• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
The alliances and conflicts between the familias provided a lot of intrigue in the first season and that looks to be even more true for the season season. It will be interesting to find out what is really going on with the Soma familia and how Bell is supposed to win against the Appollo familia which looks like it is made up of at least a hundred people. While I enjoy the action and adventure I have to say it is the little moments between the characters that really make the world feel alive. The Miach familia in particular deserve an award for just being wonderful people. The second episode did make me feel bad for Hestia who gave an obvious confession to Bell but got clumsily rejected and I didn't expect to see another Re:Zero situation.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
Cam0 wrote:
Did Miach and his animal-eared archer girlfriend appear in the first season? The way they were introduced was like we were supposed to be familiar with them already, but I have no recollection of them.

Miach was present in the first season, can't say the same about the archer

I only know about her from the mobile game (which has a great series prequel story going on now), so unless I'm forgetting her appearance in Sword Oratoria (which I've only seen once), I'd say, no, she hasn't appeared before this season.

Naaza has a cameo in episode ten of the anime's first season - But in the LN's 2nd volume's intermission she introduced and plays a small part in volume 4. Also included with the 4th vol is the short story,QuestxQuest,which deals with her & Miach backstory.
(and she's a healer more than an archer).
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Honestly the Guild not jumping over the chance to fine someone who's absolutely willing to pay for it and knows full well they'll be fined is the most unbelievable thing about this whole scenario. Laughing
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:39 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Honestly the Guild not jumping over the chance to fine someone who's absolutely willing to pay for it and knows full well they'll be fined is the most unbelievable thing about this whole scenario. Laughing

...just wait for these two arcs to play out- spoiler[two episodes in and folks want two volumes worth of story resolved.Guild fines and punishments are handed out,families are broken up.Meanwhile other families seen their numbers grow and their fortunes rise-Hell,just watch the opener....]

nex time use tags please
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Why bother, when we have you to tell us how everything is going to go?
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Did Miach and his animal-eared archer girlfriend appear in the first season? The way they were introduced was like we were supposed to be familiar with them already, but I have no recollection of them.

I could have sworn Nazha did appear somewhere in the first season, but couldn't find where exactly. My quest led me to rewatch a good chunk of it for the last 4 hours haha, since a lot of it is just fun. But yeah, she does appear in episode 10 when the 3 gods gather to form a party to rescue Bell's party. No lines, though. She has a couple stills in the epilogue montage too, but I don't think she's ever named, so definitely not great for anime-only fans who don't know who she is already.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:44 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
...just wait for these two arcs to play out- spoiler[two episodes in and folks want two volumes worth of story resolved.Guild fines and punishments are handed out,families are broken up.Meanwhile other families seen their numbers grow and their fortunes rise-Hell,just watch the opener....]

I've read the novels!
It's just funny to me how the Guild's reaction to someone saying "Well give them a fine then!" gets met with "Why? They'd just pay it" like that's not one of the purposes of a fine.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:45 am Reply with quote
So far so good Id say. One thing I wish they didn't skip back in ep 1 was when Hermes and Bell were sitting at the balcony and Hermes mentions spoiler[the Zeus and Hera familias as well as the One Eyed Black Dragon] though I understand it would take up more time than the episode would allow if that happened.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:38 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
So far so good Id say. One thing I wish they didn't skip back in ep 1 was when Hermes and Bell were sitting at the balcony and Hermes mentions spoiler[the Zeus and Hera familias as well as the One Eyed Black Dragon] though I understand it would take up more time than the episode would allow if that happened.

I could easily see that conversation being shunted off to a later time, when it becomes more relevant. Those details aren't going to come up again for a while - maybe not at all this season, depending on what is or isn't adapted out of novel 8.

MiloTheFirst: Without going into your concerns point-for-point, keep in mind that Orario is a very loosely-organized city which depends much more on an uneasy power balance than formal rules. Not having a centralized powerful militia/police force is a practical matter because of the egos of all of the gods involved and because the constabulary would have to mostly be made of leveled-up adventurers to accomplish anything - and who that's Level 2 or higher would want to do that? (There are also other considerations involved related to the position of Uranos, but that hasn't been brought up in animated content yet so I won't get into that here.) Individual familias can serve as the equivalent of constabulary on contract or ad hoc bases - and we may see some of that in this season's second arc - or take it upon themselves to enforce justice, which can cause problems. And yes, this situation can be as troublesome as it sounds; the consequence of what happens when familias team up to threaten the public peace, and how problematic that can be, is somewhat dealt with in Sword Oratoria and vaguely alluded to by Ryu in season 1.

