• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fire Force

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
James_Beckett wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
I wonder if James is watching it dubbed or subbed. Same day dubs make it harder to know and I would love to hear more commentary on the dub from him as it airs.

Unless I specifically mention the dub, it's generally safe to assume I'm watching streaming series subtitled.

I would love to hear more quotes about your opinion on the dub throughout the season if that's possible (not just a 1 or 2 episode the dub sounds good/bad so far). Would that be at all possible since they are same day?

With everything going on today Re: the KyoAni tragedy, it's difficult to say what the situation with Fire Force is going to be moving forward. We usually reserve our thoughts on the dubs for when we update the Preview Guide with dub impressions, so you can look forward to that coming out sometime soon. I can certainly explore what the options might be for including more thoughts on the English performances in future writeups.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
James_Beckett wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
I wonder if James is watching it dubbed or subbed. Same day dubs make it harder to know and I would love to hear more commentary on the dub from him as it airs.

Unless I specifically mention the dub, it's generally safe to assume I'm watching streaming series subtitled.

I would love to hear more quotes about your opinion on the dub throughout the season if that's possible (not just a 1 or 2 episode the dub sounds good/bad so far). Would that be at all possible since they are same day?

With everything going on today Re: the KyoAni tragedy, it's difficult to say what the situation with Fire Force is going to be moving forward. We usually reserve our thoughts on the dubs for when we update the Preview Guide with dub impressions, so you can look forward to that coming out sometime soon. I can certainly explore what the options might be for including more thoughts on the English performances in future writeups.

Thanks! I know there is ALOT GOING ON RIGHT NOW! I wasnt trying to be selfish or anything (just a thought/curiosity since they are same day)

The only reason I even asked is I usually stay away from episode reviews on this site since I "generally" prefer to watch the dub (same day dubs make that less of an issue now) and just hearing the occasional "this villain in episode 8 was crazy good sounding in the dub" or something like that would be cool to hear on occasion.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
I "generally" prefer to watch the dub (same day dubs make that less of an issue now) and just hearing the occasional "this villain in episode 8 was crazy good sounding in the dub" or something like that would be cool to hear on occasion.

I’m watching both the sub and dub for this one. If it helps, here’s what I wrote about the dub in the Summer Preview talkback: “I felt that the voice acting for Shinra as a kid was very artificial, like someone pretending to be a kid (oof, that laugh was painful to listen to), rather than sounding like a real child. Also, some comedy was watered down in translation. I think what Sister says in the shower scene about Maki’s brain is so much funnier in the sub than the dub (even though the dub might be more natural English), and Obi’s dub comment about Shinra staring/sniffing at Maki’s cleavage/closeness loses the zingy sexual double-entendre of the sub.“

Would love to hear from others who have watch both what their take was. Have to say I didn’t find the same to be true for episode 2. I felt the dub version in ep2 was fine.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:41 pm Reply with quote
HO-LEE crap, episode 3 was gorgeous. This is no longer "maybe" the best looking show this season, it's just flat out the best directed and animated show I'm watching right now. From the fight scene animation to the visual composition in some of the slower paced scenes to the continuing great use of the glowing rings on the firefighting gear, and of course the fire itself. I am in love with how this show looks.

The new cat character isn't actually that annoying to me, as her archetype goes, but boy is that character trait bad. I don't even get what's going on with it; the fact that she has a name for it (Lucky Lecher Lure...oh dear) means that I guess it's something she's aware of in universe, but is it like a literal curse or something? Or crap like that just happens to her a lot somehow? Like I get that these characters have fire magic, but so far the magic stuff hasn't seemed to include something like a bad luck curse, so I dunno.

I just hope they don't use it too much. I can file it safely away as "anime bullsh&#" if I only have to ignore it like, every couple episodes.

I'm more into this show than ever, it's moving quickly but making good use of Shonen shorthand so I don't feel left behind, and the genericness of the plot so far is more than made up for by the beautiful look of the world and sets we are given. 5/5 to me.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I am now really curious what edits/cuts they had to make to this episode there is one super obvious one in the ending but
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:01 am Reply with quote
Gosh, that "fanservice" is so... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Arthur's knight shtick or the "gorilla cyclops" thing are also bound to get real old real soon. The animation is fine and i'm vaguely interested in the plot (though it mostly is "typical shounen manga plotting" as the review puts it), but this will most likely be the first show i'm going to drop this season.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Certainly most professional women firefighters wear outfits like that on the job.

