• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fafner the Beyond Anime's Episodes 4-6 Debut in Theaters in November

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Color2413

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:16 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear that the first three eps did well at the box office. I am definitely looking forward to this being licensed in the US. But at the rate they are going (which appears to be 2 months per episode), it won't be finished until the end of 2020.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Color2413 wrote:
I'm glad to hear that the first three eps did well at the box office. I am definitely looking forward to this being licensed in the US. But at the rate they are going (which appears to be 2 months per episode), it won't be finished until the end of 2020.

Did Exodus ever get licensed?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Zetabag wrote:

CrunchyRoll simulcasted Exodus, but no company ever licensed it for home video. Shame, too, because I loved what I saw, both visually & in terms of story. Fafner really got shafted by the "Eva Clone" moniker, because it really isn't much of one, but people just ignored it back in the day because of that.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote
From the article:
Quote:
Funimation licensed and released the original 2004 anime Fafner and the 2010 film Sōkyū no Fafner: Dead Aggressor: Heaven and Earth.
Fafner was originally released by Geneon on DVD. Later Funi released it on BD. It doesn't look like it was a good seller for them, because it didn't even get a Classic line release after the 1st release. It went pretty quick to their discounted SAVE line. IIRC Funi reps responded to some twitter questions (on ANNcast?) and stated that they had no interest in licensing Exodus, which makes me sad.

Lord Geo wrote:
Zetabag wrote:

CrunchyRoll simulcasted Exodus, but no company ever licensed it for home video. Shame, too, because I loved what I saw, both visually & in terms of story. Fafner really got shafted by the "Eva Clone" moniker, because it really isn't much of one, but people just ignored it back in the day because of that.
I think the accusation of it being an Eva clone when it first aired was understandable and let's face it any robot show with tragic child pilots is going to be compared to Eva especially since this came out in the early 2000s. But the clone moniker wasn't the only thing working against it, after all if you liked Eva maybe you wanted to see more of it even if it wasn't exactly the same? No, there were other things like some people found the first 1/2 dozen or so episodes hard to get into and the large cast cumbersome and not everyone was crazy about the character designs. If I remember right they changed writers in the first season?

IMHO, the series got better and better as it went along. I think if people stuck with it they would see that it became its own thing and shed the whole Eva clone comparison. I hope that the new season when it gets done in theaters in Japan will get streamed by Crunchy or someone. I have the Funi BD release I would love to have someone release Exodus.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:18 am Reply with quote
Fafner is definitely an excellent scifi anime franchise that has been overlooked. To be honest, I overlooked it during the Geneon days because it had the same character designer as Gundam SEED, and I didn't like those kinds of character designs in either show. (I think the confusion over Gundam SEED led to this series getting downplayed even more than the Evangelion comparisons.) Also, I wasn't convinced by the mecha designs or the animation.

But here's the thing, once it gets going, it's a really interesting story with some good characters. I eventually found the unconventional mecha designs interesting, and I overlooked the character designs, which could be hit or miss but ultimately did their job. (With a different character designer, I think this franchise would really make a stronger impression overall.) As for the animation, it actually is also hit or miss until you get into the sequels, and at that point, it rivals stuff like the Rebuild of Evangelion movies. The music is also excellent throughout. It's a franchise that constantly improves its flaws little by little. It's biggest flaw at this point, really, is how it writes itself into corners due to the way its seasons are constructed and spaced out. It feels compelled to put jarring "stopgap endings" rather than letting things play out. Maybe The Beyond will rectify that, but this release schedule gives me doubts.

I would love for Exodus (sequel) and Right of Left (prequel) to get home video releases outside of Japan along with an official release of The Beyond. I didn't like the way Exodus spent its time in its second half, which forced a rushed ending, but even so, it is one of the best anime I've seen of this decade and the pinnacle of the franchise so far.

Fafner is its own thing, but if you want to understand what it is, broadly speaking, basically put Macross, RahXephon, and Evangelion in a blender, with maybe just a touch of Gundam. Its defining attribute, in my opinion, is how it combines traditional scifi military action with the more supernatural/existential underpinnings of things like Evangelion. But it has its own messages and lore.

Can't wait for someone to at least pick up The Beyond for legal streaming outside of Japan. Any idea why they're going the movie theater route with this? Is it more lucrative?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1