• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Mignogna Deposition

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:45 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
The Tekkoshocon link isn't working.

They're still working on finalizing the article. Apparently it's gonna be a big one.

You would think they had a system together for creating an article, editing it, and THEN publishing it...
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:54 am Reply with quote
Caloris wrote:
You missed the other option,
the defendants realized Mignogna has no case and that taking it to trial will be a waste of the courts time and have thus filed for the court to throw the case out with Mignogna to pay the defendants legal fees.

No, the defendants "realized" nothing. Vic is suing Funimation, Monica, her fiance Ron, and Jamie for defamation and tortious interference. In states that have laws that allow for it, the natural first move for defendants is to attempt to get such a lawsuit dismissed on ground that it's frivolous and intended to do nothing more than silence them for speaking out when they've done nothing wrong. The TCPA is a law that Texas has that allows for that, and so the defendants are merely doing the natural thing and availing themselves of it in an attempt to get the lawsuit thrown out early. Their success is far from guaranteed, but it's worth the attempt.

In short, the defendants filing TCPA motions is fairly unremarkable. It's an expected step for this kind of lawsuit in Texas. All it means is that the defendants are finally taking a step that they should have taken a couple months ago if Vic's claims against them are as empty as they claim.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:14 am Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
In short, the defendants filing TCPA motions is fairly unremarkable. It's an expected step for this kind of lawsuit in Texas. All it means is that the defendants are finally taking a step that they should have taken a couple months ago if Vic's claims against them are as empty as they claim.

In short, your comment is utter baloney meant to cast aspersions on the defendants. In the real world, proper legal documents take time to prepare.
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:02 am Reply with quote
I’ve read much of the depositions and the affidavits. This guy has been working with the same MO for 30 years. He obviously doesn’t appreciate the seriousness of the claims—he demonstrated during his own depo how he would pull a woman’s hair. He is a pest and, I will reiterate, has no business in our community. It’s not just him. There are others. But I hope that one of the things we gain in removing these parasites is that victims will feel more enabled and empowered to speak up. The goal is for all fans to feel safe at conventions, and for all voice actresses to sound the alarm without being labeled a “problem.”
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:15 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
GrayArchon wrote:

In short, your comment is utter baloney meant to cast aspersions on the defendants. In the real world, proper legal documents take time to prepare.

For things that should be simple they take a few weeks at best. Things like a TCPA motion given that the whole point of of such an anti-SLAPP statute is to stop a frivolous lawsuit before the expenses of discovery and deposition. Indeed as I recall, Monica, Ron, and Funimation are all beyond their original deadlines for filing a TCPA. The deadlines were extended via agreement between the lawyers to accommodate Monica and Ron's lawyer being forced to promise the judge that he wouldn't file a TCPA motion until after Monica and Ron had been deposed. A promise that was only needed because he was in a rush to depose Vic, while insisting on deposing Vic before Monica and Ron. A while refusing a common confidentiality agreement of the sort that Funimation and Jamie's lawyers have apparently had no issue with.

So again, if Vic's claims were empty as Funimation, and the others say, they shouldn't have even needed his deposition to get the case dismissed. It's not a good look for Monica and Ron in particular that they felt they needed his deposition to argue that the case should be dismissed. The more arguing they need to do, the more likely the judge will decide that there's enough of a material dispute that a jury needs to be the ones to decide the case. It's still worthwhile for them to make the effort, but Funimation and Jamie have a much better chance of getting out of the lawsuit at this stage than Monica and Ron, and even for them I'd say it's 50/50.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:17 am Reply with quote
Just read through everything regarding the deposition. I did hear stories of him in the past being hard to deal with at conventions, but assumed that was more due to personality clashes that only affected him while at conventions. But after reading all this damning testimony of his predatory behavior, safe to say his career as a voice actor is done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:44 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

In a weird twist, Mr. Doucette warned people that if you ever see someone posting snippets of a deposition out of context, they're trying to hoodwink you and feed you a narrative. I assume that warning was only so he could play damage control for Monica Rial and Ron Toye when people started looking at their depositions, since he started doing the exact same thing with Vic's deposition as Anime News Network is doing now by only releasing select bits of it.

He did post the original documents for people to read on their own, though.

ANN is summarizing what happened, which isn't any different from what was in the depositions. They've linked their original articles, that also has source links to the documents.

I know people don't like to read, but you are certainly taking things out of context to fit your own narrative lol.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:06 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

ANN is summarizing what happened, which isn't any different from what was in the depositions. They've linked their original articles, that also has source links to the documents.

I know people don't like to read, but you are certainly taking things out of context to fit your own narrative lol.

They do not. I'm being thrown around in a closed garden loop of ANN articles with 2 total external links:
1 that goes to TexasLawhelp.org regarding Anti-SLAPP and another that goes to the re:Search TX database.

