• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Pitch Monster, Hunter X Hunter at TV Conference

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Yes, i'd love to see Monster. I've heard good things about it. I hope it can getsome tv action.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I hope Monster and/or Honey and Clover gets picked up...
Lucca_Ashtear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Monster, really? That's very exciting, although I wonder which network they're aiming at. I'm surprised Viz hasn't announced their obtainment of this series (at least I'm not aware of them doing so). If it's anywhere as good as the manga, than this is a must-own for me.

Last edited by Lucca_Ashtear on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkcancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been waiting for HxH to make it over here or atleast some news on it. I half expected Monster to make it over here eventually anyways.
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
*crosses fingers*

Oh I hope I hope I hope they pick up Monster!! That one really deserves to see the light of day here.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Monster would be a great change of pace for mature audiences or anyone looking for gritty, climactic crime/mystery dramas. Though to be honest, I'm not very big on what networks really carry anime these days aside from G4, IFC, and CN's [adult swim]. I would guess [as] is probably the most popular, but I'm not sure if Monster would really fit with their demographic. It's not exactly a title where every episode leaves you hanging. Actually, they do for me, but Monster draws the overall plot out a lot longer than some may have the patience for. Then again, if they can show something like Paranoia Agent, then I guess Monster isn't completely out of the realm of possibility.

Hunter X Hunter, on the other hand, I think has some potential with it being a shounen series. As long as they can get some clean recordings of the video and a really good (not decent, not good, but really good) dub, which I feel is the most important thing for an English-adapted shounen series, then I think it will carry its own weight. The Hunter Exams, the tournament, and he Spider arcs are a lot of fun to watch, and I think the shounen fans will enjoy it. Oh, and best of all, it's under 100 episodes (OVAs included).
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so they have the DVD rights? So does that mean they have technically licensed Monster already? I sure do hope so.

I'd love for Monster to get exposure on TV too. That would be beyond awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MetatronM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Isn't this really really old news? Viz's NATPE lineup has been revealed for a long time now.

There's a news item about it over at AnimeOnDVD.com that is dated December 12, 2007.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I heard about this beforehand (yeah it's dated news) and I'm extremely happy to hear they're giving Monster a shot. I really hope somebody's interested and if not I hope it at least gets a DVD release here. It's seriously the best anime I've ever had the privilege of seeing in my lifetime. I can understand why it took so long as it's not for everybody but for those looking for a serious compelling mystery storyline in an anime I highly recomend it.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
So does this mean Viz Media has licensed both titles?
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
It was only a matter of time before these two very solid series would get picked up by an american anime publishing company. Both of these series could fit into Adult Swim with their mature content (but I don't know if CN would take a risk on a old series like HxH).

HxH has been one of my all time favorite series (the series really surprised me with how addictive it was).

I hope Viz goes for box sets with these series (as they've been doing with Prince of Tennis and Buso Renkin). I've yet to see a high quality sub of the HxH anime, and I will most certainly purchase the DVDs when and if they come out.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
So does this mean Viz Media has licensed both titles?

Not necessarily, at least not in the "they're coming out in this country and being released by Viz" sense.

What it DOES mean is that, at the very least, they have been authorized to shop the shows to potential American buyers. That could be the result of an already finalized license contract (in which case, yes, they are licensed), OR it could be that acquiring American television distribution is a precondition to a license deal that is still pending.

So the short answer is "probably, but maybe not."
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see Monster on tv. Is the film still green lighted? That might give it a bit of umff to get accepted.

I liked HxH, but I think the animation is just too old looking for todays standards.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping that Monster gets a proper dubbing and is available on [Adult Swim] or cable TV. I'm just happy that Viz is taking a chance on getting Monster on American TV. I'm sure it'll get people's interest and if added some German accents, but not too heavy, then it'll hook people up. I know a few adults who do not watch anime regularly appreciate and love watching Monster. Only compliant about it is that it would be better in English or German. Japanese voice imitation to German isn't that awesome, but gets the job done.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
billyarnie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
This looks like Viz is doing its own upfronts to help pitch shows to networks. Which is different, as networks like Cartoon Network, [adult swim], & IFC usually announce shows they've got broadcast rights to. I haven't seen any of these, just heard buzz on message boards; this geezer doesn't do fansubs. Not sure about Hunter x Hunter, but Monster sounds like a fit for [adult swim]. There's talk that Buso Renkin is headed to [as], but only from 1 voice actress & no ANN confirmation. If [adult swim] doesn't get Monster, it will probably go to IFC or another network.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3