• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Mignogna Deposition

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:38 pm Reply with quote
GreenBullet3 wrote:
Wait, wait, you're telling me to believe an inexperienced lawyer who knows nothing of Texas litigation over reading the court documents that are available publicly?

You're telling someone to avoid misinformation by going to a source that's spreading nothing but. Just stop sir.

In a weird twist, Mr. Doucette warned people that if you ever see someone posting snippets of a deposition out of context, they're trying to hoodwink you and feed you a narrative. I assume that warning was only so he could play damage control for Monica Rial and Ron Toye when people started looking at their depositions, since he started doing the exact same thing with Vic's deposition as Anime News Network is doing now by only releasing select bits of it. The only thing I'm wondering is what happens if the TCPA is rejected. At this point he's hyped it up as being a 100% surefire dismissal and his 24/7 involvement has effectively turned him into the figurehead for KickVic to the point even Anime News Network are throwing their chips in with him and standing behind him. It would be a very bad look if he was wrong, or worse, just gifting them for money by letting them advertise and donate to his Patreon and GoFundMe.
Anthony.P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
Anthony.P wrote:
If you're sincerely interested in avoiding misinformation, I highly suggest following Twitter Lawyers' take on the entire situation -- since June's infamous lawsuit letter (wherein Vic's lawyers cited a tweet calling him "a piece of shit"[/url] as defamatory), they've been professionally dismantling how laughable this entire case is. (Greg Doucette's typically everyone's go-to guy, but Mike Dunford's meticulous analyses are a personal favorite.

Isn't Greg Doucette the guy who filed for bankruptcy twice and only has 3 cases on Westlaw which says he lost all 3 of them? That man tweets 400 times a day which means he tweets once every 3 minutes or so. Not sure that's a guy I would listen to.

Of course you won't find most of his cases there -- as far as state records go, Westlaw only archives appellate cases.

What his being in poverty have to do with anything? I'd personally find that he worked his way out of rock bottom far more admirable than, uh, conspiracy-peddling grifter YouTubing, but hey.

GreenBullet3 wrote:
Anthony.P wrote:

Wait, wait, you're telling me to believe an inexperienced lawyer who knows nothing of Texas litigation over reading the court documents that are available publicly?

You're telling someone to avoid misinformation by going to a source that's spreading nothing but. Just stop sir.

If you'd rather show said user the documentation where Vic repeatedly admits he can't connect FUNi and co. to convention cancellations and decades worth of allegations, be my guest.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure I read earlier that one of the companies he's doing voice work for on a project lost a major backer earlier, and I mean kudos to them for sticking to there guns and working with him if they think it's the right thing to do but I can't help but wonder if he is guilty how it's going to look on them and what they will do.
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
Pretty sure I read earlier that one of the companies he's doing voice work for on a project lost a major backer earlier, and I mean kudos to them for sticking to there guns and working with him if they think it's the right thing to do but I can't help but wonder if he is guilty how it's going to look on them and what they will do.

It is worth noting that this entire affair has nothing to do with whether or not Vic is innocent or guilty. He isn't on trial. His accusers are. Even if the case is thrown out, he won't face any real repercussions for his decades of actions.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
GreenBullet3 wrote:

Here's the thing: Because defamation laws have to conform to the First Amendment, there's little variation from state to state, and what differences do exist almost always favor the defendant (for instance, anti-SLAPP laws). So, "He's not a Texas lawyer" isn't a compelling argument as long as he knows the basics of the subject.

Quote:

People on ANN have been saying for months that this lawsuit has zero chance of success, and Vic stans have refused to listen. Now there are dozens of lawyers on Twitter laughing about how stupid this lawsuit is, and they still won't listen. It's going to be absolutely hilarious when this gets thrown out of court, and the stans realize they've been stuffing money down a garbage disposal.

When that happens, don't forget that we warned you that Rekieta and Beard are a couple of ambulance chasing hucksters.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love how the people defending Vic completely gave up on the "all his accusers are liars" narrative. Vic was shown to be the real liar by claiming the hotel incident never happened, but Funimation presented video proof that it did.

I guarantee when this lawsuit inevitably gets thrown out, the youtube grifters will say the judge was in on this vast conspiracy against a single voice actor.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Anthony.P wrote:
Of course you won't find most of his cases there -- as far as state records go, Westlaw only archives appellate cases.

What his being in poverty have to do with anything? I'd personally find that he worked his way out of rock bottom far more admirable than, uh, conspiracy-peddling grifter YouTubing, but hey.

Because it shows he's not a very smart person and he's hurting for work. He's a man who leeches off his live-in girlfriend and has to make a GoFundMe everything in his life from his rent, his medicine, and his latest law case (which he lost) because his own podcast and career is dead. At the very least you guys maybe shouldn't be trying to compare him with another lawyer who makes more than enough money so that his wife doesn't have to work and instead can be a stay at home mother and take care of their five kids in a comfortable home and has a podcast that is actually successful Rolling Eyes There's definitely a grift going on here, but it's not the person you're claiming that's doing it.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Neither Rekeita or Doucette's careers are on topic to the content of articles guys, so let's drop both.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
Because it shows he's not a very smart person and he's hurting for work. He's a man who leeches off his live-in girlfriend and has to make a GoFundMe everything in his life from his rent, his medicine, and his latest law case (which he lost) because his own podcast and career is dead. At the very least you guys maybe shouldn't be trying to compare him with another lawyer who makes more than enough money so that his wife doesn't have to work and instead can be a stay at home mother and take care of their five kids in a comfortable home and has a podcast that is actually successful Rolling Eyes There's definitely a grift going on here, but it's not the person you're claiming that's doing it.

surejan.gif

In debate terminology, this is what's known as an ad hominem attack. Doucette's financial problems and Rekieta's alleged success have nothing to do with the the soundness of the arguments. Why don't you address the actual contents of the filings. How are the depositions and affadavits not devastating to Mignogna's case? How is there any standing to claim that he had a good reputation that could be damaged by what's been said about him, when (A) many of the claims are, by his own admission, substantially true, and (B) much worse has been said about him for decades.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I thought the mods wanted to be rid of the Vic drama but creating an article in addition to covering the unfolding story seems like masochism...Confused
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I thought the mods wanted to be rid of the Vic drama but creating an article in addition to covering the unfolding story seems like masochism...Confused

This is a lawsuit involving extremely-visible voice actors, concerning allegations of improper behavior towards underaged fans over a period of a decade-and-change. Reporting on this stuff isn't masochism, it's due diligence towards the anime fandom.

There's a word for news outlets cowtowing to bullies that try to keep them quiet. ANN isn't one to wear that word, and for that I thank them. This is some seriously phenomenal journalism here (signed: a guy that's actually worked at newspapers).

Incidentally: The Tekkoshocon entry doesn't seem to work?
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
If you still have confidence in Vic winning, you probably haven’t read Vic’s case. Just saying.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this whole deposition is a disaster for Vic. I'm unsure if we'll ever see a suit against him personally, but I don't think we need to. This whole thing has pretty much blown his career to hell and he has only himself to blame.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:30 am Reply with quote
The Tekkoshocon link isn't working.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:40 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
The Tekkoshocon link isn't working.

They're still working on finalizing the article. Apparently it's gonna be a big one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12