• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dr. Stone

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Killing off your protagonist four episodes into the story sure is a bold move, but it's also one I don't fully buy at this point. There's some tricky editing at play here for one thing

I don't think this will come down to tricky editing. Senku (sheer speculation)spoiler[did something to his neck when he audibly cracked it just before asking Tsukasa to kill him quickly with one blow to the neck. I fear we're going to get some chiropractic bullshit to explain what he did], but however they explain it, I'm pretty sure that's going to be the out.

So why does Yuzuriha have spirals when everyone else has jagged lines? That's an odd way for skin to split. Does she moisturize? Smile
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:49 pm Reply with quote
^She's an Uzumaki... Smile
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I just jumped into this show over the weekend, and I kind of love it's old-school esque feel combined with cool science (that I don't know enough about to say one way or another if it's legit), but god dangit, Yuzuriha's outfit kinda drives me bonkers--not so much for the fanservice (that's pretty run-of-the-mill for these kinds of shows), but because it's so bizarrely breezy. I mean, she should be feeling a draft every time she takes a step! Makes me cold just looking at it! >.<
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:21 am Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
Though the gunpowder bit did reach whole new levels of "Say kids! Don't try this at home!" potential mishaps!

I mean kids are literally watching this.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I think the best part of the "gunpowder" dialogue was Senku somewhat off-handedly but seriously mentioning that many people attempting to make it suffered maiming, loss of vital appendages and that it can be "easily lethal". Smart kids hearing that would be sure to think twice or take added precautions which could keep them from serious hurt. Most wouldn't try it at all.

However, that sequence is troubling because they opted to give the show legitimacy by including the proper ingredients and even some extra "touches" and by saying "this is legit, don't try it" they will incite kids to try it all the more. I was one of those 8 year olds trying to make blackpowder with easy to get (and not so effective) sodium nitrate. If I had seen this show, I would have gotten the much better and harder to get (now regulated) potassium nitrate and despite leaving out the exact "proper" ratios it wouldn't have been hard to try various combos until something went "bang".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:55 am Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I hope I'm not posting too much but like Senku said, if I do it's because "it's exhilarating..." It's rare when a show gets so much right, about science and engineering and thier real methodologies and balances the place human drive, imagination and curiosity play in wanting to try new things when "smart" people say "that's stupid, you can't do that, that won't work...". This week's (monkey) commentators have their counterparts all over (even universities and industry R&D)

And shout out to Gina, it's fun to be right and you were!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:21 am Reply with quote
I wasn't exactly right, but since they foreshadowed a bit of the truth with her foot and previous explanations about healing, and didn't resort to a chiropractic solution, I'm more than satisfied. Very Happy

I was also quite pleased with Senku's initial efforts to survive. Every time I thought they were going to pull some BS shortcut on me, nope, they showed that it would be BS and followed through with a more realistic progression. Major props for that! And the monkeys were a great touch!

The part of the episode that was most interesting to me, new info-wise, was the confirmation that you can escape the petrification without the revival juice, by sheer force of will. Which is necessary since other people have emerged and not all of them would've been lucky enough to get dripped on like Taiju. I'm surprised that Tsukasa wasn't also able to do that. Maybe he was on the verge and that's why he was so ready to spring into action when he was restored?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:24 am Reply with quote
On Taiji's revival, I appreciate that Ep6 shows that it spoiler[wasn't luck]! That and the "neck" bit are just two examples of why I have been saying that the show has intelligent writing, nothing is superfluous and will come into play eventually. The author integrates clues to coming plot points very organically and that takes planning and thought I seldom see in anime.

Now, I was dreading that they would try to "explain" the preservation technique and how the stone got on everyone even under clothes and inside enclosed spaces not exposed to the "green light", so saying mass-energy conversion was at work made my eyes roll a little. At least it wasn't Cold Fusion...Now we're left with the question "how is a swallow like a person"? Still loving the show though...
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The part of the episode that was most interesting to me, new info-wise, was the confirmation that you can escape the petrification without the revival juice, by sheer force of will. Which is necessary since other people have emerged and not all of them would've been lucky enough to get dripped on like Taiju. I'm surprised that Tsukasa wasn't also able to do that. Maybe he was on the verge and that's why he was so ready to spring into action when he was restored?

Senku still needed the nitric acid found within bat guano (lucky he wound up near that cave). It's just that another component needed is some sort of energy. Senku was constantly thinking, so energy was going through his brains, and Taiju was also keeping an active mind to a lesser extent. Senku had to come up with a different formula that would work on someone even if they had lost consciousness while petrified.
Matsuzuka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:13 pm Reply with quote
No offence to the reviewer, but where is the review? I just wasted my time reading an episode summary.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
Matsuzuka wrote:
No offence to the reviewer, but where is the review? I just wasted my time reading an episode summary.

For that matter, who is the reviewer? Or in this case the summarizer.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:01 am Reply with quote
Fred Lougee wrote:
Matsuzuka wrote:

Unless something changed it's Andy Pfeiffer.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:52 am Reply with quote
Andy wrote:
it's not an unwelcome change on expectations, especially considering how quickly Tsukasa has adopted a policy of justified violence.

I think that's been his policy from the moment he was revived.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Fred Lougee wrote:

Yeah, this is not the first time that the review has been posted without Andy’s byline ( but added in at a later date). Not sure what’s going on, some technical glitch?

Nonetheless, really digging the show. I know it’s an old-fashioned word, but the show has such great verve. I never tire of that Bill Nye/MacGyver energy. The joy of science and discovery.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5