• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Akira Film Delayed Indefinitely

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kow626

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The website stated that script concerns caused a delay in the start of filming for Akira.

This is probably the real reason why it got shelved. Overlapping schedules for the director is one thing but if he literally doesn't have a working script then this was bound to happen. Every press release hyped the director. Never a mention of the writer or which existing script they were gonna use. So they lose the tax incentives. So what? Like they're not gonna have those available if and when they're ready to restart production. If they're gonna move forward with this project, they need to FIRST find a solid scriptwriter familiar with the source material and, quite frankly, find a different yet proven director. Waititi is without a doubt a damn good director but I don't think he's the right guy for this movie given his past resume.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
WB put enough money into various pre-productions to guarantee that a version of this will see the light of day at some point but it´s doomed to be bad no matter what. Meaning that this will turn into a 2nd GitS 2017 if someone doesn´t wise up and instead makes a mini-series for HBO+ or something. But they won't of course. Eh. Let´s see how Thor 4 turn out, as No. 3 is the one product by Waititi I wasn´t crazy about.

Who cares, either way, we likely got the new anime our of this mess! Hooray.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh no, stop, no, how will we go on?[/sarcasm]
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Animorphimagi wrote:
I feel like changes to a script for Akira could EASILY lead to a crap movie. If there were "creative differences" I think Taika shouldn't do the project PERIOD!
Remember the time period when studios would trust in the capabilities of the director and give them whatever freedom they wanted with a small or medium budget?

So what you're saying is letting movie studios call the shots on how a production should work is much better than letting the director themselves decide how the the production gets handled?

Animorphimagi wrote:
Who knows what the director was aiming for when casting the actors though...casting is what's killing a lot of movies before they even get released.

Writing is far more of a deciding factor in how a movie performs your movie can cast strictly A-List actors and bomb terribly.

fausti wrote:
Well, we all dodged a bullet. May it stay chained in development hell.

Until we get confirmation that the project is dead entirely. Simply keeping it in development means simply that there's the chance it'll still become a thing.

We got Alita after all.

anddo! wrote:
Hahahahaha who cares?

I do wish when people type this they realize the blatant irony in it.

anddo! wrote:
Otomo is back with a brand new Akira anime.

Which is far more necessary than the live action movie how?

Especially if this is going to be a manga accurate story but without the movie's budget and visual effects.

anddo! wrote:

Hollywood has already done its job provoking the original creator enough to net us a brand new Akira production a la Dragon Ball Evolution > Dragon Ball Z Battle of Gods.

.....How did a live action DragonBall movie made for western audiences from 2009 lead to the production of a new animated DragonBall animated movie in 2013 made primarily for japanese audiences?

Battle Of The Gods would've happened even if Evolution hadn't.
Skydrop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I guess they lost their interest after the new anime adaptation announced :D :D
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:45 pm Reply with quote
MrSatyre wrote:
I had a VERY hard time believing Oshii really had anything positive to say about the live-action GitS, no matter what the press would have us believe, thanks to the ham-fisted-as-usual Hollywood approach to anything the producers don't have an emotional (read: non-monetary) investment in. Any live-action Akira would assuredly suffer a similarly humiliation.

yeah, apparently have never heard the phrase "don't rock the boat." The problem with a lot of these Hollywood adaptations is they genuinely do not understand how many of these stories were born from a lot of Japanese society at the time. GitS was due to Japan rapidly becoming a titan in electronics during the Bubble Era, Akira has a lot of elements of the rise of juvenile delinquency during the same period. It's possible to translate elements over, but the producers/directors/writers never identify those parts and it's why these projects keep collapsing.
bones2039

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Considering most fans didn't care for the Hollywood Ghost in the Shell movie, is the Hollywood Akira film getting delayed really important? I liked the live action Ghost in the Shell movie well enough for what it was but get why others dislike it. Its not great, could have been better but could have been a hell of a lot worse. It exists, it's totally meh and forgettable. If that is Akira's fate I think we are better off without Hollywood's spin on it.

