• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fan-Made Firefox Extension Changes JoJo Part 5 Stands to Original Names

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Finally, the name changes has never made any sense.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
While I understand the desire to want to have the original names, technically this should be considered illegal and not be advertised here. It would be the same as promoting fansubs or emulation sites.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Seems utterly pointless to me. Anyone who had issue with the names has been watching it via fansubs for years. Much easier and more practical.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:37 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
What part of "for copyright reasons" doesn't make sense? CR doesn't want to get sued by music labels and artists. If JJBA fans are made about the changes, they should blame Araki for using all those legally-problematic song and band names in the first place.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:00 pm Reply with quote
So JJBA isn't the only anime with copyright problems. Detective Conan with Case Closed instead of original title and even One Piece with Zolo instead of original name Zoro. It's 2019!
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Zalis: Bands and record companies shouldn't be so greedy sometimes-see WKRP-but yeah, gotta avoid confusion.

Erika: Robert Crumb said Zorro is public domain, in one of his strips, so there was no reason to change that. Detective Conan is to avoid confusion with Conan the Barbarian, unfortunately.
geepee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
So JJBA isn't the only anime with copyright problems. Detective Conan with Case Closed instead of original title and even One Piece with Zolo instead of original name Zoro. It's 2019!

and yet,only the manga still has issues with Zoro's name
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
What part of "for copyright reasons" doesn't make sense? CR doesn't want to get sued by music labels and artists.

You mean apart from how a publisher translating the series is viewed as more likely to get sued for it than the author of said series using these names to begin with? I mean, if Araki Hirohiko, Shueisha and David Production (and for that matter Anime News Network, who keep original names in the cast lists in the database) haven't been sued for it, why should Crunchyroll?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
I mean, if Araki Hirohiko, Shueisha and David Production (and for that matter Anime News Network, who keep original names in the cast lists in the database) haven't been sued for it, why should Crunchyroll?

Presumably the original author and associates can get away with it because they're not in the US. ANN is just reporting on it, which isn't really the same thing as using those names in a for-profit streaming service. Even then, I feel like it's unlikely that there'd be any real consequences if Crunchyroll didn't change the names, but they're being overly cautious because record-label companies around here have been ridiculously aggressive about defending copyrights in the past (like those infamous cases of suing individuals for nonsensical amounts of money because they ripped a few CDs or whatever).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
What part of "for copyright reasons" doesn't make sense? CR doesn't want to get sued by music labels and artists. If JJBA fans are made about the changes, they should blame Araki for using all those legally-problematic song and band names in the first place.
In the audio they clearly say the artists/songs names, in English, so I fail to see how translating it properly is going to do any harm. It seems like they are just being over protective.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Actual songs are subject to copyright, but since when are the song titles, or even more absurdly, the band names themselves? It makes even less sense when even song names that are common words, like "Echoes" in part 4, are subject to change.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I believe this is a case of being over-cautious on Crunchy's part.

There is likely no problem when using recognized names/titles as nicknames for something completely unrelated within a work of fiction. It would only be an issue if some actual trademark or logo or music or copyright album art etc. was itself being used without permission.

Like if a character in a work of fiction owned a boat, or restaurant and named it after a famous song title or album or band, and it made sense within the context of the story, I doubt there'd be any issue. But if they used the band's actual logo, then this would be a problem.

But even if Crunchy is in the right, a silly music label could still instigate a lawsuit. And even if Crunchy wins it still costs Crunchy legal fees and time during litigation which they'd be better off without.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

The part where they change stuff as inocuous as "Echoes" into "Reverb".

I can understand some of the more popular and obvious ones like Aerosmith, Red Hot Chilli Pepper or Metallica since those might be trademarked (copyright doesn't cover the usage of names and words, trademarks do) and there's a slim chance that they might get sued over it. But many many others are changed solely for the sake of some twisted sense of consistency.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
In the audio they clearly say the artists/songs names, in English,

Whammu doesn't sound exactly like Wham

MarshalBanana wrote:
so I fail to see how translating it properly is going to do any harm. It seems like they are just being over protective.

Better to be safe than to open up a can of worms simply to please a small group of people who think that those names are necessary have to full experience of watching or reading JoJo.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
IIRc it's all the fault of prince who complained/attempted to sue because of purple rain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3