• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: German YouTuber Nino Kerl Makes Cameo in Mashima's Edens Zero Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh, that why that character looks way out of place and why Luc (I mean) Rebecca didn't get the slime fetish. Then again, he did put Sword lady in BDSM type of scene afterwise. (Man, wish Hiro give a rest on those moments)
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh god no, this will really get to his head, he's already thinking he's some kinda big shot.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
Oh god no, this will really get to his head, he's already thinking he's some kinda big shot.

I agree, he gets really high on his horse and with all that sponsoring and advetising for anime and manga publishers I can never take his opinions about new releases seriously.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:42 pm Reply with quote
... I didn't even know the character was being based on a real life person. Anime hyper
Although, I do hope that this isn't a slight spoiler that he may be a villain, given Mashima's suggestion. But will just need to wait and see, I guess!
12Zwolf12

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:02 am Reply with quote
Just to clear this up for non Germans, the guy is not an anituber in the international sense, all he does is put on some top lists based on voting, show some official previews and report on some news.
He never did anything in his life to show his opinion, because he doesn't want to lose the support of anyone that could disagree (hence the top lists based on voting of his fanbase).
There are no reviews or any form of journalism (apart from the odd interview here and there).

He is basically a human in slime form, wiggling in ever direction to touch as many people as possible.
Thaumana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Some terrible impressions here which don't do this actual nice guy justice, in my opinion.

Nino Kerl, commonly known as ninotaku, did actually a lot over the last years to improve the communication and reputation between the German manga/anime industry and fans/consumers. He did a lot of interviews and supported FAQ events on conventions regarding subjects revolving around publisher insights like licensing, localization, subtitle management et al. Nothing one can underplay so easily since the German anime/manga fandom had some pretty strong delusions about the publishing process for a long time which he tries to rectify as best he can. Of course he also cooperates with the publishers when it comes to promotion of different anime and it's not like he doesn't clarify that since he also just wants to pay his bills. Not doing any reviews is eventually the style he has chosen for himself and that's it. For him it's more important to get this media closer to people and to be honest, considering the bad/niche reputation of anime and manga in Germany nowadays in comparison to other countries I'm honestly thankful for his educational work on this field.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Thaumana wrote:
[...] considering the bad/niche reputation of anime and manga in Germany nowadays in comparison to other countries [...]

That's new to me, like completely new. There are so many people who love or at least don't think bad of anime/manga and it has been that way since the 80s.
And he can wipe his ass with his oh so great "educational work".
Thaumana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
Thaumana wrote:
[...] considering the bad/niche reputation of anime and manga in Germany nowadays in comparison to other countries [...]

That's new to me, like completely new. There are so many people who love or at least don't think bad of anime/manga and it has been that way since the 80s.
And he can wipe his ass with his oh so great "educational work".

Phew, quite provocative here aren't we.
I was talking more about the very underrepresented presence of that specific content in the public media (compared to the 90s or early 2000s) and also the treatment of its art and craftsmanship within the art academic field. Also, as someone who took part in administrative activities of several big anime communities who witnessed endless heated-up debates mixed with distorted ideas of price policies and quality standards far from reality on the part of the consumers I know to well how delusional many of them were. Admittedly the PR department of those publishers weren't always good at handling those discussions to clear up any misconceptions about licensing workflows and other related themes back then.

Well. You may think about that person as you like. I just wanted to provide another view, but sorry, I didn't intend to get myself into that kind of vilification talk.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:

Your comment has been ringing in my mind for a while. I'm only replying now because I find it hilarious that his character's role turned out to be a lot more meaty than I think any of us expected; I still can't believe it's actually lasted from the time of this report to the time of this comment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1