• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files: Rail Zeppelin Grace note

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Also, how does Apocrypha fit into this show? Because the computer guy definitely looks like wheelchair user girl’s younger brother. And in general, what year isn’t it supposed to be?

That's Caules, indeed, the master of Berserker of Black. Thing is, this is not the same continuity as Apocrypha since this is set in the Zero/FSN continuity. In Apocrypha, spoiler[the Einzberns summoned a Ruler instead of an Avenger in the third war and that guy ended up stealing the great grail from them. Because of this, the holy Grail war system became commonplace but the fourth and fifth Fuyuki Grail Wars never happened.]

Basically, there's a Zero/FSN/FHA (sorta) timeline, an Extra timeline(s), Apocrypha timeline, FSF timeline, FGO timeline and a bunch of others. This anime takes place in the first one of those.

As for the year, this is set a few months before FSN, so it's early 2000, most likely 2003 or 2004. I don't recall the exact year on top of my head but it's something around this.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:11 am Reply with quote
Jam-Kiske wrote:
Also for the savvy with Japanese FGO spoiler[ young Gordes was cute to see! If you can pause to read the note around that part it shows his post which is in line with the role he ends up taking in Chaldea.]
Ah thats who that was, I thought he was the original master of black saber from Apocrypha but that wouldn't explain why he's so young here.

Agent355 wrote:
Also, how does Apocrypha fit into this show? Because the computer guy definitely looks like wheelchair user girl’s younger brother. And in general, what year isn’t it supposed to be?

Ahhh that's why he looked familiar but I couldn't place it. That also explains why his posters looked suspiciously like Fran(kenstein), another easter egg I suppose.

I am curious though if this takes place in the same continuity of fate/stay I wonder what Grey's story is, she seems pretty strong, too strong for a regular human. Wonder if she's a pseudo servant or a failed product of trying to channel a saberface. Also I love ADD's attitude, I want more scenes of him mouthing off and Grey shutting him up.
DurangaVoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:59 am Reply with quote
[quote="ThatMoonGuy"]
Agent355 wrote:

Basically, there's a Zero/FSN/FHA (sorta) timeline, an Extra timeline(s), Apocrypha timeline, FSF timeline, FGO timeline and a bunch of others. This anime takes place in the first one of those.

F/SF is set in the same-y timeline in which events of Zero, Lord El-Melloi II Case Files and Stay Night (alternative reality route) happened.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:39 am Reply with quote
[quote="DurangaVoe"]
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

F/SF is set in the same-y timeline in which events of Zero, Lord El-Melloi II Case Files and Stay Night (alternative reality route) happened.

Hmm, I gues it deviates from them at some point after the Fifth War since the events in it contradict certain canon events that happen after that war. Then again, it does open with Zelretch, so...
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:51 am Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
DurangaVoe wrote:
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Hmm, I gues it deviates from them at some point after the Fifth War since the events in it contradict certain canon events that happen after that war. Then again, it does open with Zelretch, so...

FSF happened in different city (snowfield) with different Holy Grail. So whatever happened with Fuyuki's grail it didn't affect Snowfield's grail.
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:49 am Reply with quote
The Fran Easter egg was cute as all get-out and done very well but I actually found the spoiler[Charles Babbage] Easter egg more entertaining because of how completely unexpected it was.

Also I laughed at how Caules didn't think to minimize the adult content he was viewing before everyone started gathering in his room.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:56 am Reply with quote
[quote="ThatMoonGuy"]
DurangaVoe wrote:
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

F/SF starts up as a result of spoiler[Rin and Resis and Waver unable to destroy the grail war system, it starts the Strange and Fake grail war.]
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Kilgamayan wrote:
The Fran Easter egg was cute as all get-out and done very well but I actually found the spoiler[Charles Babbage] Easter egg more entertaining because of how completely unexpected it was.

Also I laughed at how Caules didn't think to minimize the adult content he was viewing before everyone started gathering in his room.

Didn't the mobs he introduced the internet to bring those up?
natchu96

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:50 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
So far I’d categorize this show as “mildly interesting.” The characters are the main draw—I saw F/Z and like Waver (who doesn’t?), and the kids seem cute, if a bit bland, but their backstories are making me curious. Flat said they’d all be on the margins of society if not for Waver, and that seems true, but *why*? What’s Flat’s deal? Svin is obviously a werewolf—born or bitten? Is the reason Waver told him to stay away from Gray the same reason he has a crush on her? Maybe werewolves are really tempted by...saberfaces? I don’t know, but I want to find out!

Svin is probably a lot of things but as far as I know a werewolf is not one of them.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:54 pm Reply with quote
*Shrugs* Svin looks like some kind of man/wolf hybrid to me. He’s definitely not completely human. Looking forward to finding out what he is, exactly!
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:43 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Kilgamayan wrote:

Didn't the mobs he introduced the internet to bring those up?

It'd been a bit of time since I watched the episode when I posted that, so it's entirely possible you're right. Still, it was a cute touch.
natchu96

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
*Shrugs* Svin looks like some kind of man/wolf hybrid to me. He’s definitely not completely human. Looking forward to finding out what he is, exactly!

All of this is honestly doable with normal magecraft though...
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:03 pm Reply with quote
^I’m speculating on Svin based on: his super sense of smell; his beast-like transformation; Flat’s comment about all Waver’s apprentice students being marginalized in their society; and, maybe, his attraction to Gray and Waver telling him not to get to close to her. Am I completely wrong in my speculation that he might be part-human, part-supernatural?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:24 am Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
As for Gray's face, I guess it isn't too obvious because of the different artstyle but she's meant to be a Saberface.

I'm only semi-invested in the Fate franchise (loved Zero, was ok with SN and UBW) so, being accustomed to same-face in a lot of anime, it wasn't her face that tipped me off. It was when she dropped her hood during her fight with the dead mage, and lo and behold she was sporting Saber's hairstyle. Smile

Speaking of dead mage, how did he strew his own body parts around the house? oO

I'm very much enjoying this so far, as I like Waver, and the Magical Conan bit is fun. I like his sidekick boys too. I got a kick out of the golems or whatever they were mopping up the place and helpfully gathering up the crystal bits. Even Flat was amused by them, which just shows how sweet he is.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Atrum Gallista will be the ill-fated original master of Caster for the fifth Holy Grail War. He is briefly referenced in the Fate/stay night anime, but I don't believe he was named.

You see a lot more of him in the UBW TV show when it shows Medea's backstory.

Quote:
Her appearance also allows the series to bring up the concept of Mystic Eyes magic, which has popped up in other Nasuverse titles (especially Tsukihime and The Garden of Sinners) but I don't recall it being prominently employed in the Fate animated content.

Mostly just Medusa's Mystic Eyes of Petrification.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4