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1