I understand that if I were to look around, I could certainly find it but within the confines of ANN, I admittedly cannot find a direct link to their sources, only references of their sourcing. If you can find the direct links (on the ann site), please let me know as I feel like I'm getting dizzy from rotating the same 5 or so articles that all reference each other and genuinely want to read its entirety but it's certainly not possible staying within this site.

Side note to any admin: There's a broken link in animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-07-29/mignogna-deposition-vic-mignogna-admits-to-pulling-jamie-marchi-hair-denies-it-was-sexual/.149114

where the second link that goes to another ann article has incorrect syntax.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:24 am Reply with quote
Fixed the one link. I'll go through and add links in the articles but if you want to read the court documents yourself...

Mignogna's deposition: animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/interest.2/149114/2019-06-26-victor-mignogna-deposition-4up.pdf

Monica Rial & Ronald Toye's Motion to Dismiss: animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/interest.2/149401/rial-and-toye-tcpa-motion-to-dismiss.pdf

Funimation's Motion to Dismiss: animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/interest.2/149401/2019-07-01-funimation-tcpa-motion-to-dismiss.pdf

Marchi's Motion to Dismiss: animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/interest.2/149401/2019.07.19_tcpamotiontodismiss.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ranran-001

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:26 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Just read through everything regarding the deposition. I did hear stories of him in the past being hard to deal with at conventions, but assumed that was more due to personality clashes that only affected him while at conventions. But after reading all this damning testimony of his predatory behavior, safe to say his career as a voice actor is done.

The irony is that the initial TCPA's that were submitted to the judge had redacted copies of Vic's deposition. Had Vic's lawyer not hand over non-redacted material to Nick, perhaps some of the worst stuff brought up in the deposition would not have been made available for everyone to see.

Vic admitting to sexual harassment, regardless if he felt it wasn't, is a pretty damning admission and one he probably wished his lawyer didn't share.

Another alarming bit in Vic's depo is when Lemoine, Monica and Ron's lawyer asked Vic about his time as a school teacher in Jacksonville. The line of questioning suggested that Vic couldn't remember if he was fired from his job for inappropriate conduct with minors or if he left the job voluntarily.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:43 am Reply with quote
Ah, Octopodie, thank you for posting.

I deleted everything else :3

Just a side note. Research TX isn't free, but there was someone who purchased the docs and posted it on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/shane_holmberg/status/1139312571020914688

In any case, admin helped so thanks
Zerreth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:02 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Fixed the one link. I'll go through and add links in the articles but if you want to read the court documents yourself...

Mignogna's deposition: animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/interest.2/149114/2019-06-26-victor-mignogna-deposition-4up.pdf

Monica Rial & Ronald Toye's Motion to Dismiss: animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/interest.2/149401/rial-and-toye-tcpa-motion-to-dismiss.pdf

Funimation's Motion to Dismiss: animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/interest.2/149401/2019-07-01-funimation-tcpa-motion-to-dismiss.pdf

Marchi's Motion to Dismiss: animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/interest.2/149401/2019.07.19_tcpamotiontodismiss.pdf

Thank you for that. I vaguely recall reading Funimation's motion but I can't exactly remember if I read it from the original ANN article. Just wanted to say I appreciate your work.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:43 am Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
For things that should be simple they take a few weeks at best. Things like a TCPA motion given that the whole point of of such an anti-SLAPP statute is to stop a frivolous lawsuit before the expenses of discovery and deposition. Indeed as I recall, Monica, Ron, and Funimation are all beyond their original deadlines for filing a TCPA. The deadlines were extended via agreement between the lawyers to accommodate Monica and Ron's lawyer being forced to promise the judge that he wouldn't file a TCPA motion until after Monica and Ron had been deposed. A promise that was only needed because he was in a rush to depose Vic, while insisting on deposing Vic before Monica and Ron. A while refusing a common confidentiality agreement of the sort that Funimation and Jamie's lawyers have apparently had no issue with.

They're taking their sweet time because they want to nuke Mignogna. The TCPA motions are total overkill, going above and beyond what's necessary. They're putting in the record every bad thing they can connect him to.

And under Texas law, if the judge decides this is a SLAPP case, Mignogna is on the hook for all the defendants' legal fees.

This isn't some haphazard case. This is a very careful plan to not only stop the suit, but to punish Mignogna for bringing it in the first place.
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:55 am Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
Vic was shown to be the real liar by claiming the hotel incident never happened, but Funimation presented video proof that it did.

There's video evidence of the hotel incident? I ask because the only videos I have seen regarding this case are the depositions.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I thought the mods wanted to be rid of the Vic drama but creating an article in addition to covering the unfolding story seems like masochism...Confused

Yes, because the mods are also the news staff and column writers. Rolling Eyes And of course ANN shouldn't cover something important like this just because some people can't act like decent proper people with their comments. That's a great idea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12