• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Akira Film Delayed Indefinitely

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Elsewhere in the thread we say $400M is a sign that there is no global audience for a film. Now $238M is a huge success and shows there is an audience...
That was in response to an earlier claim about the mainstream audience appeal of live action anime remakes. Crazy Rich Asians is not a live action anime remake. Alita was also made on a much bigger and more expensive budget than Crazy Rich Asians. Also I specifically said Alita was the best case scenario and it barely broke even.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
American audiences are fine with Asian casting.

Jackie Chan and Jet Li were huge. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Memoirs of a Geisha. Crazy Rich Asians.

But there's a big difference here.

All of the above are related in big ways with obvious Asian aesthetics or things people associate with Asians.

So Kung-Fu or exotic historic epics are an easy sell - this is the same case with Disney's Mulan remake. They aren't going to recast Mulan.

Now Science-Fiction on the other hand is a different story.

Have there been any cases of Asian-led sci-fi hits?

Sci-Fi is already a hard sell, much of it usually involves going Rated-R and also heavy special effects budgets, and the audience is more limited. And this genre needs to be separated from science fantasy like Star Wars.

It's a riskier bet, because you even get amazing films like Blade Runner 2049 bombing at the box office even with star power.

There's nothing to really indicate whether Scarlet Jo in GITS helped or didn't help. I believe her casting was irrelevant, and people would have already made up their minds about whether to see the movie or not based on the premise and visuals. Bad reviews didn't help.

Alita performed better, but was still cutting it very close financially, and the studio obviously doesn't see much merit to trying it again.

So sci-fi is a bigger risk. Akira requires a major budget to get right and it's not as simple as going to prosthetics and practical effects and calling it a day. There's an elaborate reason why studios take the FX heavy route despite it costing more that's too much to get into here, but I can see why Akira will be difficult to make and sell and why the studio wants to be too much in control over the creatives and casting decisions.

So naturally unlike all of the above films, there is the obvious lazy reason why the studio wants to save costs and set it in America with a bunch of recognizable stars. I don't like it. I think there are creative compromises that would work, like having an Asian cast for the mains, and having recognizable American actors filling in military and government roles, and accommodating the story so that the post WWIII Japan is under American occupation again. All of which will also fit in thematically. So they could shoot it and frame it like they have with post-WWII movies and give the American actors larger roles and go back and forth. So there are workable compromises, but in the end, if GITS and Blade Runner were difficult to sell, then Akira will be even harder.

Also regardless of casting, GITS and Alita, were simply not great movies imo. There's stuff to like, but each in its own way had difficiencies that really make you shake your head. As a fan of both franchises, the live action takes were simply passable. I believe Alita would've been better if Cameron had done it rather than passing the buck.

Perhaps we'll have better luck with Mobile Suit Gundam from Legendary. That one's more workable considering the diverse cast and settings. And I'd argue that Hollywood could make a pretty good adaptation of Attack on Titan, which I'm sure some studio out there is trying to get their hands on.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:24 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Akira getting an anime TV show while the Hollywood adaptation gets indefinitely delayed is probably the best case scenario. Akira is a gritty violent story that would have been hard to make in modern Hollywood which made a PG-13 remake of Robocop.

Akira's violence is about as necessary to it's story as Death Note needing to be set in Japan.

GATSU wrote:
Wouldn’t be surprised that Warner got scared after seeing the last studio betting on people who worked on Thor 3 getting burned with MIB: Internațional.

MIB International was made on the basis that people wanted a new MIB movie without Will Smith or Tommy Lee Jones it was never destined to be successful.

Crispy45 wrote:
The only reason Johansson got backlash for GITS is because the media hates Johansson

Which media?

Crispy45 wrote:
and will use anything they can to slam her.

Let's be fair though her recent comments which have opened up a can of snark hasn't helped her.

Crispy45 wrote:
No other actor or actress got anywhere near as much beef as she did for playing an anime character.

Something that most mainstream media outlets largely ignored. And was something that was only focused upon by anime & manga fans who were familiar with the original work.

Crispy45 wrote:
In fact, she got more beef for being cast as a trans character than she ever did for Motoko, so even that outrage was half-baked and only thrown in as supplementary bandwagoning.

