• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Vinland Saga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:42 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
Quote:
Seeing as Thorfinn is the true main character of a story that's only just begun

Not at all. If anything this entire season will very strongly be focused on the beastly Askeladd.

And rightly so because Askeladd =Best Boy!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
sure, if he'd just cut off Askeladd's head, it's likely that he and the other villagers would have just been killed anyway, ... If Thors had been willing to ... just kill the man, Thorfinn might still have a father.

So which is it?

I got why they left on a smaller boat(s), but why did they leave without Thorfinn? "He was hiding" doesn't seem like much of a reason.
poltroon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:11 am Reply with quote
Thors was such a great character and I'm so sorry to lose him from the story.

Thorfinn. Sigh.

I'm probably the only one here who winced about the pick of 8 nice ewes to such an evil bastard in that first episode. I had to take a break to get over it. That would be a very expensive trade and potentially years of setback.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Ep 4 made me cryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
That was a really powerful episode and well-worth the weeks long wait for its broadcast. I'm glad we won't have to wait that long between each episode anymore though.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
there's a bloodthirsty fury in the boy's eyes that suggest he's learned exactly the wrong lesson from Thors' death

Honestly, given the OP, this is the impression I get of the show as a whole, which I really hope isn't true. Plenty of people like this and the author of Planetes has amazed me in the past after a start I wasn't a particular fan of before, so I'm reserving judgement, but I've been burned in the past.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:14 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Quote:
there's a bloodthirsty fury in the boy's eyes that suggest he's learned exactly the wrong lesson from Thors' death

Honestly, given the OP, this is the impression I get of the show as a whole, which I really hope isn't true. Plenty of people like this and the author of Planetes has amazed me in the past after a start I wasn't a particular fan of before, so I'm reserving judgement, but I've been burned in the past.

I don’t understand what’s at stake of burning you here.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:31 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Quote:

Yeah that's really my only worries at this point, I don't really feel like spending the next 10 episodes with angry/screeching emo Thorfin, so hopefully he's written in a more interesting or he grows out of it real quick.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:18 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:
Quote:

Yeah that's really my only worries at this point, I don't really feel like spending the next 10 episodes with angry/screeching emo Thorfin, so hopefully he's written in a more interesting or he grows out of it real quick.

He’s not constantly angry or screeching, he’s just really quiet & chill. He’s a rather good worker.
Ruddor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:11 pm Reply with quote
All I could think about while reading the episode 5 review:
"The day Askeladd killed your father was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tyr's day."
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:35 am Reply with quote
The anime sure seems to love chibi!Thorfinn, i don't remember any of this being in the manga (but i might be wrong, it's been a while...)? Though i did appreciate them showing us a bit more of Ylva's and Helga's reactions to Thors' death.

But overall, i'm ready to move on and finally meet spoiler[Thorkell and Canute]...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:03 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't recall the events of episode 5 from the manga at all, but I don't mind the inclusion of the more immediate reactions of Thorfinn after Thors' death. In the manga we had already been introduced to who Thorfinn has grown up to be and his determination to slay Askeladd in a duel, so the transition from child to teenager didn't seem to abrupt. I feel this episode will help ease the transition for the anime-only viewers as they have not seen the in-media-res content from the beginning chapters of Vinland Saga.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
Yeah, pretty much everything with Thorfinn this episode was anime-original. I was a bit worried when I saw the preview, but it turned out really well and I think they did a great job capturing the tone and tension of Thorfinn and Askeladd's rapport.

The parts with Ylva and Helga are actually from a side-chapter that was included with the collected volumes (volume 3, I think?) and I'm really glad it was included.
anddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:16 am Reply with quote
Save the Ylva stuff, this was a filler episode. Looking forward to Wit getting back on track next week.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
When they are on land the show looks gorgeous, when they are out at sea it looks ugly as sin.I get why on zoomed out shots they would use CG for the water, but when they are close up it just looks unnatural, and it would not have been that hard to draw a few waves next to the boat. And the boats themselves look off.
HannoX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the part concerning Ylva and Helga. Given the time this is set, the hard physical labor required to make a living, and her apparent age it is time Ylva found a husband. But where is she going to find a man worthy of her?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13