• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Will Happen To Kyoto Animation?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:33 pm Reply with quote
.........?

Last edited by CANimeFan88 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:45 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
I just thought of something. Would anyone really care if it was a hentai anime studio that was burned? (I for one might feel bad about it but I guess it depends if I even like the hentai they would make).

If you actually place the value of human life in direct relation to the content they create, I suspect you have far more important questions you ought to be asking yourself. The Kyoani tragedy & the future of the studio is intrinsically tied to personal loss & the the importance of that should remain true regardless of concepts like reputation. Things like wider exposure or critical acclaim shouldn't be prerequisites to basic human empathy.
Wonderllama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:57 pm Reply with quote
They wouldn't have gotten $2+ million dollars if it was a smaller studio. That's definitely true.

I fear KyoAni will be out of commission for at least a year, most probably two. I wonder how the surviving employees will manage. People able to work will need income. What will they do while KyoAni rebuilds? Are they willing to stay, or find employment elsewhere?

People unable to work have it worst of all. Talented artists may have lost their ability to draw. Some may not want to work in anime again. Entire families may have lost their main financial provider. I feel bad for those people the most. I hope money from donations make their way to them more than the company. The company can get back on their feet. A lot of those people can't.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Something that has annoyed me in all this. Everyone, even Justin, keeps referring to Kyoto Animation in the past tense. Not intentionally, I know. But I would like not to think of them that way, at least for now.

Rather I want to think of them as resilient, with the potential to renew themselves.

Mark Gosdin
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There may be some legal issues involved in getting the giant $2 Million GoFundMe pile to Japan, as there are governmental controls over giant transfers of currency for non-commercial purposes -- at the very least, a substantial gift tax will apply.

Ouch. Sad
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Don't want to be that guy, but it should be 'flair' not 'flare' in the second paragraph. If only for the circumstances this tragedy occurred. Otherwise, an eloquent and informative column, as per usual.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Wonderllama wrote:
They wouldn't have gotten $2+ million dollars if it was a smaller studio. That's definitely true.

Absolutely, but it's important to differentiate between critical value as a company & personal value as human beings. The international acclaim & respect Kyoani has garnered over the years has put the story more directly in the fandom's sphere of influence, & assuming they've watched at any of their productions, helped create a connection to the studio via their memories of their output. That should just help ease someone to empathy rather be an exclusive barrier to it. Seeing some of the more horrendous "well they don't make shows I personally like, so who cares?" takes from certain corners just bleakly highlights how people mask cruel indifference behind weird media tribalism.

Whether or not a smaller or less regarded studio drew the same amount of wider media/fandom attention, the horrific personal cost of the situation shouldn't be treated any differently by those aware of it. It's vital to recognize that distinction.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
For anyone going to Otakon, Eleven Arts will also be taking paper cranes at their booth, if you didn't want to ship them.
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:36 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
I just thought of something. Would anyone really care if it was a hentai anime studio that was burned? (I for one might feel bad about it but I guess it depends if I even like the hentai they would make).

In any case, I really hope they don't close KyoAni altogether. I was really hoping they would use our money to build a new studio elsewhere. Or, at the very least, the ones who survived the fire willing to continue working in animation could form their own studios (kinda like how Studio Trigger spun-off from Studio Gainax...... but, that's assuming they are not too traumatized too ever work in animation again).

I mean, they still want to continue in anime for the sake of letting the world see just how much potential they left in them, then they should at least try.

Of course they would. It’s human life. The hell kinda question is that!?
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
KyoAni has announced that they do not plan on releasing the names of victims until at least after the investigation is complete, and asked the media to respect their privacy and not to identify victims, families and other employees.

But it's OK to revealing the identity of arsonist in public (except on ANN)
Quote:
Given that the Japanese tradition is to weather tragedies quietly with family and close friends, there's a strong possibility that we will never get a full list of names.

Nothing to do with this but if this happen in America, their full names would be revealed in public, which is common in U.S. media. I guess the KyoAni victims names will be nameless for good.

Last edited by ErikaD.D on Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:04 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Quote:
KyoAni has announced that they do not plan on releasing the names of victims until at least after the investigation is complete, and asked the media to respect their privacy and not to identify victims, families and other employees.

But KyoAni apparently doesn't have a problem with the name of arsonist which media revealing his identity in public.

why would they? they disavow any affiliation with the suspect.so, why would they demand for respect to his privacy or do anything else on his behalf?

ErikaD.D wrote:
Quote:
Given that the Japanese tradition is to weather tragedies quietly with family and close friends, there's a strong possibility that we will never get a full list of names.

If this happen in America their names(first and last name) would be revealed in public, which is common in U.S. media. I guess the KyoAni victims names will be nameless for good.

I don't get what your point is, are you saying that all of a sudden they should have American values? that they should believe glory is more valuable than their own privacy?
Luigithemetal64

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:30 pm Reply with quote
If Kyoto Animation is worried that the money we're donating to them is seen as tipping (which is never a thing in Japan), they can use it to help its survivors, get more people, rebuild the place with fire escapes, sprinklers, and master vaults, and give us anime in return. It's nice that they're planning a memorial, but how much would that cost including demolishing the first building? I give my heart to Kyoto Animation and to other people in the anime industry as I see foreign mediums as an art form and/or entertainment.

Last edited by Luigithemetal64 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:21 am; edited 2 times in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
So it will be a very long time before they will be back to business, assuming that they can bounce back. I assume the money being donated is going towards medical bills and to cover wages for the upcoming months, not to KyoAni as a business.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:34 pm Reply with quote
First I wanted to mention that using the bank info KyoAni has provided is the best way to donate. Along with the "gift tax issue", Gofundme themselves take 2.9%+$0.30 PER DONATION. Out of 2 million dollars, that's around $70,000 going to Gofundme. So it's great that the Gofundme exists, but moving forward I think the Direct Deposit should be used instead.

Shochiku Inc. stated last week that there was no (current) plans to change the release dates for either of Violet Evergarden movie or the Free 2020 movie. No idea how much they actually know but I feel like they wouldn't say that if they didn't know anything. The yahoo article that reported it is gone now though...

Lastly, a survivor spoke out recently and I broke down after reading that he said he wanted to continue high-quality works again in honor of those who lost their lives. I believe that KyoAni is a company filled with strong people. They will come back some day.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
There's alot of missinformation and half-guesses going on about the Violet Evergarden movie actually. On one hand you have the president's comments about the material loss that seems to indicate all or alot of the work was lost. On the other hand you have screen grabs from japanese television that seem to indicate the movie release window of January 2020 is still standing. This has led to quite a bit of speculation.

Of course, this is likely the least important part of this whole tragedy, but if we're talking about what will after to KyoAni in the aftermath of this tragedy, I cant help but wish things were more clear so people could adjust their expectations accordingly. I also wonder if things are somewhat more clear in Japan, since the fans don't need to rely on dubious translations to get information.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3