But Thor 4, if it's like the last Thor movie I'm probably going to like it. I'll take a fun Thor movie over a disappointing anime adaptation any day.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:46 pm Reply with quote
They should just bring the original anime movie back to US theaters and give it as wide a release as possible. .
Crispy45

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:11 pm Reply with quote
bones2039 wrote:
Considering most fans didn't care for the Hollywood Ghost in the Shell movie, is the Hollywood Akira film getting delayed really important? I liked the live action Ghost in the Shell movie well enough for what it was but get why others dislike it. Its not great, could have been better but could have been a hell of a lot worse. It exists, it's totally meh and forgettable. If that is Akira's fate I think we are better off without Hollywood's spin on it.

But Thor 4, if it's like the last Thor movie I'm probably going to like it. I'll take a fun Thor movie over a disappointing anime adaptation any day.

These movies aren't 'for the fans', they're for the mainstream. Despite the fans complaining, Ghost in the Shell did better than the original film ever did. Hell, it grossed more than Dragon Ball Super: Broly did and people were bragging how that was a huge success at the American box office.

Although seeing people praise Thor in the same breath as spitting on Akira's grave is a bit ironic considering the Thor movies are basically no different. They have absolutely nothing to do with the original comic outside of the names either. And likewise, it will do well and better than any 'for the fans' Thor movie ever would. The whole point of Hollywood adaptions is to dumb them down and make them palatable for the mainstream audiences.

So no matter how many fans complain about a live-action adaption, even if it's considered a bomb, it'll still have done better than listening to the fans. A sad fact of life.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

These movies aren't 'for the fans', they're for the mainstream. Despite the fans complaining, Ghost in the Shell did better than the original film ever did. Hell, it grossed more than Dragon Ball Super: Broly did and people were bragging how that was a huge success at the American box office.
The live action GITS movie made only $169.8 million worldwide and even in China, which was it's last hope to make anything, the film was considered a box office flop. In comparison, The Boss Baby, which opened the same weekend made $528 million. Although Death Note got a sequel greenlit, it still made only $40 million. Alita was the best case scenario for live action anime remakes, and it still barely broke even at $404 million and it's highly doubtful it will get a sequel made. If these live action anime remakes are made to appeal to casual mainstream audiences, it's not clear they're interested in them. On the other hand, mainstream audiences are definitely interested in superhero films and Disney.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Although seeing people praise Thor in the same breath as spitting on Akira's grave is a bit ironic considering the Thor movies are basically no different. They have absolutely nothing to do with the original comic outside of the names either.

I basically did this, though the quotes I posted were saying that MCU Thor improved once he became less like the comics.

I had a great time with Speed Racer and Alita, so I'm not against Hollywood manga/anime adaptations in general. Unlike those, I can't see Akira working as a fun action movie accessible to general audiences... unless it were purely an adaptation of the poster, say, a Fast & Furious style movie about delinquent bikers. I might actually be more interested in that than an attempt at being faithful to the source. Aim low and hit. Razz
Lann

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:26 am Reply with quote
oh thank god
dcmc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:19 am Reply with quote
Lets Spielberg direct it,very notable big fan of it with the bike cameo in Ready Player One.
DCR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:49 am Reply with quote
I still don't get why this movie had to take place in New Manhattan and not in Neo Tokyo.
They can have movies taking place in other planets, in fictional african countries, in heroic fantasy universes, but a close future Japan is too much for american audiences?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:32 am Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
That said, I wonder how this impacts the Akira anime TV series by Sunrise. Was the decision to make it done under the assumption it'd benefit from the Hollywood movie hype?
They most likely still keep it in the same schedule as like nothing happened. And most likely they announced it not because of the Hollywood movie, which stuck in the production hell for a LONG time, but because of how important for Akira setting was this current 2019 year.

Quote:
Hell, it grossed more than Dragon Ball Super: Broly did and people were bragging how that was a huge success at the American box office.
You compare a bit more than usually limited run with 1260 cinema theaters on the first day of DBZ: Broly to the mainstream cinema run with 3440 cinema theaters of GITS movie in the US though. And hey, Hollywood GITS movie was the box-office bomb which not even beat off its budget, unlike DBZ which made it more than double of it just in the US cinema run.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4