I might give this another episode to see if it can return to the level of seriousness it showed in the second half of episode two, but probably not.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I am now really curious what edits/cuts they had to make to this episode there is one super obvious one in the ending but

There is a character missing, unless I just missed him because I think he was brief. spoiler[But it's a dude who had fire coming out of his hands and was acting scared of it] but like I said I could of missed him.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I found the third episode mostly so-so (though I loved the direction in the last 5 minutes with the boat and the building in the background, was reminiscent of Oshii's works).

The bad guys seemed like a classic case of crazy character who the author use to move the plot along without having to explain anything, with his motive just being "he's crazy".

The fan service was just... urk. I mean, he somehow managed to get his hand under the bra? And her power involve cat ear... because? She really is just the fanservice character.

The whole "maybe the organisation is the real evil" just reminded me of Bleach and such, and not really in a good way. It can work if it's tightly written and the characters involved have clear motivation, but more often than not those are never really explored and it just turn into bad guys are bad because there bad, with some sappy backstory thrown in at some point.

Still look good though, and delaying by a week was a classy move.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I thought episode 3 was good with beautiful action scenes, some political intrigue to add complexity to the story, and a bit of fanservice to spice up the episode. I do find it odd that anyone is surprised that Fire Force would include fanservice since it is from the same mangaka that made Soul Eater. Considering his manga he seems to like action, fanservice, cat girls, witches, and Arthurian legends. The villain is a little over the top but that too was something that was often seen in Soul Eater.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I do find it odd that anyone is surprised that Fire Force would include fanservice since it is from the same mangaka that made Soul Eater. Considering his manga he seems to like action, fanservice, cat girls, witches, and Arthurian legends. The villain is a little over the top but that too was something that was often seen in Soul Eater.
I don't mind fan service at all. I think the fan service we've gotten for Maki has been great so far, helped immensely that I'm a fan of her muscular character design and general competence. In fairness, I think the muscular firemen in the department are due some fan service of their own, they have great strong character designs that doubtless would have their own fans, and a shonen fire station should provide plenty of opportunities for relatively unobtrusive fan service.

What I found incredibly eye-rolling was the conceit that the new character has, as an actual in-universe trait, a tendency to be "accidentally" groped and put into unwilling sexual situations. And apparently this is a common enough thing in the universe that she throws out a name for it (which is also incredibly eye-rolling) and then the show moves on without some kind of context for why in the nine hells something like this could just happen to a person.

That makes no sense for the actual universe of the show, which just calls attention to the real reason it's in the show: for the sake of the audience. That would tear me right out of things even if it weren't for the fact that the "Lucky Lecher Lure" is also skeevy and gross in its own right.

tl;dr - I'm fine with fanservice, but the new character is a ridiculously lazy, unrealistic, and obtrusive way to include it that feels really out of touch.
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
I do find it odd that anyone is surprised that Fire Force would include fanservice since it is from the same mangaka that made Soul Eater. Considering his manga he seems to like action, fanservice, cat girls, witches, and Arthurian legends. The villain is a little over the top but that too was something that was often seen in Soul Eater.

tl;dr - I'm fine with fanservice, but the new character is a ridiculously lazy, unrealistic, and obtrusive way to include it that feels really out of touch.

^^same

For instance, try comparing Blair from Soul eater to New girl. Their both catgirls after all.

Also, did anybody notice any "censorship" in this episode aside from the scene in the ED
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
The "Lucky Lecher Lure" thing is extremely tasteless given the rates at which women in Japan are sexually assaulted. Hard pass.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Yeah I found the third episode mostly so-so (though I loved the direction in the last 5 minutes with the boat and the building in the background, was reminiscent of Oshii's works).

The bad guys seemed like a classic case of crazy character who the author use to move the plot along without having to explain anything, with his motive just being "he's crazy".

The fan service was just... urk. I mean, he somehow managed to get his hand under the bra? And her power involve cat ear... because? She really is just the fanservice character.

The whole "maybe the organisation is the real evil" just reminded me of Bleach and such, and not really in a good way. It can work if it's tightly written and the characters involved have clear motivation, but more often than not those are never really explored and it just turn into bad guys are bad because there bad, with some sappy backstory thrown in at some point.

Still look good though, and delaying by a week was a classy move.

Here me out - Maybe she is like a black cat, and just unlucky and it's buying into that superstition. That said I wouldn't attribute Tamaki role to purely fan service. It really bothered me at first but I dunno I grew to like her, and I found the reactions to people falling into her bad luck pretty funny.
DCR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:04 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
[
And apparently this is a common enough thing in the universe that she throws out a name for it (which is also incredibly eye-rolling).

It doesn't have a name because it's common in-universe.
It has a name because it's common in shonen manga (although it's usually in love comedies)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17