On the one hand hollywood does should cast actual trans people to play trans characters.....on the other actors like Zachary Quinto still plays straight characters from time to time despite having come out ages ago something that not even Nathan Lane does anymore.

Crispy45 wrote:
There were many anime fans and people defending Johansson's casting because 'The Major is a android, she has no race' and 'It takes place in America now, so it makes sense' and 'She's a big name, it'll help'. The exact same reasoning people gave Death Note, Speed Racer, Edge of Tomorrow, Detective Pikachu, Battle Angel Alita, Oldboy, [and any other adaption I can't remember. Barely any outrage (if any at all

I know for a fact that Death Note was getting shat on for whitewashing as early as 2005 when it was still intended to be a box office release. No one really cared about Speed Racer as it's well known that when the original anime was brought over from Japan they Americanized everything so they weren't going to do a adaptation of Mach Go Go Go. Detective Pikachu had no whitewashing since most of the characters even in the original game apparently aren't asian to begin with. Edge Of Tommorrow had the problem of no one outside of Japan being familiar with the original work so it didn't matter. Alita from what I've heard doesn't even take place in Japan anyway.

Crispy45 wrote:
And maybe try to convince the progressive mouthpieces out there that casting a hispanic woman and a black man as Japanese character sAnd maybe try to convince the progressive mouthpieces out there that casting a hispanic woman and a black man as Japanese characters is just as bad as casting white people for it.. but good luck with that.

Yeah remind me of how often black and hispanic actors play roles of characters that are of another ethnicity as opposed to white actors playing roles of characters that are of other ethnicity a problem that's been around since the earliest days of filmmaking in the U.S. when it wasn't too uncommon to have white people play native Americans and Asians oh the blackface thing when they weren't too interested in using actual black people.

Chrono1000 wrote:

From what I have read that is mostly true for Japan but is mostly false for China. The Chinese government is also trying their best to build up their entertainment industry since they are concerned about western propaganda though to be fair they have good reason to be concerned.

You do know that China has a well known reputation for producing propaganda right?
There's also "no to be fair's" allowed considering what said propaganda involves.

Chrono1000 wrote:

True, and Hollywood only cares about money and political power which is why Asian representation usually has the same level of concern as Native American representation.

Don't know where you've been but Native American Representation in modern films is much better than it was for much of the early 20th century (though as the Lone Ranger showed Hollywood can't help themselves).

Chrono1000 wrote:

Hollywood will happily replace Asian characters in live action adaptations of anime/manga such as Dragonball Evolution because it doesn't matter to them.

No one in DragonBall outside of characters like Roshi & Chaiotzu are asian.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:30 am Reply with quote
I hope this very ambitious Akira movie project is still alive.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:21 pm Reply with quote
dcmc wrote:
Lets Spielberg direct it,very notable big fan of it with the bike cameo in Ready Player One.

Spielberg's been on iffy track record the last decade.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
From what I have read that is mostly true for Japan but is mostly false for China. The Chinese government is also trying their best to build up their entertainment industry since they are concerned about western propaganda though to be fair they have good reason to be concerned.

I can tell you one movie which wasn't made for China: Crazy Rich Asians. That film did not have global appeal at all unless we're defining "global" appeal as strictly American in this case. It did 174 million domestic and only 64 million international. Only 2 million of that was from China. Chinese commentators were calling it a whitewashed Asian American experience, not representative of actual Chinese culture or values. Even Dragonball Evolution did better in China.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:55 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Crazy Rich Asians made $238.5 million in the box office and it was a huge success.

I don't see how an Asian-led film doing decently disproves that Asian roles being recast in films never get as much attention or outrage as others do. If anything it should prove that you don't need to racebend for success and that means people should get even more angry when it happens. Although looking at it's Wikipedia page, it seems like there was some controversy in casting for that as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Rich_Asians_(film)#Casting_criticism

Apparently even Crazy Rich Asians was "whitewashed" to some degree.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Which media?

Any of your garden variety websites. Verge, Salon, Vox, Variety, Polygon, Time, and others love to bash on her.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Let's be fair though her recent comments which have opened up a can of snark hasn't helped her.

