• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mix: Meisei Story (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:04 am Reply with quote
You don't even know HOW pointless. The show could have condensed things by removing the gymnastics completely. Sure, it serves for good pervert fodder for the male characters-- gotta show how H-O-T Haruka is - BUT- (tiny spoiler) spoiler[The 'Haruka as a Gymnast' (mirroring Minami) story is eventually completely abandoned when Adachi realized how much she needs to be involved in the baseball club.]

Here's what Haruka thinks of gymnastics.

But a couple of the best story elements were introduced here... although (like most things) they won't be resolved anytime soon. What's up with Akai and his brother (I think the brother is in the next episode)? And WHY did Soichiro give up on pitching? I mean, what's the real reason?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote

Finally getting to play a real game that matters! Yay! Kept me riveted and it's still early innings. Many fun plays, especially the unexpected DP.

"Let's get a seat and watch. We're sick with a cold." Laughing Also, "She's heckling in great detail."

Still some dialog v BGM issues again, though not as bad as a couple of weeks ago. Last week was fine, so it's not like they can't get it right.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh no the second OP isn't even close to the first Sad
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote

Loved the self-shout-out to Adachi. Very Happy Is he known for anything besides manga?
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Loved the self-shout-out to Adachi. Very Happy Is he known for anything besides manga?

Adachi's Wiki page doesn't mention anything other than his manga.

On another forum a friend who has read the manga said that the reference to Adachi in the classroom originally named the editor of Shounen Sunday. It's not too surprising that that reference was rewritten to point to Adachi.

I also laughed out loud when the Tachibana-san told Punch to stop barking because he hadn't been in many episodes recently!

Some people dislike this sort of "breaking the fourth wall," but when done right it can be pretty amusing. I also recall a scene in 2007's Oh! Edo Rocket where a character complained that a newly-introduced character "wasn't even on the website!"

On that same forum many of us have found the repeated ogling of 13-year-old Otomi rather disturbing. Haruka has been less of a target, though that may change if we see more of her performances in her gymnastics outfit. To the best of my recollection, the director in Cross Game didn't feel the same need to sexualize Aoba.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:00 am Reply with quote
Adaichi breaks the 4th wall very often in his manga. I think this is the first anime adaptation that uses it though.

Keep an eye out for his avatar. Short, big glasses, often wearing a "manga-ka cap", carrying a sketch book. At first glance I thought he was in this episode when the crowd characters reacted to someone, but he was too tall and wearing a face mask, I think that was the elder Nishi scouting the game.

yuna49 wrote:

On that same forum many of us have found the repeated ogling of 13-year-old Otomi rather disturbing.

It's an Adaichi thing. Althouth Otomi is in 9th grade, she would be a bit older, probably about 15. Still, yeah, creepy. But when the show started with one of Adaichi's "Ogling a young girl in a swimsuit" scenes I was sure that was going to be a wall break. He often has the girls talking back to him for drawing these scenes whenever he's given color pages to draw.

Quote:
To the best of my recollection, the director in Cross Game didn't feel the same need to sexualize Aoba.

Quite a bit in that one set of end credits... but I believe all of those pictures [sports bra, buttoning up her tight jean shorts] were chapter pictures from the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:16 pm Reply with quote

Ok, seriously, is it just me? I could barely hear the dialog in this episode above the music - which was nice music, but they call it "background music" for a reason that seems to have escaped the mixing engineers. It's become an every-other-episode problem.

But it's really nice to watch a baseball game that's actually animated, I don't care how many frames they reuse. And I really like how they frame the characters in a way that you can practically hear the gears turning in their heads as they think, and give you just enough time to immerse yourself in that without it feeling like they're padding. Body language ftw (especially since it speaks louder than the music)!

Dayum, dude, a poster? That's stalker level stuff there.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I could barely hear the dialog in this episode above the music - which was nice music, but they call it "background music" for a reason that seems to have escaped the mixing engineers. It's become an every-other-episode problem.

I definitely noticed the problem with the audio mix in this episode, too, much more than before.

Quote:

Indeed.

Baseball is such a closely competitive game that single-elimination tournaments are poor way to determine which is the better team. Some mathematicians have argued that you need at least eleven games to determine the stronger team.

Real summer Koshien begins on August 6th and ends on August 21st if there are no rainouts.

http://yakyudb.com/2019/01/31/1-31-2019-101st-summer-koshien-schedule-adjustment-plans/
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:55 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Indeed.

But now you know there was a meaning behind the ogling scene last week. That was the pose she had, as if she knew someone was watching.

And he's quick too. The picture was taken and the poster was made in a single day.

-also, now I know who the big guy in the stands was. The lady in the stands saying "he looks like him" was reading an issue of Touch. I don't remember him this early in the manga though. Maybe he'll just be a background for awhile.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
The lady in the stands saying "he looks like him" was reading an issue of Touch.

That "lady" is a classmate of Sou's. I believe this is her 37th time repeating the tenth grade.

Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:04 pm Reply with quote
^ Wow, talk about failure to launch. Shocked
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:56 pm Reply with quote
While the current episode was quite good and deserves commentary on its own, allow me a manga side-post because it points to good developments.
i've said before that the one thing the manga has been missing is the "twist"- the development that finally takes it in a different and more interesting direction and defines the second half. Someone meets truck-kun, the romantic rivalries converge, the bad guy is ousted and the team is restructured. Finally! in the early 80s chapters, it's finally happening, a development that makes the "Mix" name actually make a bit more sense!
Unfortunately- the anime will probably catch up to this point with half the story left to tell (the last episode adapts chapter 37). But my biggest complaint is finally being addressed. About time.

I won't spoil it, but if you've read one of my past posts worrying about this story, I'm finally getting over it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:42 pm Reply with quote

Wow, that bit they did at the end with the blended images while the old coach tried to remember where he'd seen Tou's pitching before was really cool. Interesting game otherwise too.

Lol, Adachi is now calling in to tv counselors for manga advice? Laughing "I doubt people are placing much hope on you." Ouch. Was the woman sitting next to her the ancient classmate??

I feel like there's a lot more to this joke than I'm getting. Why did ramen guy suddenly kick that customer out, and how does he know the tv woman (or will that be explained soon)?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:32 pm Reply with quote
You're.'re having a little memory lapse. The woman on the show is the Coach's wife / Haruka's mother (she's in the OP). He met her when she beat up the robber that came out of his store (after the robber called her "Obasan") Not that that she introduced herself.

The shop owner just kicked the customer out after looking at the tournament schedule and realizing he was missing the Meisei game.
There may be a a side point about him being tired of ramen, but that will come up soon- without much explanation.

But there is something odd about the shop owner. Like we're supposed to know him from Touch- but I can't place him.

Part of me thinks I should rewatch Touch, but that is a 100 episode commitment. I know some think the movies are just as good and maybe better but I just can't stand a shortened story- even if it is an excellent one.
Maybe I'll read it instead.
But honestly, I also don't rank Touch as highly as other Adaichi stories. I'd kinda rather read Katsu, H2, or even Rough more (not to mention Cross Game- but I've read/watched that a dozen times or so).

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:49 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Was the woman sitting next to her the ancient classmate??

I thought it might be her mother, but it could be the classmate. Hard to tell.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5