• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Carole & Tuesday (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Where’d you see that there’s a recap episode for next week. I didn’t see one mentioned on the official website which usually announces the next episode the day after the current week’s episode.

In the fansubbers' notes for this episode. They said they would not sub 12.5 because it's a recap. They've been remarkably diligent about keeping up with this series, so I take them at their word.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

Oh thank god, Gus turned down the contract. It is actually a miracle they were not forced into it just from entering the competition, but I guess Gus checked that beforehand. Only knowledgeable that the record company would try to rip them off, using some nice language but the devils would be in the details. Apparently real world there has been some buzz about unfavourable contracts with music artists. And kind of proving it, you can pause to read the contract and it says that the company would then own their: name, likeness and handwriting, on top of owning any of the work they create while under the contract. It seriously says that even though they use their names as stage names, the company would own that and they would have to get written consent to use them after the contract, and any "damage" to the company and sales from using their names could leave them financially responsible. Maybe that sounds too technical, but pretty much that contract would be awful for both their freedom and possibly also money.

I was really hoping that Gus would not be incompetent here, like he has been a bit in trying to return to the industry, but he was 100% right with turning that one down. Sure it can seem like an odd choice with then having them going into ghetto to find some crazy guy, but his plan about negotiations later seemed spot on. There is also that old contact he had who got to top of industry that said that the problem was that no one had heard of C&T, so hopefully Gus can be onto something, as well as it being interesting.

Is it heavy handed that it felt like Dann is clearly Carole's father? Even before the question of secret family coming out asking for her came out, it would seem kind of obvious, and the Dann guy seemed to have some reasons behind whatever situation he is in, with Tuesday saying there might be a reason. And, it kind of seems like the reason may be tied to a subject around Tuesday's mother.

Tuesday's mother, Valarie, is totally a female, single mother, Martian Trump, who seems to have built a campaign of getting rid of illegal immigrants. Why relevant is that it may be Carole, and her parents, were illegal immigrants from Earth, and for Carole's own safety they had to leave her in an orphanage. Seems like if Valarie wins, she will want to do things like deport Carole off the planet, of which she has been on since she can remember. This show did not just totally become politically charged quite quickly.

Now waiting for axe Santa.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:37 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 13
Is it heavy handed that it felt like Dann is clearly Carole's father?

No, i think that wasn't all too subtle.

As for declining the contract, i don't know about Mars but on Earth it seems pretty much impossible to become a superstar while remaining independent...why didn't they negotiate with other record companies? Well, i guess the crazy producer is more interesting.

And surprise, i actually kinda liked their song this time!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:25 am Reply with quote
Here is a picture I found someone posted on Reddit of what you can see on the contract:

Quote:
why didn't they negotiate with other record companies?

Kind of looked like Gus thought they might still need to do a bit to negotiate. At least I think that he said something about being able to come back. Regardless, the above contract is awful, and she was already playing the "We don't run a charity" card.

Guess we will have to see if his hunch of crazy axe Santa is worth it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:02 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Now waiting for axe Santa.

Lol. He seems nice.

Plus Dann, Interplanetary Dad of Mystery!

As for the contract, it looks like pretty standard boilerplate to me. I don't think it's saying they can't use their own names at all after the contract expires (I'm not sure that'd be legal even if it does mean that), but that they can't use Carole & Tuesday as a stage name after expiration. That's the only part that even seemed sketchy to me.

Most message boards on corporate-owned sites say (or used to - there are so few left I'm not sure if that's changed or not) that they own anything you post. Ostensibly that's to keep people from suing them if they edit a post or to stay above the fray when collaborating authors (e.g., rp texts and stories) come to blows or something, and I've never heard of any site actually stealing someone's creative works from a forum, or suing an author for republishing their own work elsewhere or in another medium. ANN is one of the few I've seen that explicitly says you own your own posts.

I really liked Angela's song. That was one of C&T's better ones, but it still chickened out on crescendo. :/ Their songs are so frustrating, like feeling a sneeze coming on and then nothing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:09 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
As for the contract, it looks like pretty standard boilerplate to me. I don't think it's saying they can't use their own names at all after the contract expires (I'm not sure that'd be legal even if it does mean that), but that they can't use Carole & Tuesday as a stage name after expiration. That's the only part that even seemed sketchy to me.

I had heard that there was some recent controversy in the music industry around song rights. I think that it was someone like Taylor Swift, who did not entirely play ball with her old production company (Label), and they sold all her old song holding rights to someone she is not very happy with. From what I heard, they dangled that she could have the opportunity to own them, but she did not like the restrictions they gave, and they followed through on selling them to someone else.