In the sense that most actors are expected to roll over and take the abuse in today's culture. Her speaking out and saying she can play 'whatever character she wants' is certainly going to draw some heat onto her, no doubt. But regardless, the articles on her predate any of her recent comments.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Something that most mainstream media outlets largely ignored. And was something that was only focused upon by anime & manga fans who were familiar with the original work.

Doesn't that just prove how little people care about anime adaption casting choices and the limited amount of outrage they can generate?

BadNewsBlues wrote:
On the one hand hollywood does should cast actual trans people to play trans characters.....on the other actors like Zachary Quinto still plays straight characters from time to time despite having come out ages ago something that not even Nathan Lane does anymore.

A topic that deserves it's own thread due to how large and encompassing it is. The idea that only an X actor or an X writer can play or write for an X character is becoming a lot more common in American media. And that makes me wonder when that'll affect anime dubs, which are nothing more than mostly white people playing Japanese characters.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
I know for a fact that Death Note was getting shat on for whitewashing as early as 2005 when it was still intended to be a box office release. No one really cared about Speed Racer as it's well known that when the original anime was brought over from Japan they Americanized everything so they weren't going to do a adaptation of Mach Go Go Go. Detective Pikachu had no whitewashing since most of the characters even in the original game apparently aren't asian to begin with. Edge Of Tommorrow had the problem of no one outside of Japan being familiar with the original work so it didn't matter. Alita from what I've heard doesn't even take place in Japan anyway.

While I'm sure there was some outcry, mainly among us anime fans to which I was one of, it wasn't nearly as much as ScarJo nor in the mainstream. Just Google Nat Wolff Death Note and compare the first page of results to Googling Scarlett Johansson Ghost in the Shell. I only saw one article from a website called Indiewire mentioning Nat Wolff whitewashing a character, the rest were generic PR articles, advertisements, sequel rumors, and interviews. ScarJo's results was hit piece after hit piece after hit piece accusing her of whitewashing a character.

Detective Pikachu technically "blackwashed" the lead role, since the Tim Goodman in the game is not black.

Quote:
Yeah remind me of how often black and hispanic actors play roles of characters that are of another ethnicity as opposed to white actors playing roles of characters that are of other ethnicity a problem that's been around since the earliest days of filmmaking in the U.S. when it wasn't too uncommon to have white people play native Americans and Asians oh the blackface thing when they weren't too interested in using actual black people.

In the early days of filmmaking. But we're talking about 2019. There's no way a studio could ever get away with pulling a Boris Karloff as Dr. Fu Manchu today unless maybe it was satire like Robert Downy Jr in Tropic Thunder but even that got people upset.
anddo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

.....How did a live action DragonBall movie made for western audiences from 2009 lead to the production of a new animated DragonBall animated movie in 2013 made primarily for japanese audiences?

Battle Of The Gods would've happened even if Evolution hadn't.

https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/01/10/dragonball-evolution-akira-toriyama-dragon-ball-super/
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:47 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Doesn't that just prove how little people care about anime adaption casting choices and the limited amount of outrage they can generate?

No I mean as I mentioned most media outlets don't make a big deal about because they don't care about such things nor understand the outrage over them which is fine (for the most part). But when you have an obnoxiously vocal fandom who bristle at anything regarding an adaptation of their favorite work?

It's kind of hard to say little to no one cares.

Crispy45 wrote:
Detective Pikachu technically "blackwashed" the lead role, since the Tim Goodman in the game is not black.

Except Tim's ethnicity is of no importance to his character. And the only people who think blackwashing is a thing are people trying to give some misguided parity to whitewashing which is far more prevalent and problematic issue.

Crispy45 wrote:

In the early days of filmmaking. But we're talking about 2019.

Even then nearly had a white actor playing a japanese character in the recent Hellboy movie so even then Holllywood can't move completely away from it's past.

Crispy45 wrote:
o way a studio could ever get away with pulling a Boris Karloff as Dr. Fu Manchu today unless maybe it was satire like Robert Downy Jr in Tropic Thunder but even that got people upset.

Made even sillier by the fact that some of the characters in the movie call out his character's faux blackness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4