• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 34th Victim of Kyoto Animation Fire Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Let's keep things respectful and tactful. Ranting and raving helps nothing and is not what is needed right now.
Evaunit02berserk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
motormind wrote:
The tragic loss of life and a big part of anime history is just heartbreaking. I have been in Japan several times visiting many anime locations (many of which are from KyoAni shows), and I also went to see the headquarters and the KyoAni shop a few times, and I loved it how nice and friendly they were.

This truly makes me sad and angry. Sure, I am mad at the guy who set the place on fire, but I am also angry at KyoAni who let their people work in such a death trap. I know the building passed the official fire inspections, but KyoAni should have gone the extra mile to invest in a proper sprinkler installation, fire doors and indoor fire hydrants (or move to another site) in order to protect the people and the work that are the core of their business!

Really, this only makes sense in a country where earthquakes, floods and typhoons are the norm. All it takes is an electrical short fire to cause massive damage and loss of life. It is also a good idea spread out your assets over more locations if ever possible, so that the loss of one building doesn't completely ruin you.

And how the heck could that guy enter the building in the first place, especially with those canisters of petrol? Was security sleeping? When I was in Japan, merely loitering around a building would already cause me to draw the attention of the guards there. I know they had visitors, but I have no idea why they thought it would be a good idea to leave the doors open, especially after all the death threats they had already gotten.

But the worst part of this is that people rushed up those stairs to get to the roof, only to find that the door closed. What the hell, KyoAni? This is really woeful negligence for a company that supposedly cares so much for the people who work for them.

I am truly devastated by this, and angry at all those involved. Yes, that arsonist is a piece of shit, but I blame the Hattas as well. Disaster can strike at any moment, be it in the form of an earthquake, a transformer fire, or a madman arsonist, so you have to make sure your employees have at least a passing chance of getting out of the building if it happens.

I'm guessing the same way a guy chains shut all the fire exits in a theater and does the same thing.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:04 am Reply with quote
motormind wrote:
I know the building passed the official fire inspections, but KyoAni should have gone the extra mile to invest in a proper sprinkler installation, fire doors and indoor fire hydrants (or move to another site) in order to protect the people and the work that are the core of their business!

It was a gasoline fire. Sprinklers wouldn't have done anything if they were water sprinklers.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:23 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Who was his name though?

It was [name of suspect]

That's the name of the suspect. They were asking the victim's name, which we don't know yet.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
motormind wrote:
I know the building passed the official fire inspections, but KyoAni should have gone the extra mile to invest in a proper sprinkler installation, fire doors and indoor fire hydrants (or move to another site) in order to protect the people and the work that are the core of their business!

It was a gasoline fire. Sprinklers wouldn't have done anything if they were water sprinklers.

Won't help with the gasoline fire, but would still help on the subsequent paper and wood fires.

Also, fire escape egress stairs if it's required in their building code.

The roof door locked from the inside (unlocked from the outside), they probably expected an executive with the key would come and open the door. (Probably better with an electronic lock with a handful of people who knew the code.)

If the suspect knew about the disabled security or just coincidence
grobda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Yasuhiro Takemoto, one of key animators, director and Kyoto Animation's identity, has passed away at the age of 47, according to Hisayuki Okawa who is Yasuhito's high school classmate. Yasuhiro had been missing for 3 days before confirmed dead.

https://matomedane.jp/page/33961

19 people are still listed as missing.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:51 am Reply with quote
grobda wrote:

That's info provided by a former employee. There's no official confirmation yet.
hergen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:19 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
The roof door locked from the inside (unlocked from the outside), they probably expected an executive with the key would come and open the door.

According to what NHK World reports today, the door was *NOT* locked, but a large group of victims did suffocate on the stairs before even reaching the door.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
For those that are familiar with Japanese laws, how might this act not necessarily be seen at as a terrorist act? While I am no expert in U.S. criminal laws, I would argue had this happened on American soil it would certain be something that is or almost a terrorist act.
grobda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
grobda wrote:

That's info provided by a former employee. There's no official confirmation yet.

https://r.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO47859060W9A720C1AC8000?s=3

we do now.

Now, Yasuhiro's father, senior Takemoto, will have to explain to his grandson why his daddy can never come back home.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:55 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2