A wrong contract for Carole and Tuesday could mean that all the songs they have performed could be under the control of someone else to use however they like. And they would need to get permission to even use those old songs. And I think you are being a little bit generous with the name thing. Indeed they could use their own names, such as their own legal identity, but the stage name of the band of "Carole & Tuesday" could be broken into their respective first names as their individual stage name. Without permission after they are finished, they would have to make sure that what they might use as a stage name for their career is suitably different. Like for example if they split apart, and say Carole decided to do a music career with the guy is totally her father, she could not call themselves "Carole & Dann", or just going by her name with nothing that would feel distinct from what the company would have.

Not saying that I am an expert, but part of my business bachelor included company law, and contract law was a big part of it, and you can learn that a lot of nasty things can be hidden in a contract. You would have to look up individual case law to see how far it could be accepted, but law is usually in favour of the company. Especially if it could say that it was responsible for the success, such as they could by pointing the show as making Carole and Tuesday well known. They are actually super lucky that they were not already forced to sign a contract upon winning. My memory seems to serve me that often you will see someone who was runner up in such competitions to actually seem more successful afterwards compared to who wins, because entering the show had a clause that they would have to sign up under a specific label after winning. While other labels want to snatch up who came in second, and is not under contractual obligation to sign whatever is in front of them, and might find one more willing to give them freedom and get started. The company that ran the show could be more methodical and mostly care about profit ratio.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying they're paranoid to worry about losing their rights, or that the contract doesn't overwhelmingly favor the interests of the corp. Just that such contracts are the norm.

They can also get approval to continue using their stage name if they don't renew and leave under amicable terms, but that's not guaranteed. However, I'm pretty sure their stage name is "Carole & Tuesday." There's nothing specifying they couldn't perform under "Tuesday & Carole." Or use their surnames. Or call the duo "FU Brightest." Very Happy
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:58 am Reply with quote
I watched episode 14 and am I the only one who disappointed that spoiler[ Carole's possiblly father, Dann explain that her mother is deceased. I thought it supposed to be Carole's parents possibly alive but only father is alive. I'm dissapointing that dead mom trope strikes again and nowadays it's getting more repeated on mangas & animes all over and over again. It's a repeated cliche. Why can't dead mom cliche going away. ] Sorry for over being overreacting.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:16 pm Reply with quote
If anything, I am kind of glad that it was not dragged, that it got revealed the very next episode, and there be a reason why her parents never looked for her. Her father likely falsely charged from self defence, and her putting her up for adoption when she was close to death. Dann has otherwise shown a respect for force only for self defence, and did not seem to try to create excuses for himself to be forgiven, like trying to get something from her. I honestly had some tears in my eyes, just like Carole, and it wasn't for some unseen mother having passed away years ago, but he was earnest, and seems genuinely set on doing what is right by her, despite his circumstance.

Tobe seemed an alright dude. And seems that he is also good with Skip, I think has put forward that he was the right hands. Got to say his potty mouth made me laugh a bit.

Also, looks like Tao might be up to something sneaky. He said that it was a simulation, but kind of wondering if he is trying to create a virtual idol out of Angela. Creating a Vocaloid in Angela's image.

Oh, and can't forget the white couple trying to pass themselves off as Carole's parents.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:46 am Reply with quote
I wonder who Angela's stalker is? Did Cybelle shift the object of her obsession to the winner?

Tuesday's mom keeps looking like Trump's mother to me.

Axe Santa has some nice mistletoe in his yard... Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:14 am Reply with quote
Is this on hiatus or something? They've only had 2 episodes since the season break, right? Or was 14 supposed to be the season?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:52 am Reply with quote
Wasn't there the episode with the non binary person just recently? Episode 15?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:24 am Reply with quote
Ah, ok, thanks. No one had mentioned the episode, and as I'm not watching it on Netflix, and my source didn't list it (defaulted to the mini-series instead), I assumed it wasn't out yet.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:49 am Reply with quote
^It's not on Netflix, yet. They don't do the weekly streaming thing (i think the first half will drop at the end of August?)...still, i've seen some pretty amusing "NETFLIX IS RUINING ANIME!111!" comments after the latest episode. Laughing
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:07 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Wasn't there the episode with the non binary person just recently? Episode 15?

Yes, just this past week.

Carole and Tuesday seem remarkably uninformed about artists with supposedly major reputations. Of course, Tuesday seems mired in the 1980s since her favorite artist is Cyndi Lauper. We haven't heard much if anything about how Carole's tastes in music developed.

Brian Wilson wrote the title song for episode 15, "God Only Knows" by The Beach Boys, as he was entering his reclusive phase. Seems appropriate for a show about Desmond.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6