The Guild isn't powerless, however. As you should see before this season is over, they have ways to exert influence. The problem in this case - as others have alluded to - is that their methods can't really stop what Apollo is doing.

Quote:
the first relevant scene in this episode revolves around a random douche mocking hestia, calling her an unaccomplished goddess that has nothing going for her except her big tits, so we must be on Bell's side, right?

Might have looked like a random douche at first, but as the rest of that episode shows, he wasn't some random guy and he definitely had ulterior motive.

Now, I will agree that Apollo being able to force Hestia into such a wholly disadvantageous position without someone objecting is raw (I didn't like that part when I first read the novels), but remember, the rest of the gods' #1 priority is getting their jollies and watching something like this fits the bill. (Notice how Hestia wasn't surprised by all the onlookers popping up when she agreed to the challenge.) And as Rebecca pointed out, Apollo is absolutely acting in classical character, even if the adaptation is pushing his ugly side a little too hard.

Anyway, on an unrelated note, based on how much the first two episodes have covered, I'm going to predict that this first arc - and thus the adaptation of novel 6 - is going to take four episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Re: Nazha, I guess I stand corrected on that.

Key wrote:
Anyway, on an unrelated note, based on how much the first two episodes have covered, I'm going to predict that this first arc - and thus the adaptation of novel 6 - is going to take four episodes.

Four total or four more?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Key wrote:

Four total or four more?

Four total. These first two episodes chewed up the first 135 pages (with a few minor details here and there being skipped) and that's slightly more than half the novel. Based on how the rest of this storyline goes and pacing decisions made in the past for this franchise, I feel pretty confident about how these next two episodes will break down. [very slight novel spoiler] spoiler[I'm expecting episode 3 to cover the Denatus, Bell's training, and probably the Sohma Familia stuff and then episode 4 to be the War Game.]

While it's possible that they could stretch this to five episodes, I think they would be stretching to pull that off and this franchise is more known for the opposite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:15 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

MiloTheFirst: Without going into your concerns point-for-point, (...), is somewhat dealt with in Sword Oratoria and vaguely alluded to by Ryu in season 1.

Thanks for taking the time to address my concerns in such detail, it certainly helps me look at the story a bit more kindly but as I said, the problem isn't that I can't buy into this scenario but that the Anime should have done a better job at selling it to us. I didn't miss Ryu's narration of her past tragedy in the first season but that was a story in which she went full vengeful vigilante and settle a personal score, but from there to the show expecting us to just understand that this town has no warranties for its citizens is kind of a stretch. to be fair, I haven't watched Sword Oratoria in case that issue got addressed there, in my book spin offs shouldn't count otherwise they should be named as the actual second season, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
(...)
Might have looked like a random douche at first, but as the rest of that episode shows, he wasn't some random guy and he definitely had ulterior motive.

Oh, I totally got that they were fully intending to set Bell up on behalf of Apollo's scheme, but that wasn't my point there, I was just pointing out that the show itself was not treating hestia with any more respect than that thug did

Quote:
And as Rebecca pointed out, Apollo is absolutely acting in classical character, even if the adaptation is pushing his ugly side a little too hard.

Greek gods being whimsical and douchey is kind of a classic, I actually sort of enjoy it in its homage value. as you pointed out, the problem is with the anime trying its hardest to make us feel disgusted with this guy, like, "I get it Danmachi, why are you so afraid of me forgetting the guy is awful, I got it after the first dozen degenerate smug you drew on his face, I am not an idiot"
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:39 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
GhostD wrote:

I could easily see that conversation being shunted off to a later time, when it becomes more relevant. Those details aren't going to come up again for a while - maybe not at all this season, depending on what is or isn't adapted out of novel 8.

Fair enough. Do you guys have info on the official episode count of this season? 1 episode can make a fair amount of difference in what may or may not be adapted out of vol 8.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Four total. These first two episodes chewed up the first 135 pages (with a few minor details here and there being skipped) and that's slightly more than half the novel. Based on how the rest of this storyline goes and pacing decisions made in the past for this franchise, I feel pretty confident about how these next two episodes will break down. [very slight novel spoiler] spoiler[I'm expecting episode 3 to cover the Denatus, Bell's training, and probably the Sohma Familia stuff and then episode 4 to be the War Game.]

While it's possible that they could stretch this to five episodes, I think they would be stretching to pull that off and this franchise is more known for the opposite.

Ah, that's good. Considering the intro and some bits on this arc I've been spoiled on, I'm ready to move into a more unknown arc (not that I'm not enjoying it)
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote
So far the adaptation has been spot on and ep 4 will top it all off. They adapted the Soma Familia sub plot right so Im hoping they do the same for the actual War Game
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15